Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    On Target

User Info Menu

45-70 for tactical

Anyone out there think about a lever action 45-70 as a tactical weapon. Iíve been thinking about it for a while. Thoughts?

Marksman

User Info Menu

I would think they have some of the same limitations as tactical shotgun. Keeping ammo in the gun and topped off will be much slower and harder than a mag fed gun. I would assume keeping it fed and finding a ways to carry appropriate amounts of fairly large and loose ammo is going to be the hardest part. Even if you load your own ammo it will be fairly expensive compared to other " tactical" calibers. I would also invest in a big bottle of advil for your shooting bag. Training with a 45-70 in a tactical role is going to hurt. I might be a wimp but i'm pretty much done after 20 rounds of 45-70 out of my henry. If you can over come these obstacles, i'd say you would be something to fear.
    Last edited by clem131; July 31st, 2020 at 09:08 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

If that's what you have, use it. Pretty sure a lever .45-70 was used as a "tactical" a few times in the last hundred or so years!

If you want to stay with that caliber (sort of), but want better round capacity, check out the Phoenix Weaponry "Christine".

Spoiler alert - AR-style Pmag fed 45-70 auto, uses .45-70 cases with the rim turned down enough to work in a semi-auto.
    Last edited by LaBelle; July 31st, 2020 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Clarification

Marksman

User Info Menu

If I were under attack by a herd of Buffalo, it would be my choice of tactical weapon

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Anyone out there think about a lever action 45-70 as a tactical weapon. I’ve been thinking about it for a while. Thoughts?
    Increased recoil
    Low capacity
    Difficult to reload
    Long OAL
    Limited options for necessary enhancements

I would stick with proven platforms.

Marksman

User Info Menu

When I think tactical 45-70, I envision a grizzly as my opponent.
    Sara mo ki kara ochiru

User Info Menu

It would wake you up for sure especially out of a lighter weapon. I shoot my single shot before deer season and its the only rifle that I sight in that I am satisfied with it being close enough. And I regularly shoot my 7 mag. Also, if you fell in water with the ammo you need to carry you would never come back up It would be interesting to see how someone with body armor on would react to the thump of a center mass 45-70. now I'm gonna have to spend an hour looking for videos on 45-70. "Tactical" has changed a lot in the last 100 years.

Marksman

User Info Menu

this is about as tactical as i get with them.. I have a ar-47 sbr that i like to do some stalk hunting with suppressed, but i often find my self making rounds on my property checking feeders and food plots typically with my 1894(44mag) or 1895P (45-70)... they are amazinly fast pointing, compact, light, pack a mean punch, and fast on the reload... i would consder those tactical lol not to mention if i thow a few more shells in my pocket that makes them high capacity
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	302.0 KB 
ID:	97449   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	97450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asset1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	97451   Click image for larger version. 

Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	97452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1DB798E-3239-4588-9953-9E57A0294090.jpg 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	97453  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maker4.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	192.1 KB 
ID:	97454  
    Last edited by Bigchillin83; August 1st, 2020 at 10:13 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Aridus has been doing cool stuff with lever guns, but these are catered more towards those in ban states.