thoughts on cast bullets

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grantn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2020
    Terrytown, LA
    i'm in the process of reloading ammo for the range and am wondering what some thoughts on using cast bullets (not by me) for target ammo. pros, cons. they are much cheaper than jacketed bullets so is this a viable alternative.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Bell your brass a bit more than you would for a jacketed, and enjoy shooting more.

I prefer coated cast bullets over traditionally lubed cast bullets. In my experience I have fewer issues with leading the bore.

Bayoubullets.net is a great local resource.

Blaize

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Saint amant
    DBMJR1 hit the nail on the head.

i shoot pistol matches weekly, and all I shoot are Bayous. The 145 and 120 in 9mm are great, depends on what you want your recoil impulse to feel like, and how you want your sights to track.

for .45 I use his 200gr SWC. It is supremely accurate in any gun I’ve put them through. My Colts and Springfield Armory love them.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    thanks for the advice. it looks like i may have to pay them a visit.

If you visit them, tell Dennis 'Don says Hi'. He'll probably look at you cockeyed, but he'd remember me if he saw me. Great fellow.

I've been buying from them since Donnie opened it at their old location.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I started reloading , handguns, in 1967 . After about 6 weeks of reloading ammo and buying bullets I bought my first bullet mould ... Handguns and cast bullets go together like Ham-N-Eggs . over the last 50+ years 95% cast bullets fired through all my handguns .
    My home Cast bullets have won me several trophies in NRA Match competitions. I make sure to have bullet moulds and reloading dies for every handgun and rifle I own + 12ga. and 20 ga. slug moulds . In rifles I now shoot mostly cast but in the past 50% was jacketed .
    The main reason for all the moulds is bullet shortages ...I can make any bullet and all the bullets I want and can honestly say have never experienced a bullet shortage .
    After the little 2013 experience I have a lifetime supply of cases, powder and primers put away .
    With the cost of a Lee 2 cavity mould only being $24.99 ...what's to stop a shooter from not having a mould ...even in rifles a lot of men and game has dropped to a cast lead bullet .
    Gary

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Without cast boolits my family and I would not have had many a shooting trip.
    And the kids my kids knew would never had enjoyed range trips
    Reloading free brass, with free lead self casting all we needed and cheap primers

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    Slug your barrel and order lead bullets that are at least 0.001" larger than groove diameter. You do no need HARD alloy, 13BHN is more than hard enough. Even use it in rifles with gas checks. Lead and jacketed bullets are very accurate.

Top Bottom