Do all CHP laws apply on Private Property as well?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    That is 100% false information.

1. You need to obtain a Louisiana Concealed Handgun Permit to legally carry a concealed handgun anywhere in the state. This includes your home.
    2. You do not receive immunity from the law by being inside your home.
    3. You must obtain permission to enter someone else's home while carrying a concealed handgun (with a valid CHP).

Bingo that's the answer.

If you have go CC at the wedding invite people that you won't need to be armed around.

Davidg53

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2018
    Bentley,La
    I find nothing in the law that prohibits me from concealed carry inside my home. Once I step off my property, chp laws apply, but in my home? I’m still a free man. Please prove me wrong by quoting La statute.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I find nothing in the law that prohibits me from concealed carry inside my home. Once I step off my property, chp laws apply, but in my home? I’m still a free man. Please prove me wrong by quoting La statute.

Do you have a concealed handgun permit?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I find nothing in the law that prohibits me from concealed carry inside my home.

Louisiana RS 14:95 - This applies everywhere in the state of Louisiana

§95. Illegal carrying of weapons

A. Illegal carrying of weapons is:

(1) The intentional concealment of any firearm, or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon, on one's person;

So we have established that carrying a concealed firearm is illegal. Now let's see how people can legally do so.

Louisiana RS 1379.3 - Statewide permits for concealed handguns; application procedures; definitions

B.(1) A concealed handgun permit shall be issued only to a Louisiana resident who qualifies
    for a permit under the provisions of this Section. A concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to
    the provisions of this Section shall grant authority to a Louisiana resident to carry a concealed
    handgun on his person

It's amazing what you will find when you actually take the time to learn your state's legislation and what it means, rather than being lazy and believing whatever fuddlore you and your friends talk about.

Last edited:

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I took 3 minutes out of my day to call the LSP concealed handgun department and ask them about this, to help save us all the headache of arguing about it.

You can carry concealed inside your own home, that you own or rent, even if you do not have a permit. This does not apply to anyone else's house, friends, family or otherwise, with or without permission. ONLY your own home.

You can open carry in your vehicle, but you cannot conceal a firearm outside of the four walls that you own and live in without a permit.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I took 3 minutes out of my day to call the LSP concealed handgun department and ask them about this, to help save us all the headache of arguing about it.

You can carry concealed inside your own home, that you own or rent, even if you do not have a permit. This does not apply to anyone else's house, friends, family or otherwise, with or without permission. ONLY your own home.

You can open carry in your vehicle, but you cannot conceal a firearm outside of the four walls that you own and live in without a permit.

So you can conceal in your house but only open carry in your car even though your car is an extension of your house?

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    So you can conceal in your house but only open carry in your car even though your car is an extension of your house?

That's the rumor. I was taught in my class that you could CC in your vehicle without a permit for that very reason, but -- at least according to the woman I just got off the phone with -- that was misinformation. News to me, I woulda sworn permit-less carry in your vehicle was fine until about 20 minutes ago. I know I did it before my permit arrived thinking it was fine. Might be worth someone else calling in later today or tomorrow and seeing if we get the same answer.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    That's the rumor. I was taught in my class that you could CC in your vehicle without a permit for that very reason, but -- at least according to the woman I just got off the phone with -- that was misinformation. News to me, I woulda sworn permit-less carry in your vehicle was fine until about 20 minutes ago. I know I did it before my permit arrived thinking it was fine. Might be worth someone else calling in later today or tomorrow and seeing if we get the same answer.

Thd vehicle confusion may be coming from Texas. That is legal in Texas by way of the Texas Motorist Protection act.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Makes sense to me. And if your car is your home you are double ok to cc while drinking without a permit just make sure you tell the ocifur (hichup sound effect here) that it’s your primary residence.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Makes sense to me. And if your car is your home you are double ok to cc while drinking without a permit just make sure you tell the ocifur (hichup sound effect here) that it’s your primary residence.

What if you live in an RV? Then your vehicle really is your primary home.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Thd vehicle confusion may be coming from Texas. That is legal in Texas by way of the Texas Motorist Protection act.

The vehicle confusion comes from people believing Louisiana has a *Castle Doctrine* that means your car and home are one in the same.

Your vehicle and business are covered under Jusitifiable Homicide, but they do not have the same rights as your home.

- - - Updated - - -

That was an interesting question that was brought up a while back. IIRC, it depends if the RV is parked on your property or not.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Ive pondered this question before. Not so much the primary residence part but As a temporary residence or vacation home. While in transit I would say it’s a motor vehicle but parked in a place in which authorized to take temporary residence I would say it’s a residence much like a hotel. I imagine each state has clarified these types of conversations. I do recall from the Texas MPA, Texas considers a hotel you are authorized to occupy as a residence. So.. I would have to say it depends greatly on location.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The vehicle confusion comes from people believing Louisiana has a *Castle Doctrine* that means your car and home are one in the same.

Your vehicle and business are covered under Jusitifiable Homicide, but they do not have the same rights as your home.

- - - Updated - - -

That was an interesting question that was brought up a while back. IIRC, it depends if the RV is parked on your property or not.

The Texas MPA explicitly allows concealed carry to, from, and in your vehicle. The to and from are restricted to your residence and/or place of business. Since LA and TX neighbor the fuddlore could have gained steam based on TX’s 2009 MPA.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom