LASportsman Classifieds-Share: the good, a lot of the bad, and the just ridiculous

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mountainair26

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Lafayette, La
    Before I knew about Bayoushooter, I used to peruse the La sportsman classifieds and sometimes find good deals on hunting and fishing stuff. I even got a steal on a boat that turned out well. Never really had any problems as long as I used common sense, talked to the person before buying or selling, normal stuff anyone would do before meeting a stranger in a parking lot with cash and guns involved. I'll still use the site sparingly if I can't find what I'm looking for here, but now with even more caution and vetting who I'm dealing with. It's basically a coin flip on that site of dealing with an honest person or a scumbag now a days. Makes me very grateful for the safeguards put in place on Bayoushooter, although everything is always at your own risk and caution no matter what.

A few months ago I was selling a pistol and got some genuine sounding emails about it, like the guy knew what he was talking about and owned guns before, all that. I asked him to send me a picture of his ID after he called me from one number, but texted me from another. I run a background check on the name, turns out we have a convicted felon. Later I sold the pistol to a member here who's also on sportsman, and he told me about bayoushooter after I told him about sportsman.

Recently, I went to buy 100 rounds of ammo for a good price, not too-good-to-be-true, just a decent discount on some ranger t, so I thought why not. Same deal, talked to the guy before several times, looked into his profile as much as I could before hand, and I walked away from the deal with 70 rounds ranger t in a bag full of drug residue and a few corroded steal case rounds in the middle to weigh it down that I guess he thought would make me think it was closer to 100 for a while, I don't know. I like to think I'm not that big of a moron, but it's difficult to examine a bag of ammo closely in a parking lot, so I didn't notice the residue or the low-rounds until driving away.

But man, that guy just handed me a felony in a bag if I had gotten pulled over. Thanks a ton, not to mention the scam deal and having to ditch the whole bag in the trash ASAP once I realized it. And of course, he will not respond to any texts or emails. I'm just shocked from how he sounded on the phone initially to when the deal went down - I could be legally barred from owning a gun or hunting, or voting for life and a convicted felon if I hadn't thrown that bag away right when I noticed it. Hell, If I'd been pulled over leaving the parking lot. I mean, maybe I could prove it through texts or whatever, but it's just a bad thought and a shame someone would do that to somebody else to make so little cash.:doh::doh:

Anybody else have any crazy classifieds-gone-wrong to share? Be careful out there.

Yankchef

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2017
    New Orleans
    How can we run background checks?

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah, also interested in how to run a background check ...at least more than the web services (MyLife, etc.).

...also, how could a person PROVE that he was CERTAIN that the goods aren’t stolen property?

I’d worry that there isn’t enough “good deal” potential in a 100 round sale transaction to take a risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainair26

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Lafayette, La
    Sometimes you have to say I pass and walk away....

I didn't notice it until I got home, there was no risk more than any other classified's purchase since the guy sounded legit until I counted the rounds and examined the bag closely at home. To notice it, you had to completely dump the bag out and count it, since the green specs were mostly stuck to the plastic at the bottom and looking at the rounds and checking that they were actually ranger t's for 20 seconds in the parking lot made me not notice the wacky tabacky until I got home. I mean, it was dumb, I learned a lesson, but it just didn't come to my mind that someone would store their ammo in their old dope bag. I learned a lesson.

For sure would have passed on the deal. Trust me, I've passed on a ton of classified dealings, as I'm sure most have. Someone sounds in any way shady or suspicious - it ain't worth it and it's over.
    I looked at the ammo for ~20 second in the parking lot, it all looked legit, like uncorroded nickel cases and the right kind of bullets. I wasn't gonna count em out in 93 degree parking lot, but in hindsight should have obviously.

I meant public records checks, not a full background check. I have access to a couple consolidated ways to check criminal records through work, but it's not the same as a real background check or leo access.

It was more than just residue once I dumped the bag out. More than enough to test positive on a police field kit if I'd gotten pulled over. I'm not saying it was highly likely, I'm just saying, if I had been pulled over, and the officer was really aggressive or something and somehow searched my car, the "wrong place at the wrong time" kind of thing, the risk/reward of buying some ammo I can't find anywhere else vs. being charged with a felony isn't worth it.
    I know its been decriminalized or whatever in Louisiana in some form, and I'm not judging anybody, I'm just saying firearms + drug possession = felony. And I'm just dying to get charged with a felony and pay a defense attorney lots of money over such a stupid, small dollar purchase. I should have been more careful and I learned a lesson. It was a very sunny day, even with good sunglasses I didn't notice the little green specks all throughout the bag until I got home. I just looked to verify they were winchester ranger t's, it looked and felt like around 100 by weight, and got back in the car. Since I don't typically store my ammo in old bags of grass, I wasn't on the lookout for that. But now I will be.

It didn't look like stolen property because in looking at the guy's profile, he'd bought and sold some handguns in the same caliber, so seemed like he might have some un-stollen ammo for that caliber after selling his pistols. Pretty sure unless you DNA test it, have a video tape of him stealing the ammo that falls out of your butt, or he puts a post-it note on it that says "ammo I stole," proving ammo out of the box is or isn't stolen is impossible. But let me know if you have a stolen ammo detector and I will use it on all my ammo from now on.

But hey, thanks for all the blind criticism after a genuine attempt at preventing someone else from having the same experience.
    Real easy to act like you never made a mistake when you're tapping on a keyboard.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've cross-listed some items on La Sportsman and Bayoushooter over the years. Without fail, each time I try to close a deal with someone off of Sportsman, something has gone wrong or turned out sketchy. There's always been a catch.
    Meanwhile I've never had a single bad experience in dealing with Bayoushooter guys.

I still carry an ad over there for NFA gun trusts with my standard flat fee of $300 listed. I have a photo of an SBR and a suppressor in the ad, and I periodically get messages and phone calls asking questions about my $300 rifle and can for sale - like they didn't bother to read the title of the ad, much less the description.

I guess it's just a broader, more public classifieds section, so you get more idiots through law of numbers.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I didn't notice it until I got home, there was no risk more than any other classified's purchase since the guy sounded legit until I counted the rounds and examined the bag closely at home. To notice it, you had to completely dump the bag out and count it, since the green specs were mostly stuck to the plastic at the bottom and looking at the rounds and checking that they were actually ranger t's for 20 seconds in the parking lot made me not notice the wacky tabacky until I got home. I mean, it was dumb, I learned a lesson, but it just didn't come to my mind that someone would store their ammo in their old dope bag. I learned a lesson.

For sure would have passed on the deal. Trust me, I've passed on a ton of classified dealings, as I'm sure most have. Someone sounds in any way shady or suspicious - it ain't worth it and it's over.
    I looked at the ammo for ~20 second in the parking lot, it all looked legit, like uncorroded nickel cases and the right kind of bullets. I wasn't gonna count em out in 93 degree parking lot, but in hindsight should have obviously.

I meant public records checks, not a full background check. I have access to a couple consolidated ways to check criminal records through work, but it's not the same as a real background check or leo access.

It was more than just residue once I dumped the bag out. More than enough to test positive on a police field kit if I'd gotten pulled over. I'm not saying it was highly likely, I'm just saying, if I had been pulled over, and the officer was really aggressive or something and somehow searched my car, the "wrong place at the wrong time" kind of thing, the risk/reward of buying some ammo I can't find anywhere else vs. being charged with a felony isn't worth it.
    I know its been decriminalized or whatever in Louisiana in some form, and I'm not judging anybody, I'm just saying firearms + drug possession = felony. And I'm just dying to get charged with a felony and pay a defense attorney lots of money over such a stupid, small dollar purchase. I should have been more careful and I learned a lesson. It was a very sunny day, even with good sunglasses I didn't notice the little green specks all throughout the bag until I got home. I just looked to verify they were winchester ranger t's, it looked and felt like around 100 by weight, and got back in the car. Since I don't typically store my ammo in old bags of grass, I wasn't on the lookout for that. But now I will be.

It didn't look like stolen property because in looking at the guy's profile, he'd bought and sold some handguns in the same caliber, so seemed like he might have some un-stollen ammo for that caliber after selling his pistols. Pretty sure unless you DNA test it, have a video tape of him stealing the ammo that falls out of your butt, or he puts a post-it note on it that says "ammo I stole," proving ammo out of the box is or isn't stolen is impossible. But let me know if you have a stolen ammo detector and I will use it on all my ammo from now on.

But hey, thanks for all the blind criticism after a genuine attempt at preventing someone else from having the same experience.
    Real easy to act like you never made a mistake when you're tapping on a keyboard.

You're whole story smells Pardner and any Half ass hung over Lawyer or Judge would take you apart at the seems.....

Good thing you got away from the bad man before he had you for sushi....

mountainair26

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Lafayette, La
    You're whole story smells Pardner and any Half ass hung over Lawyer or Judge would take you apart at the seems.....

Good thing you got away from the bad man before he had you for sushi....

I agree, hopefully by lunchtime I'll stop peeing my pants every hour on the hour. I'll keep you posted. Anyone have the number for Stanley Steamer handy?

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I agree, hopefully by lunchtime I'll stop peeing my pants every hour on the hour. I'll keep you posted. Anyone have the number for Stanley Steamer handy?

We all know LA.Sportsman is eaten up with scammers,Even a few on here,It's just they get caught faster on B.S.

Ever see a 30,000.00 Tractor on there for 3,000.00, ?

Just send a money order to The Bank of Hong Kong China....The best one is Hi, Received this tractor in a divorce settlement but moved back to merry old England.

Price includes shipping !

Good Luck,If it's too good of a deal,Bring back-up!

mountainair26

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Lafayette, La
    We all know LA.Sportsman is eaten up with scammers,Even a few on here,It's just they get caught faster on B.S.

Ever see a 30,000.00 Tractor on there for 3,000.00, ?

Just send a money order to The Bank of Hong Kong China....The best one is Hi, Received this tractor in a divorce settlement but moved back to merry old England.

Price includes shipping !

Good Luck,If it's too good of a deal,Bring back-up!

At least this guy seems open and honest about his scumbaggery:

https://app.louisianasportsman.com/...ngle_ad&id=962940&cat_code=HU&subcat_code=HU3

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    That's the only place I ever got lowballed in person after making a deal online. Never again. I'll stick with dealing here where people are held accountable for crap like that.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I've told this story before on here several years ago.

Some Cidk weed scammer was selling a Colt wheel gun on there for 700.00,45 Colt I believe was the caliber.

I sent an E-mail and this D-Weed stated he would send the Colt USPS once he received payment,Hahaha

I asked to see it first and where was he located.....El-Paso TX.

I told him Great !!! I only live an hour from El-Paso,When and where would he like to meet up....

Bzzzz,Nothing but silence on his part...lol

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Not a LA Sportsman story, but...
    About 12(?) years ago I listed my ‘05 R1 in the Craigslist motorcycle section in 2 different areas. Stated I’d meet at particular places /schedule appt to see the bike, to be announced, yada yada. Planned the first two back to back one morning and when I got there I found that the first appt was some weak and perverted attempt at a sting operation. The guy brought at least one local cop, his girlfriend and two other dufus ass looking characters who attempted to cage me in so they could scrutinize the bike and check the vin because he thought it was his stolen bike. I did not take it well. Mostly because I’d had my wife follow me with my infant daughter in car in case the bike sold and I needed a ride. There was a huge scene, the cop threatened me twice and I wound up cussing them all at full volume after I showed the cop the title and the actual purchase agreement from Friendly Yamaha in BR. I called them every name in the book while I geared up and got back on the bike to go ride to the local police dept and file a formal complaint on Barney Fife. The goons showed up there and the cop tried to get me outside to talk but I blurted out the events of the morning to his supervisor right there in the lobby and things took a bad turn for him. Turns out, it’s not legal to just hold someone against their will while letting a civilian have their way with them or their property. Short version, cop lost his job with that dept for a few reasons other than that day and I don’t even cruise the personals on Craigslist...although it is tempting.
    I can only imagine the level of fun to expect on LA Sportsman.

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I picked up a nice revolver of sportsman many years ago. Traded the guy a sigma in 40. We made the deal via text and i half expected him to not show. He looked the sigma over, which was basically new in the box and said he was good with the trade. I looked the pre lock 6 inch model 15 over and said I was good too. Then He said he could not afford 357 ammo and wanted something cheaper to shoot.

I did not have the heart to tell him about 38spl...

Another guy traded me a 686 plus for a glock 40, ex pd gun. Lots of holster wear on the glock. Same deal, arranged a meet and figured I would get stood up. Guy showed up, examined the glock carefully and said he was good with the trade. The 686 looked good to me so i agreed. He then stuck the glock down the front of his pants and told me that he had trouble shooting the 686. I asked why and he said it was hard to hold it sideways. I did not laugh, wanted to, but I did not.

I have also met people that will tell me that they have had AD into all manner of stuff, cars, walls, furniture, etc. Boasting that you cant handle a gun is comical at best.

I have only had 1 AD, and now I get to be a dad till I croak...

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I picked up a nice revolver of sportsman many years ago. Traded the guy a sigma in 40. We made the deal via text and i half expected him to not show. He looked the sigma over, which was basically new in the box and said he was good with the trade. I looked the pre lock 6 inch model 15 over and said I was good too. Then He said he could not afford 357 ammo and wanted something cheaper to shoot.

I did not have the heart to tell him about 38spl...

Another guy traded me a 686 plus for a glock 40, ex pd gun. Lots of holster wear on the glock. Same deal, arranged a meet and figured I would get stood up. Guy showed up, examined the glock carefully and said he was good with the trade. The 686 looked good to me so i agreed. He then stuck the glock down the front of his pants and told me that he had trouble shooting the 686. I asked why and he said it was hard to hold it sideways. I did not laugh, wanted to, but I did not.

I have also met people that will tell me that they have had AD into all manner of stuff, cars, walls, furniture, etc. Boasting that you cant handle a gun is comical at best.

I have only had 1 AD, and now I get to be a dad till I croak...

Lol, So did you try the 686 Gangsta style ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom