Mask question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Just remember unless there was a temp amendment that it is still illegal to wear any type of face covering/mask or conceal your identity in any way while concealed carrying a handgun with a CHP

WHOOP WHOOP ANOTHER POSITIVE REASON NOT TO WEAR A STUPID MASK

I wanted to pass this information on some friends but couldn't find anything about it in the Dept of Public Safety rules and regulations about concealed carry: http://www.lsp.org/pdf/chRuleBook.pdf. Do you have an alternate source I can use for this?

Edit: Sorry, a repost of a question that several others have already asked. That's what I get for jumping to the end of the thread without reading everything. Please disregard.

2d Edit: I've now gone back and read all 15 pages (so far) of this thread. Interesting how it moves in different directions/subjects. To answer my own question, it appears that there is no regulation about wearing a mask while carrying a firearm, and if there were then it would be trumped by the medical exemption.

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    You forgot the lizard people.

The only conspiracy (Not very organized mind you) I think worth mentioning is the politicization of a virus which is clearly not as dangerous as they claim. And the consistent inconsistencies that the media, governing health bodies, and politicians have provided us with as so-called leaders. These well meaning state and local governments have been drawn into this false narrative that we can somehow defy nature. The virus is out and is fairly well distributed thanks to our global economy it’s going to spread now or later. All we are doing is slowing it down and prolong it he missery. Will some of these soft tyrannies prevent certain individuals from getting Covid? Maybe, but it won’t stop the virus.

This, a thousand times this.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    You mean how restaurants had to register with the fire marshal in order to open back up even though it has nothing to do with the fire marshal? You mean how the government is resorting to technicalities to enforce such things, because they can’t pass legislation to enforce it?

I’ll wear the mask, because I don’t want the attention and it’s not the hill I want to die on, but I’ll happily tell you that I think all of this is stupid and I don’t believe telling people they must do something will work for 100% of the population.

You mean like Obamacare.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Personal experience. I have knowledge of about 12 family and friends who have gotten the virus. Of the group two were 89 and 92, neither were symptomatic now are negative. Of the rest most were in the 50 to 60 age group and one was a teenager suspected of infecting his parents, parents friends and grandparents. One a former coworker age 60 spent a week on oxygen in the hospital, he is back at work, his wife was positive but asymptomatic. In a normal time those who were asymptomatic or with mild symptoms would have gone about their lives and thought nothing of it other than think it was a cold or allergy.
    Now everyone is paranoid, first cough or sniffles or suspected contact with someone with the same symptoms they run to get tested.
    How many walking around flu cases are there every year. How many with the flu go to the doctor and get tested for the flu.
    Yes this virus may be more deadly to some with underlying conditions than the flu. I read somewhere that 80% of the deaths were in people classified as morbidly obese, young and old and it is known that obesity and diabetes seems to be the best predictor of the severity of the virus and death.

Last edited:

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    That is laughable. You have to ask yourself, why would they count it as a covid death in the first place?
    Don't forget also that there have been doctors that have stated that if the symptoms are present (fever, shortness of breath, ect), they were ordered to not even worry about testing for covid. So if someone went in with a cold, or flu and died of a gunshot wound, well obviously we need to mark that as a covid death and we'll come back and remove it later.
    Makes you wonder how many of these upstanding citizens in Chicago (and other places of course) that die by the dozens just in a weekend from having too many holes in their bodies actually died from covid.

They do the same thing with the flu - https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/faq.htm. If you think COVID19 deaths are overcounted then flu deaths are also overcounted.

Also the links I posted made it pretty clear that your assumption is wrong about shooting deaths but you think they're lying and it's a conspiracy so what does it matter what facts I provide.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    They do the same thing with the flu - https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/faq.htm. If you think COVID19 deaths are overcounted then flu deaths are also overcounted.

Also the links I posted made it pretty clear that your assumption is wrong about shooting deaths but you think they're lying and it's a conspiracy so what does it matter what facts I provide.
    How is it pretty clear that what I said is wrong when those articles state they are "trying" to weed out those deaths?
    What I am saying is, why would they count a death that is obviously not caused by the virus in the first place? Seems pretty cut and dry to me, if someone died in a car accident, or was murdered, ect, how about not put that death towards the covid stats so you don't have to sort through them later.
    Even if they are in fact removing the most blatantly obvious non covid cases (of course you already know I have my doubts), there are many others that are not being removed. It sounds to me like she is just trying to walk back what she said.
    Regardless if flu deaths are inflated in the same way (I highly doubt that happens to these extremes), the numbers are still not in the 'oh my God shut the world down' range, far from it. Just my opinion of course.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I guess I am not tracking the whole for or against thing. If there is a .001% chance that it could help keep a person from getting sick when u go in a store is it really that big of a deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I guess I am not tracking the whole for or against thing. If there is a .001% chance that it could help keep a person from getting sick when u go in a store is it really that big of a deal?

I understand those like yourself who choose to wear a mask for the reason you stated. I get it, and frankly I admire it. However, my opinion stands that if you feel the need to wear a mask right now, for whatever the reason, then you may as well get used to wearing that mask from here on out because this virus isn't going anywhere, and even if it does you still risk spreading other typically non lethal germs/disease.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

If I thought the odds were that high of me preventing someone from getting Covid (Even if it’s was a wild case) I would likely do it with less bellyaching.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I understand those like yourself who choose to wear a mask for the reason you stated. I get it, and frankly I admire it. However, my opinion stands that if you feel the need to wear a mask right now, for whatever the reason, then you may as well get used to wearing that mask from here on out because this virus isn't going anywhere, and even if it does you still risk spreading other typically non lethal germs/disease.

I guess my question is this, what does it hurt to wear a mask inside a store when around others? There are already exemptions for people with medical conditions so what is so debilitating about wearing a mask for a few minutes? I know quite a few people that are sick from corona right now and it’s def a lot more than I know suffering from the usual flu every year. I was shown something off of Facebook where 6 people went to a testing sight and left before getting tested but still got positive results. Funny thing is my wife’s family had the same 6 people have the same exact problem at their testing sight in Illinois. False information goes both ways.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If I thought the odds were that high of me preventing someone from getting Covid (Even if it’s was a wild case) I would likely do it with less bellyaching.

My wife was a nurse before changing career fields and the doctor she worked for we consider a friend. He has absolutely no reason to lie to me and he thinks masks help. I will take his word over someone on a gun site or some stranger from the CDC or the WHO.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I guess my question is this, what does it hurt to wear a mask inside a store when around others? There are already exemptions for people with medical conditions so what is so debilitating about wearing a mask for a few minutes? I know quite a few people that are sick from corona right now and it’s def a lot more than I know suffering from the usual flu every year. I was shown something off of Facebook where 6 people went to a testing sight and left before getting tested but still got positive results. Funny thing is my wife’s family had the same 6 people have the same exact problem at their testing sight in Illinois. False information goes both ways.

My answer would be a mixture of what bangswitch said and what I said.
    I don't plan on wearing a mask for the rest of my days every time I get ready to enter a public space. If the time comes when this or another virus becomes extremely deadly, I'll consider it or I'll just not got into public spaces (probably the best option when possible).

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Why
    3ac011ac64124f9615bf614c4f34b64c.jpg

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    My wife was a nurse before changing career fields and the doctor she worked for we consider a friend. He has absolutely no reason to lie to me and he thinks masks help. I will take his word over someone on a gun site or some stranger from the CDC or the WHO.

I think masks help slow the spread no doubt if someone is sick and wears one it filters the virus filled particulate, but:

1. Immunization usually comes from inoculation. For the population to develop some type of immunity enough people will need to be exposed.

2. Even if the masks filter 100% of exhaled virus cells that’s them you are going to have to rely on proper use and handling. To that I say good luck.

We are only slowing this virus, but the good news is, exposure doesn’t equal infection, infection doesn’t equal illness, illness doesn’t equal life threatening illness, and life threatening illness doesn’t equal death.

Perspective is important after all.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think masks help slow the spread no doubt if someone is sick and wears one it filters the virus filled particulate, but:

1. Immunization usually comes from inoculation. For the population to develop some type of immunity enough people will need to be exposed.

2. Even if the masks filter 100% of exhaled virus cells that’s them you are going to have to rely on proper use and handling. To that I say good luck.

We are only slowing this virus, but the good news is, exposure doesn’t equal infection, infection doesn’t equal illness, illness doesn’t equal life threatening illness, and life threatening illness doesn’t equal death.

Perspective is important after all.

Is it possible to be "sick" before showing any symptoms?

Can an improperly worn mask stop any of the exhaled virus cells?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Is it possible to be "sick" before showing any symptoms?

Can an improperly worn mask stop any of the exhaled virus cells?

Sure I’ve actually been interested in this aspect. The old standard about being contagious (with illnesses in general) used to be, ‘No fever not contagious’ clearly we know that isn’t entirely accurate, but anyone with kids has likely been told this at some point in the doctors office. That thought process likely comes from the significantly decreased odds of someone not clinical passing along what ails, will ail or has ailed them. Some clinical studies are out there but when I was looking (causal Google searching) I didn’t find a definitive result or any result for that matter.

I forgot to answer the second question.

It depends. Does a screen door propped open stop the skeeters? Probably a few.

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    It goes back to the saying if you feel you need a gun to such and such location don't go there. You could easily apply this to masks. When the gyms reopened I started going back sans mask. I can not tolerate the the feeling of my hot breath on my face. My wife sleeps with the covers over her face, I can not do it. I'ii go back to the gym when the mask order is lifted.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sure I’ve actually been interested in this aspect. The old standard about being contagious (with illnesses in general) used to be, ‘No fever not contagious’ clearly we know that isn’t entirely accurate, but anyone with kids has likely been told this at some point in the doctors office. That thought process likely comes from the significantly decreased odds of someone not clinical passing along what ails, will ail or has ailed them. Some clinical studies are out there but when I was looking (causal Google searching) I didn’t find a definitive result or any result for that matter.

So we can break people down into 3 groups:
    (A) don't have it
    (B) have it but don't know
    (C) have it and know

Group C needs masks (and needs to stay at home). Group A does not need a mask. It's unclear if group B needs a mask. If they are not contagious, they don't need a mask. But also, wearing a mask when it's not needed won't make anything worse. If they are contagious, they should wear a mask. They should also stay at home. But how does one know if they are in group A or in group B? If there's no way to know other than with a test, would it be fair to view everyone not in group C as actually or potentially being in group B?

I forgot to answer the second question.

It depends. Does a screen door propped open stop the skeeters? Probably a few.

If there's only one infected skeeter and the propped open screen door stopped it and kept you from getting malaria, is it worth it to keep the screen door propped open instead of wide open? In other words, if something is not 100% effective, how effective does it need to be in order for it to be worth it?

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    Being an older person with several of the underlying conditions that seriously compromise my immune system, I'm grateful to all that wear masks when in close proximity of me. I do the same for others.

Same here. I'm pushing 75, and a pharmacist still working part time so appreciate people coming in with masks. The stores I work in have put up "sneeze shields" and some people will try to stand to the side to talk and I have no problem telling then to stand in front of the shield if they wish to address me, mask or no mask. Monday I worked in a specialty, closed door pharmacy, no exposure to public coming in. We fill and ship out mostly psychiatric meds to clinics around the state and are very high volume. We had 4 pharmacists and probably 15 technicians, some clerical and shipping personnel. I wore my mask non stop for a bit over 8 hours taking it off or slipping it aside to get a sip of coffee and to eat lunch. You can get used to wearing one, Surgeons and surgical nurses have been wearing masks for extended periods for years. We can all get used to them, that does not mean we have to like them. If you dislike these little masks try one of the military gas masks. Way back in 1969 when in USAF basic and then OCS, never wore a gas mask. In '91 went active reserve and we had to be qualified in protective gear for chemical/biological warefare. I along with some others had mild panic attacks when first wearing the masks, especially those that had two faceplate lenses, making it look a lot like a grasshopper. We soon transitioned to the new full face bubble type and the seemed less confining, but still no fun. I think the longest I wore one was about three hours, at Barksdale AFB (Shreveport, La) in Nov. We did those excercises in cooler weather as no one could outfit in all that gear in N Louisiana summer temperatures.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom