Anyone else think the Ruger PC Charger looks like a mess?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Just got an email form CDNN with some "gun specials"

About midway down there is a nice profile shot of a 9mm Ruger PC Charger. Not only is it $798, boy is it ugly.

Looks like the ar grip and the rear vertical pict rail are afterthoughts, the front rail with the handstop just looks like it was not installed properly. Weird gap at the top where it meets the receiver. I guess the takedown system is based on the 10/22 mechanicals. Still that empty space at the top and the huge gap between the receiver and handguard do not scream quality.

Magwell appears to be sized for a M1 carbine mag, so the regular pistol mag just looks weird hanging out the bottom. A bit more profiling on the receiver could have made this look much better. I know the mag insert causes the magwell to be larger. Just looks bad, even worse than an ar lower with a colt/uzi mag sticking out!!

Handguard is too short, letting too much barrel stick out the front. Plus they should have put something on the end of the barrel to "jazz it up" a bit. Maybe a small blast can or something. Skinny barrel and large oval handguard just do not go together.

Complete lack of sights is also weird, and given the lack of pict rail on the handguard I am quessing the plan is to have people run some sort of red dot or similar single item sight. Yes, a set of mbus would probably look worse, but at 800 bucks some sort of sight should have been offereed. Not like this thing has an exotic lever delayed post gas trap, blish lock. Just another blowback 9mm with some sort of slidey-weight in the bolt.

I think the rear of the gun bothers me most. Just looks like bad photoshop. They should have continued the upper all the way back and extended the pict rail to the back and farther forward as well.

And why does every manufacturer have to keep using the myriad of magpul MOE knockoff pistol grips. The angle of grip is just wrong and looks extra stupid to boot. They should use a magpul K2, B5 23, BCM mod whatever, strike industries make a vertical grip, the list goes on. The need for a more vertical grip on a pistol is well known by now, do these mfgs even fire what they make? Plus the trigger reach will be long with that spacer in between the grip and the trigger guard. Looks like something a 12yr old would make...

Some of these guns just seem to be designed in a vacuum. Plus I am sure it weighs 10lbs or something like that.

Last edited:

dondgc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    I have one. It looks great. Shoots great. But to be useable it needs a sight (I used a red dot) and it needs a brace. The reason the back of the gun looks a little odd because there is an attachment point there for a brace. I used one from SB tactical.

Anyone planning a purchase should understand they will need to add another $300 minimum for brace and sight. The brace REALLY should be included by Ruger.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have one. It looks great. Shoots great. But to be useable it needs a sight (I used a red dot) and it needs a brace. The reason the back of the gun looks a little odd because there is an attachment point there for a brace. I used one from SB tactical.

Anyone planning a purchase should understand they will need to add another $300 minimum for brace and sight. The brace REALLY should be included by Ruger.

So with the extra 300 that puts the gun over 1k...

I will have to see what comparable models cost (and weigh)

I was not referring to the rear pict rail looking odd, it is the weird transition from the top of the receiver where the pict rail ends. It just drops off and there are a few more weird shapes. It does look like ruger just copied one of the 10/22 chassis designs (pmaca or similar) and stuffed the pc action in it.

And I guess beauty will always be in the eye of the beholder.

Glad to hear it shoots well.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I’d rather have a .300 BLK if I’m going to suppress it with the same barrel length.

But for a toy, the PC Charger looks fun.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I’d rather have a .300 BLK if I’m going to suppress it with the same barrel length.

But for a toy, the PC Charger looks fun.

For the price I could get 2 of the extar pistols in 9mm. Or 1 extar and a bunch of ammo. Lighter and way cheaper, still blowback and of questionable use.

The price turns me off and the looks seal the deal. Purely subjective on both counts.

As far as supressable calibers go, for a PCC type thing, 300 blk is the best bet for performance, ammo price is steep but you pay for the performance. I see little point in supersonic 300blk, unless you really really want 30 cal in an ar platform that performs like x39. Plus you can make a lighter setup with DI action in 300blk, and likely less expensive than the bulk of the PCC options, especially the locked breech type.

45acp would be the best bet for a suppressible pistol caliber for a PCC. Working on the concept that this would be a sub 100yrd use gun, such as in or around the house in an urban environment. If ruger brought out that PC carbine in 45acp, running a decent double feed mag (and maybe glock large frame mags) that had the takedown feature and maybe even a matching profile can, I would be quite interested. All 45acp is subsonic, and normal pricing is reasonable. Plus the takedown feature would have value with the can attached.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    So with the extra 300 that puts the gun over 1k...

I will have to see what comparable models cost (and weigh)

I was not referring to the rear pict rail looking odd, it is the weird transition from the top of the receiver where the pict rail ends. It just drops off and there are a few more weird shapes. It does look like ruger just copied one of the 10/22 chassis designs (pmaca or similar) and stuffed the pc action in it.

And I guess beauty will always be in the eye of the beholder.

Glad to hear it shoots well.
    $800 brace included and came with 4 mags. I have no complaints. The only thing I upgraded is the bolt release, the factory bolt release is a bit small and hard to engage with the index finger but the extended version fixed that (it is not installed in this pic).
    Absolutely the best PCC for the $ on the market IMO.
    c1bcf713965fb81f70b4bc8c48dc20c4.jpg

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have not had a chance to shoot the stribog, but it already looks way better than the ruger Pc. Still subjective, I know, and neither look as good as a mp5!!

For 800 bucks with brace and 4 mags it is a better deal, although it does lack the take down feature (and probably all of the weight and complexity associated with that feature).

Still not sure if the Stribog is twice as good as the 420 dollar ep9 (this is the cheapest blowback 9mm PCC style gun I can find). It would be interesting to see someone (semi) reputable shoot the various blowback 9mm PCC style guns and rank them.

I would love to shoot the stribog, ruger pc, ep9, and the other various blowback guns with my mp5 clone and a cmmg banshee in 9. See if the "locked breech" guns are really that much smoother (I know the mp5 clone is smoother than my colt 9mm).

Weapon weight is also an issue, as the blowback guns are generally heavier (not always) than the "locked breech".

The ep9 may be the exception as it is quite light at 4.1 lbs with the brace.

The Pc charger is listed at 5.2lbs w/o brace, and a fs1913 poly brace weighs 10oz so that is 5lbs 13.2 oz. So 27.6 oz heavier than the ep9, about the weight of a glock 19.

The hk sp5 is listed at 5.1lbs, so not that different to the PC charger. it is not braced, so that would add weight if installed.

The 5" barrel cmmg banshee in 9mm is 4lbs 10oz, so half a lb lighter than the ruger and hk, either with a brace, which is included with the cmmg.

I am thinking of buying the cmmg barrel and bolt and building an upper. I want to see how the delayed radial blowback compares to the roller delayed blowback of the hk. I already have a parts build 9mm blowback ar9. So it would be interesting to shoot all 3 back to back.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    For the price I could get 2 of the extar pistols in 9mm. Or 1 extar and a bunch of ammo. Lighter and way cheaper, still blowback and of questionable use.

The price turns me off and the looks seal the deal. Purely subjective on both counts.

As far as supressable calibers go, for a PCC type thing, 300 blk is the best bet for performance, ammo price is steep but you pay for the performance. I see little point in supersonic 300blk, unless you really really want 30 cal in an ar platform that performs like x39. Plus you can make a lighter setup with DI action in 300blk, and likely less expensive than the bulk of the PCC options, especially the locked breech type.

45acp would be the best bet for a suppressible pistol caliber for a PCC. Working on the concept that this would be a sub 100yrd use gun, such as in or around the house in an urban environment. If ruger brought out that PC carbine in 45acp, running a decent double feed mag (and maybe glock large frame mags) that had the takedown feature and maybe even a matching profile can, I would be quite interested. All 45acp is subsonic, and normal pricing is reasonable. Plus the takedown feature would have value with the can attached.

I've stated prior, I see no reason to have a 10"+ barreled PCC. Having a PCC braced pistol longer than I can have a 10" 556 gun is a bit silly to me. When I want to shoot pistol calibers, it's generally in a pistol. Perhaps it's my practical nature, but I don't find plinking with serious use things to be enjoyable. That's why I have a 10/22.

That being said, I'm sure the Ruger PC is a joy to shoot, but I agree with you, at the price point it's really tough to justify.

dondgc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    You are definitely correct that as the gun comes from Ruger it is not really useable. It can shoot, but whether the shooter would hit anything or be comfortable is another story.

I can’t imagine using it without the brace. Thankfully I had ordered mine while I was waiting for the gun to ship.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    When Ruger brought out their original PCC in 9mm and .40 in the 90’s I was not impressed. Less so now. And even less so with the....pistol version... kinda full circle huh..
    Could buy 2 XTAR’s ready to shoot for that price. And shoot them a long time.

dondgc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    $800 brace included and came with 4 mags. I have no complaints. The only thing I upgraded is the bolt release, the factory bolt release is a bit small and hard to engage with the index finger but the extended version fixed that (it is not installed in this pic).
    Absolutely the best PCC for the $ on the market IMO.
    c1bcf713965fb81f70b4bc8c48dc20c4.jpg
    By the time you add in the red dot you are pushing $1000 for the SP9a. Yes it has four mags but the Ruger takes Glock mags so virtually any size mag is available and cheap.

And the Ruger has the detachable fore-end which really helps it to be put into a small package. That was a consideration for me.

That said, I think your Stribog looks great and I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my PC Charger
    :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom