Beretta 1301 update: (Remington 1100 Tactical Model Experience?)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Ended up with 1301 so updated thread last post:
    Kinda getting into tactical shotguns a bit (MB 590, KSG, 870 Tact and a Saiga 12 with 20 round drum) and I'm thinking about adding a 1100. Anybody have personal experience with this gun in the tactical form? I know I'll have to wait til after the panic to actually get one at a reasonable price but wanted to start thinking about it now. Thanks,
    Ed

Last edited:

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Going forward I'd be looking at a semi auto and I was a pump gun all the way type, largely due to my age. That was also starting from a hunting perspective.

There is some merit to a semi auto. In the past not so much. Reliability (and flexibility) was a question in the past, but I think it no longer is.

Mag fed = Meh for me on a shotgun. ( no experience with detachable mag fed SGs, so I'd like to hear your experience)
    Take the 590 M for example. It doesn't feed any shell you throw at it. It cant feed from the tube mag. It supposedly needs the mag in to port feed, but I'd say that is not true. The bulk and expense of the mags kind of kill it for me. But that is just for the way I envision it being used. Mags being available from limited sources is not the best situation in my opinion.

I was more of a SG proponent in the past. Now I am more likely to just go with a rifle or handgun. I think a SG has it's place though.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    Going forward I'd be looking at a semi auto and I was a pump gun all the way type, largely due to my age. That was also starting from a hunting perspective.

There is some merit to a semi auto. In the past not so much. Reliability (and flexibility) was a question in the past, but I think it no longer is.

Mag fed = Meh for me on a shotgun. ( no experience with detachable mag fed SGs, so I'd like to hear your experience)
    Take the 590 M for example. It doesn't feed any shell you throw at it. It cant feed from the tube mag. It supposedly needs the mag in to port feed, but I'd say that is not true. The bulk and expense of the mags kind of kill it for me. But that is just for the way I envision it being used. Mags being available from limited sources is not the best situation in my opinion.

I was more of a SG proponent in the past. Now I am more likely to just go with a rifle or handgun. I think a SG has it's place though.

Agree on the mag-fed. Was excited when they first came out but after some consideration I think they may be harder to handle in close quarters. And a conventional SG with 6-9 rounds in the tube and more readily available in a side saddle and/or speed feed stock, I'm not sure that there would be many scenarios where I'd really need the quicker reload capabilities of the detachable mag.
    (I view my Saiga 12 with a drum more of a range toy/novelty or full out zombie hunter :)
    I'm thinking that modern autos are quite reliable in hunting form (my son and grandsons have several) so the 1100 tact should be also.
    Thanks for the insight.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I think Benelli is the champ for the autoloading "tactical" shotguns. I usually stick to the ole reliable 870 but I borrowed a friends Benelli last year for qualifications and it was a sweet shooter

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Back in the early days of Multi gun 1100's and 1187's were the just about the only gas gun in the game, and long term reliability was always suspect and parts breakage was common. There are better options today in gas operated semi's.
    I'm a Benelli M1/M2 fan as they fit me well and are extremely reliable. I have no experience with the M4.
    I have a Mossberg 930 that runs 100%, but does not point well for me. The Beretta 1301 would be a good one as well.
    I'll pass on current Remington's as quality control isn't what it once was.

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    Back in the early days of Multi gun 1100's and 1187's were the just about the only gas gun in the game, and long term reliability was always suspect and parts breakage was common. There are better options today in gas operated semi's.
    I'm a Benelli M1/M2 fan as they fit me well and are extremely reliable. I have no experience with the M4.
    I have a Mossberg 930 that runs 100%, but does not point well for me. The Beretta 1301 would be a good one as well.
    I'll pass on current Remington's as quality control isn't what it once was.

Words from a man who knows what his talking about!
    When I use to run Remington's the gas o ring were the weak link.
    Benelli M1/M2 for reliably and speed. also a ton of after market add ons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=265o1AdkYjk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_I0DWmVfwM

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I took a skeet class in college at UNO. 3 classes. Shooting a round of skeet twice a week. With 1970's era 1100's. Say 30 rounds each. That's 180 rounds a week x say 16 weeks = 480 shells x 2 semesters so almost a thousand rounds. With no cleanings. We cleaned the guns for the first time in a year. Cleaned with WD-40 (well, not mine! I snuck in bottles of Benchrest and CLP...) We loaded our own shells- mostly people who hadn't a clue- double loads, no powder, no shot sometimes, no wads even. Shells that were failing from overuse. Cheap powder and #12 shot. Messy. Very few problems with the guns. 30 guns treated like that. Very few problems that weren't ammo related. I was impressed.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m an 1100 fan.

I’ve always had great luck with 1100’s and 1187’s. I own both. No problems with feeding, jams or other malfunctions.

I have one friend who once had a broken “O” ring. He said “maybe I should start cleaning it.”

The first new firearm that I owned was an 1100. It was purchased with money that I earned from the first actual job I had. I was 16 and my mother had to buy it for me.

My dad was in the USMC [Korea] and he trained me in firearm cleaning and care. I had to demonstrate cleaning of any firearm before I was approved to shoot it.

Naively, I thought everyone cleaned their guns.

In the early 70’s I dated a girl whose father had 1100’s in every gauge, and both lefties and righties in 12 and 20. From my perspective, he didn’t take care of them.

On several occasions I saw him when he returned home from duck hunting. His usual “cleaning” procedure was performed outside in the yard:
    • open the action and run a water hose down the barrel.
    • run water from the breach out the end of the barrel.
    • spray huge amounts of WD40 down the barrel and in the action.
    • put it in the corner on newspaper to catch and absorb excess water and WD40.
    • before a hunt, spray the action and down the barrel with WD40.

He invited me once to go on a hunt with him. As a “thank-you” for the invitation, I decided to properly clean a couple of his shotguns.

I was horrified. The interiors had massive amounts of gunk and sorghum seeds. The barrels were equally nasty. Yet they all worked.

That’s not a guarantee that they would have continued to work. But I was impressed with how much abuse they took.

I still clean mine after hunts. The right way. I’ve never had to replace a part since the purchase in 1969.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Having shot Benelli's side by side with a Beretta 1301 decked out in Aridus Industries parts, I would take the Beretta all day every day.

My BIL is a big time duck hunter and can afford whatever. He only buys beretta and said they are the best hands down over benelli. I’ll take his word for it because they are both above my spending limit for a scatter gun. That being said, I’ve shot a few benelli tactical SBS at work and they were nice. They were the older models though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My BIL is a big time duck hunter and can afford whatever. He only buys beretta and said they are the best hands down over benelli. I’ll take his word for it because they are both above my spending limit for a scatter gun. That being said, I’ve shot a few benelli tactical SBS at work and they were nice. They were the older models though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 1301 I shot was amazing. It's very light for a gas gun and had very little felt recoil. This isn't the exact shotgun I fired, but it's very similar. The 1301 I shot had a Holosun 507c on it and the circle dot was great with Flite Control 00 Buck at 15 yards.

As far as shotguns go, Beretta makes a good one. I was able to shoot a Silver Pigeon at a clay shoot and if I ever decide to buy an O/U, that's the one I want.

qtWcBEp.jpg

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    tactical purpose=beretta 1301 or maybe 1301 comp
    hunting purpose=beretta a400 extreme

i have sold the 1301 cause i had bigger and better things i wanted, and scattergun doesnt really fit my needs.. if i ran across a good deal again i would deff pick it up. I duck hunt alot and have played the pass the gun to the left in the blind pleanty time, of all the guns i have shot benellie kicks a little less than a pump, followed by browning, then rem 1187 and a400 is lightest kicking and easiest to handle.. also with 1301, killed alot of deer with buck shot outta 870,1187, single shots, brownings, and the 1301 slings standard buck shot like light dove load

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      234.6 KB · Views: 228
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      230.5 KB · Views: 189
    Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    of course i had and got rid of mine way before they had a aftermarket parts for it, magpul wasnt an option and nortic just came out with tube extension, i ran mine with a rmr for a while and worked great.. with all the aftermarket options for it now its a no brainer for me

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    of course i had and got rid of mine way before they had a aftermarket parts for it, magpul wasnt an option and nortic just came out with tube extension, i ran mine with a rmr for a while and worked great.. with all the aftermarket options for it now its a no brainer for me

LTT offers a service to install all of the Aridus parts for around $500, which isn't horrible. The Aridus parts are not cheap and you will end up with a $3k shotgun after an optic and all parts are added, but for a shotgun... it's tough to beat.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    LTT offers a service to install all of the Aridus parts for around $500, which isn't horrible. The Aridus parts are not cheap and you will end up with a $3k shotgun after an optic and all parts are added, but for a shotgun... it's tough to beat.

Good input - now I have the Beretta to research / price while I recover from this China Virus. Thanks, guys.
    Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom