Fixed Up A Vintage Remington 742

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    My father in law gave me an old Remington 742 that he left in a shooting house for about 5-6 years. It was rusted and not in good shape.

Once I got it I just put it in a corner and didn't think about it for another few years.

Last year I went ahead and took it apart and sanded and refinished all the metal and put it back together.
    The stock sights were so bad off that I ended up scrapping them. The rifle had some type of walmart scope on it with the big see through scope mounts.

I wanted something more appealing while still keeping with the vintage look. Searching around I found a Vintage Weaver Pivot Scope Mount. I had never seen these so I asked about them both here and another forum and only heard good things so I decided to buy it.

I then wanted to top it with a vintage style scope also. I have a Marlin Lever gun made in the 1960s that has a Weaver K4 scope and it holds a zero year in and year out no matter what kind of crap it goes through so I decided I would go that route.

I located a Weaver K4 60 series that was made in the late 1950s. The scope is in pristine condition so I picked it up and mounted them all together last night.

I still need to pick up some factory style iron sights for it but other than that, its ready for the field again.

I just need to get it to the range and get scope sighted in.

Here are some photos. I wish I had more of the rifle before but I can't seem to find them.

Attachments

• Rem74201.jpg
      Rem74201.jpg
      51.5 KB · Views: 75
    • Rem74202.jpg
      Rem74202.jpg
      56.3 KB · Views: 76
    • Rem74203.jpg
      Rem74203.jpg
      53.7 KB · Views: 67
    • Rem74204.jpg
      Rem74204.jpg
      59.3 KB · Views: 85
    • Rem74205.jpg
      Rem74205.jpg
      238.6 KB · Views: 80
    • Rem74207.jpg
      Rem74207.jpg
      227.6 KB · Views: 81
    • Rem74208.jpg
      Rem74208.jpg
      194.5 KB · Views: 76
    • WeaverPivotMount2.jpg
      WeaverPivotMount2.jpg
      204.1 KB · Views: 77
    • WeaverPivotMount.jpg
      WeaverPivotMount.jpg
      222.6 KB · Views: 78

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Love that you brought it back to life. I had one in .243 caliber but sold it. Wish I would have never parted with it. I was in pristine shape. I’ve never seen scope mounts like that. Do they lock down some how? Or do you flip them over when you want to use iron sights ?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Nice work Bonney. We’ve had a couple in the family for a lotta years. For all the ‘HangMaster’ hype, they were always great rifles. Mine is a 25-06 that wound up being my first hog hunting rifle. Sportsman’s Guide had high capacity mags for them back in the paper catalog day (1-800-888-3006 if I remember correctly) And if you could stand the recoil of a couple boxes per outing it was a pig getter. Iconic rifles.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Love that you brought it back to life. I had one in .243 caliber but sold it. Wish I would have never parted with it. I was in pristine shape. I’ve never seen scope mounts like that. Do they lock down some how? Or do you flip them over when you want to use iron sights ?

The scope mount has latches that keep it in place and you can rotate it out of the way when you need to use the irons. I didn’t even know about these till recently while researching vintage scope mounts. The guys I talked to that have them all said they return to zero good enough for hunting purposes.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Nice work Bonney. We’ve had a couple in the family for a lotta years. For all the ‘HangMaster’ hype, they were always great rifles. Mine is a 25-06 that wound up being my first hog hunting rifle. Sportsman’s Guide had high capacity mags for them back in the paper catalog day (1-800-888-3006 if I remember correctly) And if you could stand the recoil of a couple boxes per outing it was a pig getter. Iconic rifles.

That would be fun for sure.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Those guns can be finicky. The way the bolt is, it can gall. Keep it clean and lubed and it'll be fine. They don't suffer neglect well.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Those guns can be finicky. The way the bolt is, it can gall. Keep it clean and lubed and it'll be fine. They don't suffer neglect well.

It won’t be neglected anymore. The inside was always in good shape. Needed some cleaning and lubricating. The outside is what suffered most being left in a shooting house for so many years. It’s got a good home now though.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom