NOT being able to reply on for sale posts sucks

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    ** Gets on Soap Box**

Somebody posts something for sale... It used be the first person to post "I'll take it" got to buy it, (within a reasonable / agreeable time frame)... not the first tire kicker asking questions, but the first person with intent to purchase it and stating that on the forum... people may follow saying "next in line" etc... but now with not being able to reply and everything behind the scenes, we don't get that visibility.

Case in point, messaged a seller within seconds of a listing. He PMs and texts me with a location in time to buy within an hour... I text back saying I can't be there in an hour (I live over an hour away). Then I text about picking up same time tomorrow. Ya know, so I can rearrange my shift at work. He text me right back the item is now SPF... WTF man?!?!?!

Where's the common decency anymore??? Anybody seen some??? Is it for sale along with the $1 a round 9mm?

I mean give me a MFing break...

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The seller can make up whatever terms they so choose.
    The item is not your property until a transaction has been made.

I'd rather it be PM's only, because I list all relevant information in the ad when I post it. If there are other inquiries, they can send me a message.

Simply saying "I'll take it" doesn't mean much.

pandabear

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 1, 2014
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    That happens more than you realized.
    I had "members" tells me the sales was off due to another person offer more money. Some had the decency to notify me. Some just didn't bother to show up.
    I had someone tells me if I still want the product, its gonna be more, even though we have already agreed on a price. I just remember who they are, and never buy or sell to them again.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    We brought back the ability to reply to threads for around eight months and it was a hot mess that didn't work.

A big problem that kept coming up is that people expect the first person to want something to be the person somehow entitled to it.

If I post something for sale on here and someone offers me the asking price for it, and then later someone I know personally reaches out and asks for it, the person I know is going to be the one who gets it, unless I have already committed to a deal.

With that being said, sometimes people need to un-commit from a deal. **** happens and things come up. Site staff kept having to get involved with all of the disputes that were caused by people thinking that they are entitled to something because they snuck a reply in quicker.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    That happens more than you realized.
    I had "members" tells me the sales was off due to another person offer more money. Some had the decency to notify me. Some just didn't bother to show up.
    I had someone tells me if I still want the product, its gonna be more, even though we have already agreed on a price. I just remember who they are, and never buy or sell to them again.

Hope you also left negative feedback for them.

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    Over 13 years or so on here I've definitely learned the lesson of keeping my eyes on the Classifieds section while actively looking for something, because of literally being seconds too late to post "I'll take it"...

I can definitely see both sides of the argument. Forum moderators shouldn't have to police internet squabbles. I guess since every other person I've ever dealt with on here was legit, it burned a little and I needed to vent. (Passes whiskey 'round)

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I’ve had people say *I’ll take it.* and not get a PM or response for days.

Meanwhile, I received multiple PM’s saying they will buy it and can meet whenever. Guess who gets it?

I’ve been able to deal with a lot of good people, some bad, but every good transaction has been because of communications.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Over 13 years or so on here I've definitely learned the lesson of keeping my eyes on the Classifieds section while actively looking for something, because of literally being seconds too late to post "I'll take it"...

I can definitely see both sides of the argument. Forum moderators shouldn't have to police internet squabbles. I guess since every other person I've ever dealt with on here was legit, it burned a little and I needed to vent. (Passes whiskey 'round)

All good. Like most things in life, the 1% cause problems for the rest of the world.

I've never had a bad deal on here yet, but I'd say that we probably see one a month or so that's actually brought up to us.

rugrat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Louisiana
    100% correct, A man's word is useless nowadays due too being greedy F'ks.
    No pride,No chance of making a friend.

I have seen that alot lately not just here but other places as well. I can say that if I give someone "my word" on a buy or sale deal, it is good because that is the right/correct thing to do and I do have standards to honor what I commit to!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The knife cuts both ways. Let's say that a buyer saying "I'll take it" isn't a guarantee of a sale. It could be the guarantee of a potential sale. The buyer could, upon inspecting the item in person, decide to not buy it. If the seller waited a couple of days to meet the not-a-buyer, he could have passed up meeting real buyers. Now he'd got to go back and contact the people who were interested and hope they still want it. If the buyer saying "I'll take it" is his word that he will buy the item, the buyer can paypal/venmo/whatever the money that day if he can't meet for a day or two. If the buyer can't trust the seller enough to send him the money now, the buyer can't reasonably fault the seller from not trusting the buyer enough to pass up actual sales for a potential sale.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I have seen that alot lately not just here but other places as well. I can say that if I give someone "my word" on a buy or sale deal, it is good because that is the right/correct thing to do and I do have standards to honor what I commit to!

I 100% agree,Once had a gent working off down in Mexico that wanted my item I had for sale,He then explained that he would buy the item for at my asking price if it was held for him in a weeks time on his returning to the state,I'm sure,Only if you give you're word to buy this,He assured me he would.
    Several days later I get a text and could I meet him at XXX place,Cash in hand.
    I'm like you got yourself a deal Buddy,Things went down as planned,He drove away happy and that makes 2 of us !

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    On the flip side from the buyer/seller perspective I can see the mods’ point too. During that “open replies” time I saw a lot of bickering and griping from not-buyers alleging the price was too high or trying to arrange inspections for free (a sellers time isn’t free either) followed by Still Available posts. Leaves a lot of excess junk they need to sort thru for a volunteer (in their spare time) tasking...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    On the flip side from the buyer/seller perspective I can see the mods’ point too. During that *open replies* time I saw a lot of bickering and griping from not-buyers alleging the price was too high or trying to arrange inspections for free (a sellers time isn’t free either) followed by Still Available posts. Leaves a lot of excess junk they need to sort thru for a volunteer (in their spare time) tasking...

This right here... "I'll take it" means nothing unless a deal is made after.... there's a lot of flakes out there

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    On the flip side from the buyer/seller perspective I can see the mods’ point too. During that *open replies* time I saw a lot of bickering and griping from not-buyers alleging the price was too high or trying to arrange inspections for free (a sellers time isn’t free either) followed by Still Available posts. Leaves a lot of excess junk they need to sort thru for a volunteer (in their spare time) tasking...

Oh please man,If I charged what I think I'm worth like 160.00 per hour,+ mileage,The seller would owe me money!!!

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I think the worse is getting a PM that says, "I'll take it", and then expect the seller to bring it to New Orleans or some other God Forsaken place for the sale. Me, I'm not running a delivery service and don't ever want to go to New Orleans unless the Publishers Clearing House is waiting there with a multi million dollar check. Otherwise they can run 6 more Katrinas through there back to back and blow that whole toilet bowl out to sea.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    theres no way of proving they backing out or negitve feed back... i had a item that was sold via pm and text message , price and location was agreed upon, we both had busy scheds so i was asked to hold it for a few days till HE came back in town... get a text last night @ 9:30pm that hes back in town and that found one on the internet for cheaper i dont need yours anymore....:dogkeke: to top it off the item wasnt even for sell anymore i was just gonna sell my extra to help sombody out cause they inquired about mine that was forsale a while ago lol

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    plus as we get closer to elections i think we ought to be able to comment and have fun on the wts ads for wasrs for $1500 :mamoru:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom