Sighting in Red Dot

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evil Zim

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    I have a new red dot for an AR that I would like to be generally sighted in before I go to range to fine tune. If this a reputable shop in the New Orleans area that does this? Thanks.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Cheap bore sighters online will work very well. I’ve sighted in many for myself and friends with a $10 one from amazon. It’s been on paper at 25 yards consistently post laser bore sighting.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I usually start off with something like the one in the below picture. They may not be 100% accurate but you can work around that. If you bench rest the rifle, you can spin the bore sight in a circle. If the dot doesn't move, it's pointing at the right spot. If it does move, it will move in a circle. The center of that circle is the where you want to set the red dot to.

I have one like the MidTen mentioned before and it's pretty convenient. It will get you on paper. But because you can't spin it, you can't account for any inaccuracies until you put some rounds downrange.

810119019790__51325.1575664094.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You can put the upper on a rest or in a vise, pull the BCG and look down the barrel at a distant object. Without disturbing the upper, zero the optic to the object. This will get you on paper at 25 yards and you can shoot 3 rounds to verify. I don’t trust laser boresights.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I know this is not what you asked for, but maybe a suggestion. I just take a piece of paper with a vertical and horizontal line dissecting it and post it at 5 yards. You will hit it. Get the impact centerline and an inch or so below the horizontal and you can move to 25 or 50 as you wish.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    You can put the upper on a rest or in a vise, pull the BCG and look down the barrel at a distant object. Without disturbing the upper, zero the optic to the object. This will get you on paper at 25 yards and you can shoot 3 rounds to verify. I don’t trust laser boresights.

Having several eye problems, cataracts ( which will be addressed early next year), thousands of floaters( due to detached viterous humor in both eyes) and astigmatism I have trouble looking down a bore. I recentlly put a Leupold scout scope on an old Swedish M 96 Mauser and used a laser bore sighter. When I first fired it, the windeage was off by about 1 1/4 inches at 50 yards. I'll stick with my laser sighter. I also put a red dot on a little Sig P365 XL, a micro 9mm. Clamped the gun in a vise, and then adjusted the red dot to the laser spot. I'm happy if a laser gets me close, saves ammo, they are not perfect. The one I have attaches to the muzzle by a magnet so it is easy to rotate it to see if there is any variance in the dot position. My thinking it is better on a fixed barrel like a rifle or revolver than a pistol with a tilting barrel lockup, but still better than nothing. You simply cannot look down the barrel on most semi auto pistols, and revolvers are not easy with a small mirror.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Having several eye problems, cataracts ( which will be addressed early next year), thousands of floaters( due to detached viterous humor in both eyes) and astigmatism I have trouble looking down a bore. I recentlly put a Leupold scout scope on an old Swedish M 96 Mauser and used a laser bore sighter. When I first fired it, the windeage was off by about 1 1/4 inches at 50 yards. I'll stick with my laser sighter. I also put a red dot on a little Sig P365 XL, a micro 9mm. Clamped the gun in a vise, and then adjusted the red dot to the laser spot. I'm happy if a laser gets me close, saves ammo, they are not perfect. The one I have attaches to the muzzle by a magnet so it is easy to rotate it to see if there is any variance in the dot position. My thinking it is better on a fixed barrel like a rifle or revolver than a pistol with a tilting barrel lockup, but still better than nothing. You simply cannot look down the barrel on most semi auto pistols, and revolvers are not easy with a small mirror.

I have only used that technique for rifles.

It’s easy enough to put a round on paper with a pistol with no sights at all. My RDS pistols have iron sights as well, so it’s very simple to sight in the red dot after I get a shot on paper.

Core

Salt
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Maine
    I use a laser bore sight. I have a professional mode but you do not need a high end model. The cheaper models are just as good but not as rugged. Laserlyte is my preference. They have entry models that work well.

Top Bottom