U Boat chief engineers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oilman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    Just the ever curious side of me wanting another answer. I have noticed in a couple of different WWII movies that the chief engineer of German Type VII-C U-boats will listen to the engine with a rather peculiar looking device. It looks almost like a funnel with a long metal stem. He puts the large end up to his ear then the end of the stem is pointed at the engine at the cylinder head area between the large rocker arms. What exactly is he listening to or listening for? You can see the engineer in the movie Das Boot doing this several times in the movie and in the TV series Das Boot the engineers have done this in several episodes.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Bearing failure. If you have a really good ear possibly a lifter problem. Really-really good ear timing.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I have used a stethoscope on engines and other parts to isolate problems. Is the bearing noise coming from the alternator or water pump, which valve lifter is collapsed. Depending on where on the engine you place the scope the sounds are different.

Oilman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    And while we are on the subject of WWII naval vessels, the movie Greyhound with Tom Hanks is now out. He plays the C.O. of a Fletcher class destroyer tasked with protecting a convoy in the Atlantic. Many of the shipboard scenes were filmed on the U.S.S. Kidd in Baton Rouge. And at the beginning of the movie there is a scene that looks like the lobby of a big fancy hotel with a restaurant. It looks to me like it was filmed in the lobby of the state capitol.

A few interesting things in the movie -
    I didn't realize they also used the 40mm Bofors guns to engage surfaced u boats. I thought it would have only been the 5 inch guns.
    I love the depth of detail this movie gets into with how they track targets, how the crew members communicate targeting information amongst each other, and how they maneuver to engage the target. You don't get very much of that in naval combat movies. This one got deep into it. Most of the time it's like, "Oh, there's a submarine? Well just head over that way and drop some depth charges." None of that in this movie. They got into detail. Then it's in the notoriously rough North Atlantic so they are fighting the sea at the same time.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Hey Oilman, that sounds good. I hate a movie or documentary that I can easily pick a part, do you hear me History Channel. An excellent old movie with ship engine detail is The Sand Pebbles. I love Steve McQueens line " Hello Engine. I'm Jake Holman."

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    And while we are on the subject of WWII naval vessels, the movie Greyhound with Tom Hanks is now out. He plays the C.O. of a Fletcher class destroyer tasked with protecting a convoy in the Atlantic. Many of the shipboard scenes were filmed on the U.S.S. Kidd in Baton Rouge. And at the beginning of the movie there is a scene that looks like the lobby of a big fancy hotel with a restaurant. It looks to me like it was filmed in the lobby of the state capitol.

I didn't realize they also used the 40mm Bofors guns to engage surfaced u boats. I thought it would have only been the 5 inch guns.
    I love the depth of detail this movie gets into with how they track targets, how the crew members communicate targeting information amongst each other, and how they maneuver to engage the target. You don't get very much of that in naval combat movies. This one got deep into it. Most of the time it's like, "Oh, there's a submarine? Well just head over that way and drop some depth charges." None of that in this movie. They got into detail. Then it's in the notoriously rough North Atlantic so they are fighting the sea at the same time.

I just got finished watching it. Very good movie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    The Sand Pebbles, Live Steam - Dead Steam. I guess the Boxer Rebellion? Have to check the new movie out. Thanks

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA

I was an airborne sonar operator on Navy submarine hunter aircraft during the cold war. Finding and tracking submarines is part science and part art and intuition. It is something the Navy was and is very good at. During the cold war in the 60's and 70's we knew the location of every Soviet submarine in the world 24/7 365.
    Myself back row middle.

Attachments

• 150257_1705930335019_1146492_n.jpg
      150257_1705930335019_1146492_n.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 52

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Former submarine MM1/SS here. We used to have to purposely make noise so they could find us during war games.

Top Bottom