Mayor Cantrell

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    O

Where is Gnetilly?
    I said Old Algiers, not the crappy part that I am sure that you are very familiar with.
    Houses in my part of Mid-City have recently sold for as much as $500,000. That’s a lot of money for a house that in a $hit hole right?
    Have you seen the Irish Channel lately? I bet you could not afford a house there, but I am sure you could afford a house in East New Orleans.

Are you going to tell me that Houma is a wonderful place to live?

Definitely didn't mean to get you upset. I treated this as gun forum chatting Let me explain my sentiment better.

My bad, Gentilly was a typo.

I never said or thought New Orleans was inexpensive. Housing and cost of living is actually a bad problem. I know you gotta pay to play/live near restaurants and hipster things.

I could not afford the house in the Dave Ramsey sense, but I could sell my house and a camp and pay cash for that with plenty of money left over.

Houma is not perfect but using any common metric - Housing, Schools, Taxes, Crime, Cost of Living, Roads, Sanitation, etc. is far better. The other things like restaurants and night life are subjective, and that's ok if you still prefer it. It doesn't make either one of us better than the other. Everyone should spend their money how they see fit.

The OP used the term, I didn't-just piggy backed. It's all in a relative sense. Remember though, "Irish Channel - Way Better than a War-Torn Country" isn't a good tourism slogan.

Me - all 4 grandparents from the lower 9. Born and raised in da parish. Spent time with and had many friends in different parts of the city. Also lived in Lakeview and Metairie.

Finally, what I think you really need to know is that my opinion about this isn't my wish. I wish NOLA was perfect, but it needs major improvement. LA needs New Orleans to thrive in order for that state to thrive. I feel bad for the people living there and want it to improve. None of this your fault, and the city needs people like you. However, that doesn't mean the city is great.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Definitely didn't mean to get you upset. I treated this as gun forum chatting Let me explain my sentiment better.

My bad, Gentilly was a typo.

I never said or thought New Orleans was inexpensive. Housing and cost of living is actually a bad problem. I know you gotta pay to play/live near restaurants and hipster things.

I could not afford the house in the Dave Ramsey sense, but I could sell my house and a camp and pay cash for that with plenty of money left over.

Houma is not perfect but using any common metric - Housing, Schools, Taxes, Crime, Cost of Living, Roads, Sanitation, etc. is far better. The other things like restaurants and night life are subjective, and that's ok if you still prefer it. It doesn't make either one of us better than the other. Everyone should spend their money how they see fit.

The OP used the term, I didn't-just piggy backed. It's all in a relative sense. Remember though, "Irish Channel - Way Better than a War-Torn Country" isn't a good tourism slogan.

Me - all 4 grandparents from the lower 9. Born and raised in da parish. Spent time with and had many friends in different parts of the city. Also lived in Lakeview and Metairie.

Finally, what I think you really need to know is that my opinion about this isn't my wish. I wish NOLA was perfect, but it needs major improvement. LA needs New Orleans to thrive in order for that state to thrive. I feel bad for the people living there and want it to improve. None of this your fault, and the city needs people like you. However, that doesn't mean the city is great.

Thank you for providing a sincere clarification!
    The main reason I felt insulted is that I simply do not experience the version of New Orleans depicted by some who live outside of the city. Perhaps I could drive around the East or Central City long enough one night and stumble upon two former business associates settle a score, but I am more likely to get just as bored I was on guard duty as a Marine.
    I have lived in Mid-City for the last 10 years and only had a bike stolen and apprehended a DUI who attempted to leave the scene of an accident(took his keys) after hitting two parked cars.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I worked out of a Union Hall in the 600 block of Jackson Avenue from 1963-1972. I lived about 90 miles away and would park there on the street and sleep with the windows slightly open until they opened at 8:00 AM. I would not consider doing that today.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Smith 8
    Wow...you're taking his dislike of New Orleans kinda personal. Someone doesn't like your city so you resort to insulting them?

BTW, Gnetilly is Gentilly misspelled. But I think you knew that. I think you just wanted to feel morally superior by pointing out his spelling mistake. You must feel so proud of yourself.

Is is fun to be a smart a$$ sometimes! Thanks for noticing!

Army

Thank you for your service! I really mean that as a fellow Veteran.

Yes

You have my utmost respect for doing what most Americans never would!

That's not relevant. I've acidentally rubbed my eyes at a crawfish boil before. I've also been pepper sprayed in the eyes. The pepper spray burns worse. Much worse. But that doesn't mean the crawfish boil felt good. It still burned. So just because there are worse places does not force New Orleans to be a good place.

This part reminds me of an annual gas mask training recertification that took place at Camp Pendleton. A GP tent was set up and while waiting in line with my mask, I noticed the smell of cayenne pepper! I stared asking if there was a crawfish boil in that tent, since it smelled so good! As usual, my fellow Marines thought I was crazy. I was surprised to see that cayenne pepper was the base for the gas this time instead of the usual CS. I started singing, *Ah that fresh aromatic scent, CELEBRATE THE MOMENTS OF YOUR LIFE*(from a coffee commercial.)
    I also had the mace class and got a nice dose of it in the bargain. I channeled my response into laughter just to mess with the other recruits!

BTW, I lived in New Orleans for quite a while. I lived in several areas of New Orleans. I worked in New Orleans for quite a while. My work put me in every part of the city at one time or another. Some parts of New Orleans are nice. Some parts are s#it holes. Not the worst s#it holes I've seen but s#it holes nonetheless.

By your urban American s#it hole standards, I am sure you could identify those kinds of places in BR. I will leave that to you, since I am not familiar enough with BR to make any accurate comments about those parts.

Last edited:

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    If the thread is about Cantrell, then let it be a shining example of how tribalism kills democracy! If this is all you have to choose from, then you are going backwards before you even start the campaign.

The top three vote getters all had baggage or some type of alleged impropriety BEFORE they even registered to run. Add to that the auto black vote for black candidates, and there you go!

I also lived in New Orleans for many decades! I can promise, if you visit Drew Brees' house, catch a buzz, get disoriented, and walk 3 blocks in the wrong direction; you'll probably get killed!

I know, I am raped, robbed, beaten up, and murdered almost every day in Orleans Parish! If I am only beaten and robbed, then it’s a good day! It’s terrible to endure that all the time!
    It’s so amazing that I am still alive!
    I will now remove my 103M hat.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Smith
    Take your pick. Anywhere within Orleans parish is a $**** hole. By the way FN stands for ****in&.

Your racist acronym is noted. By the way, if you visit enough small towns, you will notice METH RESPONSE UNIT vehicles driving around!!! I just could not miss the one driving around Ashland City, TN!

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    The voters of Orleans Parish messed up not electing Desiree Charbonnet.

True, we could have done better. I voted for Bagneris in the primary because he has family in the NOPD and supports LE in general. I even attended a fund raiser on Canal st where I met his Wife.

I voted for Charbonnet in the run off. The candidates my family supports very rarely win in New Orleans. Those of us who love the city have to put up with the politics. It is a trade off. I have family who live in three different rural areas outside of Louisiana. All three of them ask my Wife and I to move to their area, but every time we visit them it gets boring and tiresome after just one week.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Is is fun to be a smart a$$ sometimes! Thanks for noticing!

Thank you for your service! I really mean that as a fellow Veteran.

You have my utmost respect for doing what most Americans never would!

And I thank you for yours.

This part reminds me of an annual gas mask training recertification that took place at Camp Pendleton. A GP tent was set up and while waiting in line with my mask, I noticed the smell of cayenne pepper! I stared asking if there was a crawfish boil in that tent, since it smelled so good! As usual, my fellow Marines thought I was crazy. I was surprised to see that cayenne pepper was the base for the gas this time instead of the usual CS. I started singing, *Ah that fresh aromatic scent, CELEBRATE THE MOMENTS OF YOUR LIFE*(from a coffee commercial.)
    I also had the mace class and got a nice dose of it in the bargain. I channeled my response into laughter just to mess with the other recruits!

The few times we trained with CS wasn't so bad in retrospect. 10-15 minutes or so of flapping my arms and I was able to function pretty normally. The pepper spray took hours before I was able to fully open my eyes and keep them open.

By your urban American s#it hole standards, I am sure you could identify those kinds of places in BR. I will leave that to you, since I am not familiar enough with BR to make any accurate comments about those parts.

Yes, I believe I could. And I've been in a number of those in BR as well.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If the thread is about Cantrell, then let it be a shining example of how tribalism kills democracy! If this is all you have to choose from, then you are going backwards before you even start the campaign.

The top three vote getters all had baggage or some type of alleged impropriety BEFORE they even registered to run. Add to that the auto black vote for black candidates, and there you go!

I also lived in New Orleans for many decades! I can promise, if you visit Drew Brees' house, catch a buzz, get disoriented, and walk 3 blocks in the wrong direction; you'll probably get killed!

I know, I am raped, robbed, beaten up, and murdered almost every day in Orleans Parish! If I am only beaten and robbed, then it’s a good day! It’s terrible to endure that all the time!
    It’s so amazing that I am still alive!

I will now remove my 103M hat.

I get that you are over-exaggerating, but that ain't the same New Orleans I grew up in. In the 80's I cruised around the city with impunity. Today, I wouldn't dare go to some of the places that I used to. Go look at the stats; it has one of the highest per-capita homicide rates in the entire country; along with crime in general! And it's not just blacks killing blacks over drugs; though I will cede that is a good portion of it.

And you can still go in a lot of places on the main drags relatively safely; but that's low hanging fruit! The real action is in the lessor known back streets! ;)

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Folks should be worried about the DA's race and criminal court judge races...let's see if we they a Soro's backed judges and DA for New Orleans...then you will see the crime skyrock

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I haven't been to the city in a while, are there a lot of BLM protests going on there? Are they blocking streets or getting violent? I haven't seen much on the news about it.

The last thing they did that I am aware of was blocking access to the courthouse that does eviction proceedings.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I haven't been to the city in a while, are there a lot of BLM protests going on there? Are they blocking streets or getting violent? I haven't seen much on the news about it.

Just a few mild protests here and there and some statues were assaulted during the night. There have been no riots in New Orleans. We just don’t riot here.

Top Bottom