Why don't magpul 30 round mags come with the dust covers?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I have a bunch of magpul 20 round mags, they all come with dust covers, but the new 30 round ones don't. I don't use the 30's hardly so I hadn't noticed this till now when I took one out of the package tonight I'm comparing gen 3 20rd mags to gen 2 30rd ones. Why don't 30's come with the dust covers?

Magpie

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Aug 1, 2007
    Gonzales
    So ALL Magpul AK mags are good? Some just don't come with dust covers? Or are Gen 3s better? What about Tapcos?
    35fe865baeddf3f97373d2b682072d99.jpg

Nevermind I answered my own question

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If I’m not mistaken, they’re not just dust covers. They seem to make contact with the first round and may take some pressure off the feed lips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If I’m not mistaken, they’re not just dust covers. They seem to make contact with the first round and may take some pressure off the feed lips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was an issue with Gen 2 magazines. IIRC, Gen 3's include them for people that believe the feed lips will explode. I've had Gen 3 PMAG's fully loaded for years. No cracked feed lips yet.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    People still use dust covers?!?

I do if I keep them loaded for extended periods of time, keeps pressure off of the feed lips, pushes top round down 1/8” or so and keeps stress off of the feedlips which is about the only week spot that I have found on them... I personally haven’t had any crack but there’s a lot of videos of them cracking from having been loaded for a few years or so

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Believe it or not, the Gen 2 PMAGS actually came with dust covers until the Gen 3 mags came out. The majority of my range mags are Gen2 that I bought around 2010-2012 (about) and out of about 40 mags I have dust covers for about 35. I’ve never bought dust covers for them. Magpul dropped the dust covers with Gen 2 mags so they could sell the Gen 3 mags closer to the earlier Gen 2 price and dropped the price of the Gen 2 mags thereafter.
    I’m not sure but I believe the 10 and 20 round Gen 2 mags have always and still come with dust covers, but they only fit those mags respectively.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I've had a couple of cheaper mags loose tension and one so bad it spit rounds if slightly jarred , that is why I snap the covers on mags I keep laying around loaded .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom