Elk Stag Grips

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beau Etienne

Take a Card. Any Card.
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Anyone have experience making or modifying?
    I just got a beautiful set, but they are too thick to be really comfortable to me .
    I hesitate modifying them because I know nothing of how fragil they are and I read that some are strengthened by adding another product. They also look to have been polished.
    Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00158.JPG
      DSC00158.JPG
      33.2 KB · Views: 106
    Last edited:

usmc-nav

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I saw a video of a guy using a belt sander and letting it take off a little bit at a time, however, I haven’t ever done it.

pullstart

Lastof6
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    Metairie, La
    I have a good bit of experience. The material is not that fragile. the problem is that you will have to take the material from the side that has the character. if you take the material from the side against the frame the grips will get too narrow on your frame. Better to sell your set on Ebay and buy another set you like better. I have several sets I made that ended up to narrow by the time the final thickness was obtained. A good quality belt sander is all you need to get it done. Fine tune with sand paper in your hand.

Beau Etienne

Take a Card. Any Card.
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I have a good bit of experience. The material is not that fragile. the problem is that you will have to take the material from the side that has the character. if you take the material from the side against the frame the grips will get too narrow on your frame. Better to sell your set on Ebay and buy another set you like better. I have several sets I made that ended up to narrow by the time the final thickness was obtained. A good quality belt sander is all you need to get it done. Fine tune with sand paper in your hand.

Thanks. I will leave them alone.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    There are makers that make "thin" stag grips the only problem is you loose a lot of the brown bark that gives stag it's color and texture and get something that looks more like bone with little or no brown figure to it .
    If they are too thick ... try a pair of "thin" aged faux ivory...I would say real ivory but that may be illegal now days. These can be made thin and still look good .

The stag grips you have are very nice ...keep them for Bar-B-Que's
    Gary

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Anyone have experience making or modifying?
    I just got a beautiful set, but they are too thick to be really comfortable to me .
    I hesitate modifying them because I know nothing of how fragil they are and I read that some are strengthened by adding another product. They also look to have been polished.
    Thanks

Yep, Pretty nice,I have large hands so I'll offer you something like $278.48 cents for what's in the picture? Can meet in N.Lafayette,I'll bring cash,Glad to help out !

Beau Etienne

Take a Card. Any Card.
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    There are makers that make "thin" stag grips the only problem is you loose a lot of the brown bark that gives stag it's color and texture and get something that looks more like bone with little or no brown figure to it .
    If they are too thick ... try a pair of "thin" aged faux ivory...I would say real ivory but that may be illegal now days. These can be made thin and still look good .

The stag grips you have are very nice ...keep them for Bar-B-Que's
    Gary

Thanks, GW.

pullstart

Lastof6
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    Metairie, La
    These are elk grips I made. They all had bark on the finished side until i got them to the right thickness. you can see that some are more narrow that others. I tried taking the material off the back side as well. These are my seconds. This is what yours would end up looking like. I fill the porous back side of the grips with either ivory or black epoxy for strength.

Attachments

• IMG_2467.jpg
      IMG_2467.jpg
      192.7 KB · Views: 64

Beau Etienne

Take a Card. Any Card.
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    Thanks for that. Looks like a craft I could enjoy.
    I returned the previous set and am waiting for a thin set from the same guy. I thought I could get use to the thickness, but, no.
    The fellow that makes then is being very accommodating.

Beau Etienne

Take a Card. Any Card.
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    The saga is almost over.
    I called the grip maker to explain the size problem and he showed me a set of thins that I might want in exchange.
    They looked almost the same and I agreed.
    Now I'll install some Challis slim grip bushings and all will be well in Whoville.
    Props to Wylie Leather for how he handled this.

Attachments

• DSC00212.JPG
      DSC00212.JPG
      46.2 KB · Views: 87
    • DSC00197.JPG
      DSC00197.JPG
      36.3 KB · Views: 53

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017