5 year vs Lifetime. What's the advantage

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jr70895

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    If you have to recertify every 5 years what's the advantage of paying $500 for a Lifetime permit. Upfront you pay for 20 years worth, so perhaps if you're a young man I guess you could save a few bucks in the long run.

Is there any other advantage?

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    I have the lifetime. If I had it to do over, I would stick to the 5 year. As stated above, the 5 year is good for the background check where the lifetime is not. There is also the possibility that some states may not honor a lifetime permit for reciprocity now or in the future.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have the lifetime. If I had it to do over, I would stick to the 5 year. As stated above, the 5 year is good for the background check where the lifetime is not. There is also the possibility that some states may not honor a lifetime permit for reciprocity now or in the future.

This.

I have stuck with the 5 year CHP, but I did go with the lifetime hunting/fishing license, since there are no disadvantages there.

Mike

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Both are good for bypassing the NICS check.

The only requirement in that it was issued on or after May 5, 2015.

The lifetime permit still requires you to submit training wvery 5 years, so there isn’t much of an advantage.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    As stated above, the 5 year is good for the background check where the lifetime is not.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11481/download

If you transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person pursuant to the permit alternative, you must
    comply with the following requirements:

1. Have the transferee complete and sign ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction
    Record.

2. Verify the identity ofthe transferee through a Government-issued photo
    identification (for example, a driver's license).

3. Verify that the concealed handgun permit was issued on or after March 9, 2015,
    and within the past 5 years by the State in which the transfer is to occur, and that
    the permit has not expired under State law.

4. Either retain a copy ofthe transferee's concealed firearm permit and attach it to
    the Form 4473, or record on the Form 4473 any identifying number from the
    permit, the date ofissuance, and the expiration date of the permit.

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    So a Lifetime issued after March 9, 2015 is good for the first 5 years ONLY for NICS checks. Mine was issued in 2014, although the permit card has the initial issue date of my very first permit in 2009. My first lifetime permit card they sent me was the first month they were available. It had a expiration date of 2099 on it. I later received a new lifetime permit card that has LIFETIME for the expiration date.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So a Lifetime issued after March 9, 2015 is good for the first 5 years ONLY for NICS checks. Mine was issued in 2014, although the permit card has the initial issue date of my very first permit in 2009. My first lifetime permit card they sent me was the first month they were available. It had a expiration date of 2099 on it. I later received a new lifetime permit card that has LIFETIME for the expiration date.

Correct. Since you receive a new 5 year permit, anything after May 5, 2015 will be valid. Only lifetime permits issued on or after that date and within the last five years are valid.

perilloux5

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Ponchatoula, LA
    It may be cheaper to obtain the 5 year versus the lifetime as you can get 20 years of permits for the cost of one lifetime permit. Who knows if you will be around or a permit required in 20 years. You still have to submit training every 5 years so why go lifetime.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    ive seen a fair bit of posts stating big box stores would not accept the lifetime permit as it has no exp date to put on the paperwork.

I have no way to confirm or deny that statement. The only information I have ever seen written down on the 4473 is my permit number.

I believe the lifetime should have an issued on date, which meets the requirements.

hicks1579

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    deridder, LA
    So would you go Lifetime if it didnt cost anything? Im about to go through the course and since Vets are fee exempt I was just going to do the lifetime and be done but some of your points are valid but ive never had to wait for a gun anyways.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So would you go Lifetime if it didnt cost anything? Im about to go through the course and since Vets are fee exempt I was just going to do the lifetime and be done but some of your points are valid but ive never had to wait for a gun anyways.

Yes, because waiting for a NICS check is a lot faster than waiting months for a new permit.

Top Bottom