Mask question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlackWaterFish

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2018
    Metairie, LA
    Mask wearing in a nutshell: If I'm naked and try to pee on you, I get pee on you. If I have pants on and try to pee on you I get pee on me and not on you. Pretty simple. The way I see it, we went to war and changed the world over the 9/11 attack. It was a brutal and terrible and enraging tragedy with 3000 people dying that day. We still can't bring a large toothpaste on a flight. We've lost what, 130,000+ Americans over COVID19 in a few months? I think people need to visit an ICU to see what this thing is doing. Once you've been ventilated, you're never the same either. Plus, who's got money for the hospital bills unless you can go to the VA or use medicaid. I'm sure there are folks on here who would have plenty to say about those options too. Even with decent insurance, you could get wiped out nowadays. Yet, people don't want to wear a cool ninja mask for 10 minutes around others? No, not 100% effective but lowers risk of infecting others. If it was only about protecting yourself, I'd be all in for you do you. You want to take the chance, no problem - just don't use my money to pay for your medical care. But, now it's about trying to keep other people from getting sick and so we can get back to some kind of normal and get back to business and such, well that's a different story. There are other side effects that the me, me, me crowd should think about too. If you get in a wreck or have your appendix burst and the hospitals are full of covid patients, where ya gonna go? If hospitals have to eat lots of costs for treating people, where do you think that money is going to come from? Higher insurance and medical bills, taxpayer funded bailouts. So, even if someone doesn't give a rat's butt about others, it's still blowing back on them. All right, I better get off my soapbox before someone rings the gong.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    Why would you wear a mask if you are asymptomatic? To cull public fear? Prophylaxis? Im a pharmacists and don't wear masks when Im not at work; my exposure is minimal. Also, masks, unless you are wearing a fully sealed respirator, do nothing for prevention.

Another pharmacist here. I'm 74, mild type two diabetes, and doing some relief work in the E Texas area. Monday I worked in a closed door specialty pharmacy, mostly mail order type, sending psychiatric meds out to clinics in the state. We had 4 pharmacist, probably about 16 techs, numerous clerical and shipping personnel. I wore a mask for 8 hours straight. Nothing is going too be 100% effective. Masks are not the most comfortable things going, but we can get used to them. Back when I went active USAF Reserve , we had to qualify with chem/biological warefare gear. That meant a thick, heavy suit, a full face mask respirator, with an overhood, thin cotton gloves with heavy rubber overgloves, and boots. Talk about uncomfortable and hot. We generally did excercises in cool to cold weather up at Barksdale, no anyone could stand that gear in Louisiana summer heat. These little surgical and or cotton masks are not perfect, and honestly since they are two way my feeling is that while if you might be asymtomatic it is supposed to protect others, it will also filter the incoming air also, thereby protecting the person wearing the mask. I would rather have say 80-90% protection than 0% My wife and I wear one whenever we leave home and our large yard, in the few places we go nowdays, basically grocery store, drug store, and doctors offices. No restaurant's, theaters, bars, ect. I keep a spray bottle of alcohol in the car and truck and hit pump handles at gas stations with alcohol before using. In public rest room, use paper towel to turn off water faucet and open door, If paper towels not available, get a piece of toilet paper and use it, Learned that about 50 years ago working in USAF hospitals for infection control.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    All of these wimps who can't wear a simple mask would die if they had to go an hour in MOPP 4. :rofl:

Same 'operators' who strap on Kevlar, drop leg holsters, and BDU's to go to the range. :rofl:

What one can tolerate at age 26 is a lot different from what one can tolerate at age 76.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    So we can break people down into 3 groups:
    (A) don't have it
    (B) have it but don't know
    (C) have it and know

Group C needs masks (and needs to stay at home). Group A does not need a mask. It's unclear if group B needs a mask. If they are not contagious, they don't need a mask. But also, wearing a mask when it's not needed won't make anything worse. If they are contagious, they should wear a mask. They should also stay at home. But how does one know if they are in group A or in group B? If there's no way to know other than with a test, would it be fair to view everyone not in group C as actually or potentially being in group B?

If there's only one infected skeeter and the propped open screen door stopped it and kept you from getting malaria, is it worth it to keep the screen door propped open instead of wide open? In other words, if something is not 100% effective, how effective does it need to be in order for it to be worth it?

Well it really boils down to how contagious someone who is asymptomatic or recovered actually is, and how beneficial are improperly worn and improperly rated masks are. But we don’t know either really because those would likely extensive studies.

So we don’t have new convincing data, I have to start at a historic point of reference. And the long held belief of asymptomatic patients are extremely low likelihood of transmission. And cleanliness is second to none when transmission is a concern.

Please note I’m not a doctor and don’t want to take on that role. I’m just a guy who has reached a conclusion based on past experiences, research and conversations with doctors and other medical professionals.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    My wife was a nurse before changing career fields and the doctor she worked for we consider a friend. He has absolutely no reason to lie to me and he thinks masks help. I will take his word over someone on a gun site or some stranger from the CDC or the WHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My sister is married to a retired country doctor who's favorite phrase is "it's not going to kill you". However he calls the Chinese Communist virus "very nasty". He wears a mask while he is out near people and I do too.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Here’s my problem with the whole protect your neighbors mindset. First off if you’re sick stay home. But it’s not my job to protect you from something I likely don’t have and if I did have it and not know it would be so unlikely to infect you if you are masked up and we are both participating in proper hygiene that you would be more likely to win the lottery and be struck by lightning on the same day. You are voluntarily participating in society. You have the option to avoid places I (and others like me) go it’s just not my job to disprove I’m infected or mask up to protect you from getting sick.

If odds were high of me infecting another person I have no problem trying to mitigate others being infected by me.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Try about 20-30 minutes July -Sept, outdoors in the sun!!!!!!!!!!!! Guranteed heat stroke.

I'll see you at Honey Island on Sunday Morning. I'll be the one wearing a mask. As will EVERYONE else. Gonna be a lot of heat strokes according you your assessment. Best bring a lot of ambulances.

What one can tolerate at age 26 is a lot different from what one can tolerate at age 76.

If you can't wear a mask or a face shield, then you should not go to public places. It's really that simple.

If you genuinely can't wear a mask or a face shield, you are probably already avoiding public spaces, knowing that you are at a higher risk of mortality from this virus.

My 93 year old father has no problem wearing a mask.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I wear a mask and sanitize my hands as often as I can. I don't think it will hit me hard if I do catch it but I have loved ones with me that have underlying conditions and it could hit them hard and kill them. That is not something I want on my conscience so I do what I can to mitigate the spread to my circle of loved ones.

If you don't wear a mask because you don't think you are sick there is an incubation period of up to 2 weeks where you can have it and shed it and infect others. It is kind of like the cold and flu that way why do you think those viruses spread so quickly and rapidly.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Here’s my problem with the whole protect your neighbors mindset. First off if you’re sick stay home. But it’s not my job to protect you from something I likely don’t have and if I did have it and not know it would be so unlikely to infect you if you are masked up and we are both participating in proper hygiene that you would be more likely to win the lottery and be struck by lightning on the same day. You are voluntarily participating in society. You have the option to avoid places I (and others like me) go it’s just not my job to disprove I’m infected or mask up to protect you from getting sick.

If odds were high of me infecting another person I have no problem trying to mitigate others being infected by me.

I thought you didn't know what the odds were and were guessing they were low.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I thought you didn't know what the odds were and were guessing they were low.

You are correct. How about, If I perceived the odds to be high, or if studies proved the odds to be high? I made the assumption that my editorial would be understood as me opining

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I also went to the next door mom and pop store to buy a few things and everyone in there, customers, and store workers were wearing masks. Maybe an even better update for you?

Sounds good to me. What all did you buy? Mail/pickup something interesting?
    You didn’t tell us about parking the post office generally sucks for parking if more than five cars are in the lot.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Sounds good to me. What all did you buy? Mail/pickup something interesting?
    You didn’t tell us about parking the post office generally sucks for parking if more than five cars are in the lot.

Messages from his attorney. Possibly the secret documents from Perez’s coworker.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom