Join BayouShooter For Free
Meplat

Page 1 of 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: RANT....

EARPLUGS??

User Info Menu

RANT....

So, this is just a personal rant that I need to get off my chest.... and I hope I don't get kicked off for it.
    It's been a while since I've bought guns and ammo and I've never made it a mission to buy as much ammo as I can every week like some people I know over the years. I have just a couple, maybe 3 handguns and a long gun with a "good" amount of ammo. I stopped hoarding such items because life takes over and priorities change.

Skip to 2020 and I feel like I've been left in the dust! I still have ammo but now it'll be hard to replace if I ever use it.
    NO! I refuse to pay those stupid high criminal prices for ammo! Not there....Not here!
    What's most disheartening is that some of y'all in the BS community are drinking the kool-aid and jumping on the gouging train.

Panic buys are BULLSHIT!
    There is/was EVER NO REASON for that to even happen. It started with the Covid shutdown and it's taken off!
    Basically, it started with someone having an unsubstantial fear.... and he told a friend..... then that friend told another.... and another.... and so on.

This post is not meant for argument, it's just my point of view. It's an unfortunate course of events that has taken a wrong turn. It saddens me that most people will still try to profit from this crisis.

For all intensive purposes, I do what I have to do. Social distance. Wear a mask. Wash my hands, so on and so forth. Wether you all believe that the virus and pandemic is real or not doesn't even matter anymore. What's done is done. Let's all be good to each other and stop taking advantage of a crisis.

I'M NOT FALLING FOR IT!!
    Last edited by CUJOHUNTER; August 3rd, 2020 at 01:02 PM.
    Professional Bassist
    Amateur Cyclist
    Avid Shooter

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

It's for the children....and the rioters
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

I do not panic buy never have. I do have stock when things are on sale. I buy TP at Sams Club. So the TP shortage was no problem.
    I bought 40,000 rounds of 22lr at the CMP when it was 90 bucks a case of 5000. Still have 20,000.
    7I did the same with CCI Mini Mags. I have a half of ton of lead casting eqp. About 750 pounds of cast bullets lubed in boxes of various types.
    Lots of Brass, Powder, and had lots of Primers I bought at 18-25 down to last 10K.
    There is a Difference between Hoarding and "Stocking up when Cheap" on everything and anything.

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom

User Info Menu

I learned after Sandyhook.

I'm stocked deep in primers, brass and powder.

I can reload for every center-fire caliber I own, and a few I don't own.

I cast and powder coat my own bullets, and after retiring as a roofer, I have thousands of pounds of lead.

I am not panicking.

I'm enjoying the range, and shooting as much as ever.

I'm probably shooting rimfire a bit less though.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Oh Snap ! Found a bag of magazines that I had misplaced for years.
    Life is good when you plan ahead !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200803_124325.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	97516  
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

I can only tell you what works for me, and I’ve been a happy gun enthusiast since about 1980. I buy and store when prices are at a low. Like last year. Extremely low prices on everything firearms related. I planned purchases and saw them through. When February and March rolled around and I saw prices starting to take a turn upward I regrouped and checked myself to see what I might need to top off to my liking, and would have likely bought more of something if I’d needed anything. Instead I made a few purchases on things that were extremely low cost, like 4 days of traveling to Walmart stores buying pistol ammo and 5.56 at less than half price. And now? I don’t buy. I never buy in times like these and there have been a few in my lifetime. Good lord, I bought so much ammo when things hit the bottom in the Bush years (post Brady freak out days) that I didn’t buy a bullet for a few of the Obammy years. Unless a crazy deal falls in my lap I won’t spend a penny on ammo until things go back into my buy zone.
    In short, if it’s important enough to a person to have a good supply of anything, they should stock up when the times are good and turn a blind eye to the market in times like now. If it’s not a priority for a person, then they shouldn’t worry about it when it’s a bad time to buy. I’d be willing to bet we all know someone with more 22 ammo than they’ll ever shoot. Question is, if they sell it today at the going rate, will they take a loss or make a profit? And have they paid the card off yet that was used to buy it?
    Don’t fret Cujo, there maybe another time to stock up just around the corner.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

EARPLUGS??

User Info Menu

I'm not running low. I don't have a 5 year surplus either. I do like to shoot at least 2-3 times a month but that's been curtailed because I wouldn't be able to replace the ammo at regular or decent prices. I keep what I have now and look for "deals" when they pop up.
    Professional Bassist
    Amateur Cyclist
    Avid Shooter

On Target

User Info Menu

Brother, you aren't the only one. I thought the same thing and I started digging. What I discovered is that it is a host of issues that are affecting the ammunition scarcity.
    1. Ammunition Factories were shut down for months due to Covid.
    2. Mining of Lead in what I believe was Arkansas was shut down for several months.
    3. Mining of Copper in what I remember as Bolivia was shut down.
    4. Fear buying
    5. Uncertainty of the 2020 election on Ammunition and Firearms.
    6. The U.S. Government recently placed a Huuuuuuge (see what I did) order.

Marksman

User Info Menu

The problem is ... it's very easy to stampede the herd ...
    All it takes is some "fake news" on social media , it catches like wild fire and "The Herd" believes it ...they swallow whatever is posted as gospel truth and go into full blown panic .
    There was no reason to have a panic buying on Toilet Paper ...it got started , people started buying as much as they could carry and the shortage was on !

I think the Russian President Vladimir Putin said it best ... " Americans are so gullible ".

If the fools didn't believe everything they see , hear or read on social media they would be a lot better off .
    A lot of disinformation is planted out there to cause disruption .

It's working very well isn't it .
    Gary

*Banned*

User Info Menu

Anyone can sell or ask any price for what they have or want to sell for what they have. Others do not have to buy it. No one is being forced to buy what they have for sale. It is called self control. They have it. I or you do not have it. How much is it worth to you or me?