Ammo prices....?! 8-0

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I have seriously considered unloading some unfired factory AR's and some practice ammo, I just don't need the cash and wonder "if" I will every be able to replace what I sell. If I was hard up for money I would sell in a heart beat or if my wife found out what that pile of metal was worth in the closet she would sell it! I unloaded a parts kit on Gunbroker for $925 that I paid less than $200 for not THAT long ago, I know I was never going to build it, the AK kits are safe and sound though!

i would wait a little longer. Maybe 3 months

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    The big box stores like Academy and Cabela's are usually pretty consistent with prices. The hard part is finding some in stock. They did not lower their prices when ammo was cheap, but they haven't really raised prices now like others.

I went to academy yesterday and seen 4ea 500rd cases of 223 monarch. Also 2 cases of 7.62x39. Didn't buy any of it.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Greetings,

I have some 158 grain 357 XTP and some 230 grain 45 ACP golden saber I bought in bulk about a decade ago. What do you think acceptable prices would be?

I see the both auctioning for $0.80 per round in bulk on GunBroker.

Also, I reload 38s. My next batch will be some mild ones for IDPA, 160 grain going about 650-700 fps. Is it even legal to sell reloads? I'm thinking $0.30-$0.35 per round, depending on quantity.

So...
    Is $40 per box on the XTP and Golden Saber kosher?
    Is it legal to sell reloads?
    If legal, is the price on reloads reasonable?

Ryan

I have no use for the ammunition listed but in my opinion $40 per box is a little high. YMMV

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    Greetings,

I have some 158 grain 357 XTP and some 230 grain 45 ACP golden saber I bought in bulk about a decade ago. What do you think acceptable prices would be?

I see the both auctioning for $0.80 per round in bulk on GunBroker.

Also, I reload 38s. My next batch will be some mild ones for IDPA, 160 grain going about 650-700 fps. Is it even legal to sell reloads? I'm thinking $0.30-$0.35 per round, depending on quantity.

So...
    Is $40 per box on the XTP and Golden Saber kosher?
    Is it legal to sell reloads?
    If legal, is the price on reloads reasonable?

Ryan
    My understanding is that selling reloads is a no-no, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Even if it is legal, I'd be more concerned about civil liability

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Selling home brewed reloads is illegal without the proper licensing.

rgibso6

Ryan
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 9, 2010
    Lafayette
    I appreciate the input.

I saw the golden sabers going for $1/ round at a local gun store, but they're known for being pricey on everything. I don't even remember what I paid for them it's been so long.

BadEye

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2016
    Metairie, LA
    What is the REAL reason for quadruple ammo prices? I do not believe the major ammo manufacturers would jack up the prices. I do not think the component prices have risen. Sure they are working longer hours, more days, hiring more workers and maybe paying overtime, but I think they would make up for that in selling more quantity. If a legitimate retailer was low on supply, the correct way to handle that situation is called Back-Order, not outright price gouging.
    There are laws against such practices and yet nobody seems to call them on it. Would the Federal Trade Commission get involved or are they jumping for joy because they hate guns and gun owners?
    Does anybody know of any retail outlet that has NOT raised their prices? I would love to know because I will do any and all further business with them. If enough customers stopped doing business with the unscrupulous price gougers they would cease and desist or close their doors for good which would be fine with me.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    What is the REAL reason for quadruple ammo prices? I do not believe the major ammo manufacturers would jack up the prices. I do not think the component prices have risen. Sure they are working longer hours, more days, hiring more workers and maybe paying overtime, but I think they would make up for that in selling more quantity. If a legitimate retailer was low on supply, the correct way to handle that situation is called Back-Order, not outright price gouging.
    There are laws against such practices and yet nobody seems to call them on it. Would the Federal Trade Commission get involved or are they jumping for joy because they hate guns and gun owners?
    Does anybody know of any retail outlet that has NOT raised their prices? I would love to know because I will do any and all further business with them. If enough customers stopped doing business with the unscrupulous price gougers they would cease and desist or close their doors for good which would be fine with me.

The reason you see prices have increased is simply supply and demand. While some manufacturers have increased prices, due to the increased price of materials due to a shortage (also supply & demand), the prices that are trickling down to retailers has also increased. Traditionally, the manufacturer sells to a distributor, the distributor sells to a retailer, and the retailer sells to the consumer. As the product changes hands, the price is slightly increased each time. As an example, Federal increased prices by 20% (+/-). They also now sell direct to consumer. So that cost is being passed on to the distributor, the retailer, and the consumer. Right now, retailers can only purchase what is available from the distributors.

I spoke with a friend of mine who runs a shop and he basically told me he can order ammunition at cheaper prices, but he's put on a waiting list and has no idea when it will show up. Alternatively, he can pay a premium and buy what is readily available, thanks to supply & demand. This is why you see increased prices on ball ammo, but not defensive ammo. The same reason you see M855 and XM193 at $0.60 or more per rounds, but 77gr FGMM has stayed about the same.

I'm still buying defensive ammunition for similar prices that I paid before the panic buying began, but I have not been able to purchase FMJ training ammunition for cheaper prices in nearly 6 months.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Supply and demand. Simple economics. The market will charge what the people will pay.
    Academy is keeping a pretty decent hold on their prices I am told. They set limits per person to stretch the lot. Cabela’s is also keeping their prices stable.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Academy is keeping a pretty decent hold on their prices I am told. They set limits per person to stretch the lot.

Yep. I found some there last week, and they had inflated but fair prices ($10.99-11.99/box for 9mm FMJ) with a limit of three boxes per caliber per customer. Not ideal of course, but all things considered that seems reasonable... I’m seeing some online retailers charging more than $25/box for the same thing.

BadEye

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2016
    Metairie, LA
    I will look @ Academy and Cabela's even though I haven't bought from either in a while because I found their prices too high compared to mail order suppliers. But now their prices may be less than the others. I hadn't considered them but thanks for your input, I will give it a shot. Pun intended.

jimdanos

Silver Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Lafourche Parish
    The Academy in Houma abd thibodaux only have shotgun shells, only a few at that. As of last night, no centerfire or rimfire available.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    Meanwhile Ammoseek is showing starting prices for brass cased 9mm FMJ at over 60 cents per round. Federal XM 855 at 68 cents per round.

The last time I looked at Ammoseek, cheapest 9mm was $.47cpr after shipping, and that was for steel case. The same company wanted $1/round for 147gr Speer Gold Dot. I'm guessing anyone who is buying ammo now is really desperate

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The last time I looked at Ammoseek, cheapest 9mm was $.47cpr after shipping, and that was for steel case. The same company wanted $1/round for 147gr Speer Gold Dot. I'm guessing anyone who is buying ammo now is really desperate

9mm Gold Dot and HST have been selling for $40 plus a box for months and they sell out quite often. Same with 9mm American Eagle and Lawman at $20 plus a box.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    9mm Gold Dot and HST have been selling for $40 plus a box for months and they sell out quite often. Same with 9mm American Eagle and Lawman at $20 plus a box.
    Currently sold out, but I've picked up 147gr Gold Dot from iammo within the last month for $29/box, total shipping on the order was $7.00. Looks like that may have been a sale price, as it's listed at $35/box right now.
    YMMV

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Currently sold out, but I've picked up 147gr Gold Dot from iammo within the last month for $29/box, total shipping on the order was $7.00. Looks like that may have been a sale price, as it's listed at $35/box right now.
    YMMV

Yeah, I spent an hour minimum online last night looking just to try to nail down some prices....which is hard to do when there’s very little available. Most of the links are dry when you get to the actual add to cart button. Nearest I can figure, 9mm FMJ brass case starts at 70 cents per round. 5.56 193 is 67 cents per round with 855 coming in a few cents higher.
    When availability is near zero, the price rises by the hour. I watched this happen when Obama was re-elected, which people blamed on a perfect storm scenario. We have about 3 months til the election and the government has again ordered a huge block of ammo from commercial manufacturers. I think they know just when to do that...

Also the Widener’s disaster, I didn’t even figure that in, but not sure how that will affect supply.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Yeah, I spent an hour minimum online last night looking just to try to nail down some prices....which is hard to do when there’s very little available. Most of the links are dry when you get to the actual add to cart button. Nearest I can figure, 9mm FMJ brass case starts at 70 cents per round. 5.56 193 is 67 cents per round with 855 coming in a few cents higher.
    When availability is near zero, the price rises by the hour. I watched this happen when Obama was re-elected, which people blamed on a perfect storm scenario. We have about 3 months til the election and the government has again ordered a huge block of ammo from commercial manufacturers. I think they know just when to do that...

Also the Widener’s disaster, I didn’t even figure that in, but not sure how that will affect supply.

Mines are closed due to the Wuhan China virus

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom