Join BayouShooter For Free
Meplat

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    On Target

User Info Menu

LASportsman Classifieds-Share: the good, a lot of the bad, and the just ridiculous

Before I knew about Bayoushooter, I used to peruse the La sportsman classifieds and sometimes find good deals on hunting and fishing stuff. I even got a steal on a boat that turned out well. Never really had any problems as long as I used common sense, talked to the person before buying or selling, normal stuff anyone would do before meeting a stranger in a parking lot with cash and guns involved. I'll still use the site sparingly if I can't find what I'm looking for here, but now with even more caution and vetting who I'm dealing with. It's basically a coin flip on that site of dealing with an honest person or a scumbag now a days. Makes me very grateful for the safeguards put in place on Bayoushooter, although everything is always at your own risk and caution no matter what.

A few months ago I was selling a pistol and got some genuine sounding emails about it, like the guy knew what he was talking about and owned guns before, all that. I asked him to send me a picture of his ID after he called me from one number, but texted me from another. I run a background check on the name, turns out we have a convicted felon. Later I sold the pistol to a member here who's also on sportsman, and he told me about bayoushooter after I told him about sportsman.

Recently, I went to buy 100 rounds of ammo for a good price, not too-good-to-be-true, just a decent discount on some ranger t, so I thought why not. Same deal, talked to the guy before several times, looked into his profile as much as I could before hand, and I walked away from the deal with 70 rounds ranger t in a bag full of drug residue and a few corroded steal case rounds in the middle to weigh it down that I guess he thought would make me think it was closer to 100 for a while, I don't know. I like to think I'm not that big of a moron, but it's difficult to examine a bag of ammo closely in a parking lot, so I didn't notice the residue or the low-rounds until driving away.

But man, that guy just handed me a felony in a bag if I had gotten pulled over. Thanks a ton, not to mention the scam deal and having to ditch the whole bag in the trash ASAP once I realized it. And of course, he will not respond to any texts or emails. I'm just shocked from how he sounded on the phone initially to when the deal went down - I could be legally barred from owning a gun or hunting, or voting for life and a convicted felon if I hadn't thrown that bag away right when I noticed it. Hell, If I'd been pulled over leaving the parking lot. I mean, maybe I could prove it through texts or whatever, but it's just a bad thought and a shame someone would do that to somebody else to make so little cash.

Anybody else have any crazy classifieds-gone-wrong to share? Be careful out there.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Sometimes you have to say I pass and walk away....
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Youíve peaked my curiosity. What was the residue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snipehunter7 View Post
    You’ve peaked my curiosity. What was the residue?

And How would he know wtf it is?
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

How can we run background checks?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    And How would he know wtf it is?
    I was wondering but let that one go.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Yeah, also interested in how to run a background check ...at least more than the web services (MyLife, etc.).

...also, how could a person PROVE that he was CERTAIN that the goods arenít stolen property?

Iíd worry that there isnít enough ďgood dealĒ potential in a 100 round sale transaction to take a risk.

On Target

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Sometimes you have to say I pass and walk away....
    I didn't notice it until I got home, there was no risk more than any other classified's purchase since the guy sounded legit until I counted the rounds and examined the bag closely at home. To notice it, you had to completely dump the bag out and count it, since the green specs were mostly stuck to the plastic at the bottom and looking at the rounds and checking that they were actually ranger t's for 20 seconds in the parking lot made me not notice the wacky tabacky until I got home. I mean, it was dumb, I learned a lesson, but it just didn't come to my mind that someone would store their ammo in their old dope bag. I learned a lesson.

For sure would have passed on the deal. Trust me, I've passed on a ton of classified dealings, as I'm sure most have. Someone sounds in any way shady or suspicious - it ain't worth it and it's over.
    I looked at the ammo for ~20 second in the parking lot, it all looked legit, like uncorroded nickel cases and the right kind of bullets. I wasn't gonna count em out in 93 degree parking lot, but in hindsight should have obviously.

I meant public records checks, not a full background check. I have access to a couple consolidated ways to check criminal records through work, but it's not the same as a real background check or leo access.

It was more than just residue once I dumped the bag out. More than enough to test positive on a police field kit if I'd gotten pulled over. I'm not saying it was highly likely, I'm just saying, if I had been pulled over, and the officer was really aggressive or something and somehow searched my car, the "wrong place at the wrong time" kind of thing, the risk/reward of buying some ammo I can't find anywhere else vs. being charged with a felony isn't worth it.
    I know its been decriminalized or whatever in Louisiana in some form, and I'm not judging anybody, I'm just saying firearms + drug possession = felony. And I'm just dying to get charged with a felony and pay a defense attorney lots of money over such a stupid, small dollar purchase. I should have been more careful and I learned a lesson. It was a very sunny day, even with good sunglasses I didn't notice the little green specks all throughout the bag until I got home. I just looked to verify they were winchester ranger t's, it looked and felt like around 100 by weight, and got back in the car. Since I don't typically store my ammo in old bags of grass, I wasn't on the lookout for that. But now I will be.

It didn't look like stolen property because in looking at the guy's profile, he'd bought and sold some handguns in the same caliber, so seemed like he might have some un-stollen ammo for that caliber after selling his pistols. Pretty sure unless you DNA test it, have a video tape of him stealing the ammo that falls out of your butt, or he puts a post-it note on it that says "ammo I stole," proving ammo out of the box is or isn't stolen is impossible. But let me know if you have a stolen ammo detector and I will use it on all my ammo from now on.

But hey, thanks for all the blind criticism after a genuine attempt at preventing someone else from having the same experience.
    Real easy to act like you never made a mistake when you're tapping on a keyboard.

Gun Trust Lawyer

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I've cross-listed some items on La Sportsman and Bayoushooter over the years. Without fail, each time I try to close a deal with someone off of Sportsman, something has gone wrong or turned out sketchy. There's always been a catch.
    Meanwhile I've never had a single bad experience in dealing with Bayoushooter guys.

I still carry an ad over there for NFA gun trusts with my standard flat fee of $300 listed. I have a photo of an SBR and a suppressor in the ad, and I periodically get messages and phone calls asking questions about my $300 rifle and can for sale - like they didn't bother to read the title of the ad, much less the description.

I guess it's just a broader, more public classifieds section, so you get more idiots through law of numbers.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mountainair26 View Post
    I didn't notice it until I got home, there was no risk more than any other classified's purchase since the guy sounded legit until I counted the rounds and examined the bag closely at home. To notice it, you had to completely dump the bag out and count it, since the green specs were mostly stuck to the plastic at the bottom and looking at the rounds and checking that they were actually ranger t's for 20 seconds in the parking lot made me not notice the wacky tabacky until I got home. I mean, it was dumb, I learned a lesson, but it just didn't come to my mind that someone would store their ammo in their old dope bag. I learned a lesson.

For sure would have passed on the deal. Trust me, I've passed on a ton of classified dealings, as I'm sure most have. Someone sounds in any way shady or suspicious - it ain't worth it and it's over.
    I looked at the ammo for ~20 second in the parking lot, it all looked legit, like uncorroded nickel cases and the right kind of bullets. I wasn't gonna count em out in 93 degree parking lot, but in hindsight should have obviously.

I meant public records checks, not a full background check. I have access to a couple consolidated ways to check criminal records through work, but it's not the same as a real background check or leo access.

It was more than just residue once I dumped the bag out. More than enough to test positive on a police field kit if I'd gotten pulled over. I'm not saying it was highly likely, I'm just saying, if I had been pulled over, and the officer was really aggressive or something and somehow searched my car, the "wrong place at the wrong time" kind of thing, the risk/reward of buying some ammo I can't find anywhere else vs. being charged with a felony isn't worth it.
    I know its been decriminalized or whatever in Louisiana in some form, and I'm not judging anybody, I'm just saying firearms + drug possession = felony. And I'm just dying to get charged with a felony and pay a defense attorney lots of money over such a stupid, small dollar purchase. I should have been more careful and I learned a lesson. It was a very sunny day, even with good sunglasses I didn't notice the little green specks all throughout the bag until I got home. I just looked to verify they were winchester ranger t's, it looked and felt like around 100 by weight, and got back in the car. Since I don't typically store my ammo in old bags of grass, I wasn't on the lookout for that. But now I will be.

It didn't look like stolen property because in looking at the guy's profile, he'd bought and sold some handguns in the same caliber, so seemed like he might have some un-stollen ammo for that caliber after selling his pistols. Pretty sure unless you DNA test it, have a video tape of him stealing the ammo that falls out of your butt, or he puts a post-it note on it that says "ammo I stole," proving ammo out of the box is or isn't stolen is impossible. But let me know if you have a stolen ammo detector and I will use it on all my ammo from now on.

But hey, thanks for all the blind criticism after a genuine attempt at preventing someone else from having the same experience.
    Real easy to act like you never made a mistake when you're tapping on a keyboard.
    You're whole story smells Pardner and any Half ass hung over Lawyer or Judge would take you apart at the seems.....

Good thing you got away from the bad man before he had you for sushi....