1911 upgrade advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hicks1579

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    deridder, LA
    Hey everyone, Ive been thinking of doing some upgrades to my Remington R1 1911 and I just want some input on which upgrades yall have done or wouldn't do or brands to buy and not buy. Things to think about and etc. Thanks in advance. Also Im sure Im not the first to ask to discuss this topic but im new to the site and navigating it, so if there is already a thread please point me in the direction.

Beau Etienne

Take a Card. Any Card.
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    What about the pistol would you like to be better? Remington had their own ideas when they came out with the enhanced version.
    If it were mine I would try many different loads (FMJ, HP, LSWC, etc...) and address any reliability problems.
    Secondly I would find the perfect grip fit for me.
    The list goes on.
    Happy Shooting!

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Really not much needed on an R1. Sights seem OK but some would want to put some sort of night sights on their pistol, something like Trijicon. Grips to suit you would be a good step. I personally like Pachmayr wrap-around, paired with a vintage Pachmayr rubber covered mainspring housing off ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/PACHMAYR-MAINSPRING-HOUSING-New-Old-Stock-COMPLETE-IN-ORIG-PACKAGE/223948507234?hash=item34245f0862:g:QMEAAOSwwTtfA1A7. I usually add an extended slide release on my 1911's and one of them also has an extended safety. I also like a trigger with adjustable overtravel. Many options available...

DSCN5722.jpgIMG_3008.jpg

Last edited:

hicks1579

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    deridder, LA
    reliability wise its never really cared about the ammo put through it and there is no real need to change anything except for my curiosity lol. This is really just about playing with the setup since I cant buy anything that im looking for with this virus going on I figured Id work on what I have and make it better. I have read a couple write ups about the top 5 changes to make: barrel, trigger group, grips, sights and the fifth seems to always change from hammer, magwell, safeties, etc. I carry a Steyr s9 so this is really just a house or range gun. I was raised with guns but im fairly new to the modifying side of things, and because there are so many options out there I was hoping to get help narrowing down. Thanks BLackhawk ill check those out.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If it’s reliable go with a qualified gunsmith cleaning up the trigger. After that the accuracy might or might not be acceptable so that would preclude any expensive barrel type modifications. You can spend hundred at the beginning and get very noticeable improvement in both precision and accuracy. However at some point you reach diminishing returns where you spend thousands for an imperceptible change.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    Trigger Job - Clark Custom Guns
    They are worth every penny ... their trigger job puts a smile on your face and a song in your heart ...I'm smiling thinking about how sweet shooting mine is !
    Gary

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I would say grips and sights.

Then shoot it till you are better than the gun.

Once that happens you will have a better idea if you want to upgrade it or change to a different gun.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    There is only so much you can do, before you reach the point of diminishing returns. Sending it off to a qualified gunsmith can only do so much.

Decide what you want out of it, rather than just assuming that an "upgrade" will improve the overall performance of the pistol.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My last 1911 was a Remington R1. There really wasn't a lot to do to it; I found the stock trigger excellent and the sights were more than adequate for my needs. There's lots of different 1911 grip options out there, but that has less to do with the gun and more to do with your specific hands and body geometry.

Clark's can undoubtedly do a good job with the sear and such, but I'm also not sure I'd invest a few hundred dollars in an R1 that is never going to be worth more than the $700 or $800 it cost new.

As others have said, you're probably going to hit the point of diminishing returns pretty quickly with that gun. If it was me, I'd enjoy it as it is and save my shekels for a higher end 1911 (or whatever else tickles your fancy next).

And, for what little it's worth, the Ed Brown—with an MSRP of four to five times the cost of an R1—is only very incrementally better than my R1 was.

Mike

MattD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    +1 on the Remington R1, Enhanced in my case, needs nothing other than what came on it.

It's accurate, dependable, eats damn near anything and has factory, fiber sights for my old eyes,

I've only put an allen wrench on it, once, to tighten up the trigger overtravel screw that was backing out, so I added a little Loctite on it.

No problems, after that.

Oh wait, I just remembered that the grip screws were getting loose so I put some green loctite on those.

I bought the thing for learning some basic gunsmithing but could not bring myself to want to change anything on it!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you put a rubber O ring between the grip screw and the grip this will frequently decrease the amount of grip screw loosening during shooting.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom