Colt SAA’s Reputation??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Luapgib

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2016
    Walker, LA
    Colt SAA revolvers are going for crazy amounts of money right now. But are they really that high quality of a gun? It’s really a simple action, but yet contains a couple of parts inside that have a reputation of breaking (safety notch on the hammer and hand spring for example), rendering the gun useless if broken. Is it just the nostalgia from television Westerns or is the gun truly a dependable work of art driving their desirability? What says the Bayou Shooter community? I’m curious to hear some opinions on this.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Colt SAA revolvers are going for crazy amounts of money right now. But are they really that high quality of a gun? It’s really a simple action, but yet contains a couple of parts inside that have a reputation of breaking (safety notch on the hammer and hand spring for example), rendering the gun useless if broken. Is it just the nostalgia from television Westerns or is the gun truly a dependable work of art driving their desirability? What says the Bayou Shooter community? I’m curious to hear some opinions on this.

Its nostalgia. Its the original. Gen 1's aside a new SAA will run you anywhere from 1500+ usually. They do have a much nicer color case hardening and bluing on them than many of the clones.

The Ruger Vaquero is a much "better" gun though. With the transfer bar allowing you to carry 6 you get full use of the gun. It's built like a tank and will rarely have a break.

enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Its nostalgia. Its the original. Gen 1's aside a new SAA will run you anywhere from 1500+ usually. They do have a much nicer color case hardening and bluing on them than many of the clones.

The Ruger Vaquero is a much "better" gun though. With the transfer bar allowing you to carry 6 you get full use of the gun. It's built like a tank and will rarely have a break.

THIS!!!

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Old Colts have high values due to a few things, mainly the fact that Colt seems to be circling the drain (at least in my lifetime) and most figure that once they shut the doors that will be it.

Then there is the "don't make them like they used to" which is true of revolvers, not as much hand fitting these days. Now 70's colts are a different story, as there was a strike at some point and the guns that went out the doors were not as well made in some respects.

As mentioned the ruger single action guns are a better choice for a "shooter". I do not have any experience owning a SAA so I do not know how fragile they are, but I can certainly say that ruger single actions are good values (in compariosn to colts) and seem to be popular. Plus if you break a ruger nothing bad happens, it just needs fixing.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom