Do all CHP laws apply on Private Property as well?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The Texas MPA explicitly allows concealed carry to, from, and in your vehicle. The to and from are restricted to your residence and/or place of business. Since LA and TX neighbor the fuddlore could have gained steam based on TX’s 2009 MPA.

It was fuddlore long before 2009 though.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I took 3 minutes out of my day to call the LSP concealed handgun department and ask them about this, to help save us all the headache of arguing about it.

You can carry concealed inside your own home, that you own or rent, even if you do not have a permit. This does not apply to anyone else's house, friends, family or otherwise, with or without permission. ONLY your own home.

You can open carry in your vehicle, but you cannot conceal a firearm outside of the four walls that you own and live in without a permit.

Who did you talk to at CHP section? A clerk that just processes paperwork for CHP's or someone that knows LA laws?

So if you can't CC in your vehicle without a valid CHP but you can CC in your home without a valid CHP that kinds of blows that Extension of your home worn out saying to hell.

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Who did you talk to at CHP section? A clerk that just processes paperwork for CHP's or someone that knows LA laws?

So if you can't CC in your vehicle without a valid CHP but you can CC in your home without a valid CHP that kinds of blows that Extension of your home worn out saying to hell.

225-925-6006

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    All Louisiana Revised Statutes apply to private property with the exception of the traffic code (Title 32) and any law that expressly states that it does not apply to private property.

As an example, RS 32:58 to wit Careless Operation of a Motor Vehicle requires that you be on a public street or road. RS 14:99 to wit Reckless Operation of a Motor Vehicle does not require you be on a public street or road.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    That is 100% false information.

1. You need to obtain a Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit to legally carry a concealed handgun anywhere in the state. This includes your home.
    2. You do not receive immunity from the law by being inside your home.
    3. You must obtain permission to enter someone else's home while carrying a concealed handgun (with a valid CHP).

Your quote doesn't not address your claim.

State Police Concealed handgun unit must be lying to me then... I don't think they are, but whatever.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Your quote doesn't not address your claim.

State Police Concealed handgun unit must be lying to me then... I don't think they are, but whatever.

Can you provide the statute that confirms your claim?

Saying *well the state police said it was okay* doesn’t hold up in court if there is no statute that proves it to be true.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    There is a big difference between having a beer or two and driving (which is something you do basically everyday and doesn't directly involve a ton of fine motor skills) and utilizing a weapon under a very stressed situation in a crowd.

Not sure if I can agree with this...

Driving on the roads where I live (and among the unwashed masses that I have to drive with) is just as stressful as trying to shoot in a crowd, as far as consequence to failure go. I will add that a few drinks may actually lower the perceived stress and possibly calm the nerves. Whether this will make you a better shooter (or driver) is anyone's guess, as the booze could cause motor skill degradation, and negate any benefits of the calming effect of alcohol. Seems like most people perform worse under any sort of substance.

I have never had to shoot in a crowd, drunk or sober. But I have plenty of experience driving, in all conditions. Driving while tired/sleepy is the worst, IMO.

As far as drinking and guns go... well most people can't handle their booze, so having access to a gun while intoxicated is a bad idea, and certainly seems to be against the law.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Not sure if I can agree with this...

Driving on the roads where I live (and among the unwashed masses that I have to drive with) is just as stressful as trying to shoot in a crowd, as far as consequence to failure go. I will add that a few drinks may actually lower the perceived stress and possibly calm the nerves. Whether this will make you a better shooter (or driver) is anyone's guess, as the booze could cause motor skill degradation, and negate any benefits of the calming effect of alcohol. Seems like most people perform worse under any sort of substance.

I have never had to shoot in a crowd, drunk or sober. But I have plenty of experience driving, in all conditions. Driving while tired/sleepy is the worst, IMO.

As far as drinking and guns go... well most people can't handle their booze, so having access to a gun while intoxicated is a bad idea, and certainly seems to be against the law.

I'm still going to have to disagree. If you are two or three beers in and driving home, you're probably trying to be extra careful as to not get pulled over and risk a DUI. Purely speculating on that, of course. Additionally, cars are relatively safe, especially with seatbelts.

Conversely, shooting at an adversary under stress stone cold sober is hard. Add in a crowd to it and it becomes much tougher. Add in a bit of alcohol that will slow down reaction time and lower fine muscle control, and I'm arguing that it's a recipe for disaster.

Bumping into another car or causing a wreck while tipsy might not greatly injure others, and probably won't kill them, either.
    Shooting the wrong person(s) in a crowd will definitely injure someone, likely severely.

Being real, I know a lot of people have one or two drinks and carry and also drive afterwards. Realistically, the chances of having to use the gun are incredibly minimal, and I'm just arguing that it's not smart or the best decision. I know I've had a beer while carrying before, but I cap it at one, and I really try to keep that to very rare occasions.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I'm still going to have to disagree. If you are two or three beers in and driving home, you're probably trying to be extra careful as to not get pulled over and risk a DUI. Purely speculating on that, of course. Additionally, cars are relatively safe, especially with seatbelts.

Conversely, shooting at an adversary under stress stone cold sober is hard. Add in a crowd to it and it becomes much tougher. Add in a bit of alcohol that will slow down reaction time and lower fine muscle control, and I'm arguing that it's a recipe for disaster.

Bumping into another car or causing a wreck while tipsy might not greatly injure others, and probably won't kill them, either.
    Shooting the wrong person(s) in a crowd will definitely injure someone, likely severely.

Being real, I know a lot of people have one or two drinks and carry and also drive afterwards. Realistically, the chances of having to use the gun are incredibly minimal, and I'm just arguing that it's not smart or the best decision. I know I've had a beer while carrying before, but I cap it at one, and I really try to keep that to very rare occasions.

Wow man,Just WOW !

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell

I see your point, the car does offer quite a bit of saftey to the occupants, and if the drunk shooting was against another shooter (likely, why shoot otherwise) then any imparairment would be likely cause for serious harm or death.

As you say, I am sure there are plenty of people who carry and drink...

Back to the OP, this wedding sure seems to have a theorized potential of going south in an epic manner. Perhaps the guest list should be vetted more thoroughly?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    It’s worth noting Drinking and then driving doesn’t necessarily mean one is doing anything wrong or illegal.

A long time ago I was a bartender, and the two rules of thumb we always utilized were:

1. Three drinks within one hour for an average adult will put them pretty close to the legal limit of .08%

2.The average adult human can metabolize one alcoholic beverage per hour. One shot 1.5Oz, one beer 12oz, or one gas of wine 5oz.

Now the is America by God and nothing is done in proper serving sizes so the math can get tricky, but it’s just math. If you drink 3 pints and you wait 2 hours your BAC should be well below legal limits.

Disclaimer this is neither legal or health advice. It’s also worth pointing out these are rules of thumb based on an average adult human.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom