Form 1 - been a while

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Ok guys, I'm getting ready to submit a form 1 here in the next couple weeks, hopefully. It's been a few years since I've done anything (via trust, I should add), and since my last submission, the requirement for prints for all responsible persons on the trust has been added. I was curious if there is a requirement for which of the 3 fd258 cards is used to submit? Do local police and sheriff stations normally keep all 3, or do you guys order the cards? The only time I've done prints in the past, was for my concealed carry permit, and I honestly didn't pay attention to which finger print card was used. lol

Also, does the card have to be dated after the form 1 submission date, or can everyone get printed before I submit? I read there is a 10 day window after submitting (which I plan to efile), to mail the prints, and I'd hate for someone on the trust to not be able to get in during that time.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Are you asking if trustees only have 10 days to submit the fingerprint cards after they have been printed?

I believe the 10 days refers to the time you have to mail the cards once the Form 1 is submitted online.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Are you asking if trustees only have 10 days to submit the fingerprint cards after they have been printed?

I believe the 10 days refers to the time you have to mail the cards once the Form 1 is submitted online.

Right. I was wondering if it mattered if the print cards had a date earlier than the form 1 submission. I’d like to get alll my trustees prints before submitting, so it’s not a rush to meet the 10 day window.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Fingerprints: The responsible person shall submit, in duplicate with the ATF copy of this form, his or her fingerprints on FBI Form FD-258 and the fingerprints must be clear for accurate classification and taken by someone properly equipped to take them. No fingerprints are required with the copy of the form sent to the chief law enforcement officer.

I do not recall reading about a time frame in which the fingerprints must be taken, but I do not deal with form submission all that often, so an FFL/SOT on here may know something I don't. The above language is straight from the Responsible Person Questionnaire and does not make reference to a time frame, as the instructions pertaining to photos do (see below). If there is a time frame for prints, I imagine it would be at least a year prior to filing, like the photos, so you should be safe.

Photograph: The responsible person shall attach, in item 3e on the ATF copy of the form only, a 2-inch by 2-inch frontal view photograph taken within one year prior to the date of the filing of the form. Item 3c is obscured on the CLEO copy.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Fingerprints: The responsible person shall submit, in duplicate with the ATF copy of this form, his or her fingerprints on FBI Form FD-258 and the fingerprints must be clear for accurate classification and taken by someone properly equipped to take them. No fingerprints are required with the copy of the form sent to the chief law enforcement officer.

I do not recall reading about a time frame in which the fingerprints must be taken, but I do not deal with form submission all that often, so an FFL/SOT on here may know something I don't. The above language is straight from the Responsible Person Questionnaire and does not make reference to a time frame, as the instructions pertaining to photos do (see below). If there is a time frame for prints, I imagine it would be at least a year prior to filing, like the photos, so you should be safe.

Photograph: The responsible person shall attach, in item 3e on the ATF copy of the form only, a 2-inch by 2-inch frontal view photograph taken within one year prior to the date of the filing of the form. Item 3c is obscured on the CLEO copy.

Thanks for your input bud!

Boston1809

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    Thanks for your input bud!

I seriously doubt this helps you, but if any/all of your responsible persons use the Silencer Shop kiosk, SS will send you perfect fingerprint cards that you can mail in. That's what I did (especially during the strangeness of COVID), and had my cards in 2 days, and submitted the form the next day. Went right through for my SBR.

Again, likely not helpful in your case, but thought I'd just throw it out there if it helps anyone else.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Any suggestions on where to get your prints done? I'm also getting ready to submit a form 1 and I got my cards in today (about 7-10 days after requesting them). I just need a place to help me get my prints onto my cards. In the Lafayette area, but I'm fine with a little drive to get this done right.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    you can purchase a fingerprint ink pad @ amazon for $7 and do your own. There are several videos on youtube that will show you how/walk you thru it. It's a piece of cake to roll ur own and the AFT isn't that picky on fingerprints. Many guys on the form1 forum have submitted less than perfect prints and have been approved.

Also your local police dept might do your prints for a $15-20 charge. I have read on the forum of guys doing it this route too. But if you foresee multiple form 1 submissions, just order your own ink pad and do em yourself.

inkpad for $8.70 with free shipping: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HA4PJ4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The few local PD's I've been to that do prints charge $10 per card. Call them and ask. If they have a jail, they likely do prints.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    State police headquarters does them and now takes a card. No more money order.
    I’ve used their cards for many form 4 and 1’s with zero issues.

When you submit the form 1 electronically you will be sent an email. Open that email on a computer. It has a page attached that will not see on iPhone Email that needs to be sent with the prints. Most recent electronic form 1 I did was back less than 2 weeks.

XD45ACP

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 26, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Thanks for the advice! I ordered the ink pad to try prints myself. If I can't manage to get an acceptable set, I'll try the local pd.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom