Heads Up

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    hmmmm

Attachments

• 678865D1-0CEE-4435-9AC7-3D41A10B0464.jpeg
      678865D1-0CEE-4435-9AC7-3D41A10B0464.jpeg
      10.8 KB · Views: 76
    • 96B9F48D-471C-4DAA-A1D5-45CE403BB97D.jpeg
      96B9F48D-471C-4DAA-A1D5-45CE403BB97D.jpeg
      11.4 KB · Views: 88
    • BE6E2E0F-A5A4-4142-8FD6-346A53B75C9E.jpeg
      BE6E2E0F-A5A4-4142-8FD6-346A53B75C9E.jpeg
      12.1 KB · Views: 84

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Settle down ,its just a discussion.lol..

And Ill admit I was wrong about the exact laws.

Your incorrectness went beyond what you seem to be claiming. You said there was a law that restricted the number of items that could be bought in a certain time frame. It's not like you got the number of items wrong or you picked the wrong time frame. You weren't wrong about the exact law, you were wrong about any such law existing. You made a claim but the reality is almost as opposite as you can get from that claim.

SO federal law says if you buy more than 2,then you have to fill out a form and you will be
    reported to the atf and other agency's.

Your implication here is that you, as the buyer, must fill out a "multiple sale" form if you but more than 2. Even with the answer below, you still got this wrong. The buyer doesn't fill out the form.

My point is,the way the author of this thread stated,people were buying lotssss of lowers
    and selling full rifles for a profit without a biz License? correct.

I proved that by federal and sate laws,that would be very hard to do ,considering of the
    issues related to the school killings and other mass killings.Basically,it has become a lot
    harder to do what the author suggested.I'm on the phone now with one of my local FFL's

Points.......
    Federal law defines a *multiple sale* as the sale of two or more guns to the same purchaser within five business days.3 Multiple sales are a significant indicator of firearms trafficking, and firearms sold in such sales are frequently recovered at crime scenes.

Laws limiting multiple sales can help to reduce gun trafficking. After Virginia introduced its one-gun-a-month law, there was a significant reduction in the number of crime guns recovered outside the state and traced back to Virginia dealers.7

Federal law does not limit the number of guns a person may buy in any given time period. However, federal law does require federal firearm licensees (*FFLs*) to report multiple sales of handguns to ATF and other specified law enforcement agencies.9 This reporting requirement was created to enable law enforcement to *monitor and deter illegal interstate commerce in pistols and revolvers by unlicensed persons,

FFLs who are dealers or pawnbrokers must report to ATF whenever they sell or transfer two or more such weapons to the same person at one time or during any five consecutive business days.14

- - - Updated - - -

Actually there is a Tesla in an elliptical orbit around the sun as we speak.

I was going to use a car in my example but didn't because of the Tesla.

rugrat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Louisiana
    Your incorrectness went beyond what you seem to be claiming. You said there was a law that restricted the number of items that could be bought in a certain time frame. It's not like you got the number of items wrong or you picked the wrong time frame. You weren't wrong about the exact law, you were wrong about any such law existing. You made a claim but the reality is almost as opposite as you can get from that claim.

Your implication here is that you, as the buyer, must fill out a "multiple sale" form if you but more than 2. Even with the answer below, you still got this wrong. The buyer doesn't fill out the form.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to use a car in my example but didn't because of the Tesla.

I would like to see more info on the Tesla orbit.

Last edited:

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    I am just going to say that many, many, ffls dont really know what the laws realy are! One of them actually told me that an unlicensed person can not ship a long arm firearm to an ffl and that the individual had to ship it through an ffl to them which is total BS!

Obviously. A couple of years ago I had a rather unique double barrel shotgun jam. It was a sliding breech Darne and not many people know about them much less can work on them. Fortunately I found an expert who quickly took care of the problem, actually machining a small part that had broken. I was concerned about shipping and he said no problem wrap it and box it well, insure well as it was a very expensive gun and ship to him and he would ship directly back to me via USPS. I did that and no problem. I also have a federal C&R license and have had a couple of long guns delivered to me via USPS and a handgun by UPS. I never had to ship a handgun but know I should use UPS or FedEx.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    prove me wrong.Call yr local FFl....I cant rem if its 2 a month or 2 at a time a month.
    It is something to that effect.I know,because my friend purchased many manyyyy
    lowers to just share with friends more less.He went to the same FFL 2 months ago
    and he told him,I don't think so,can only purchase 2 period.So 6-8 FFLs are wrong
    or you just havent found the exact statute on it.

If Im wrong,ill admit it,until that time comes,carry on soldier lol

Dead wrong. I once purchased 6 Anderson stripped lower receivers, one internet order, one transaction, one local FFL visit, in Louisiana. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago. Oh and I don't have any federal license, FFL or SOT. And he only charged me $25 for the transfer, all six.

You cannot post a hyperlink to a law preventing such because it doesn't exist, least not in Louisiana.

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    So , lets run a hypothetical scenario.

Say a fictitious character, we'll call him Boe Jiden, did a bunch of research and decided that the ar platform was what he wanted to use. He then did a bunch more research and decided that building (assembling) an ar was going to be the most cost and time conscious way to get all of the features that he desired. And then he also decided to build 6 identical rifles, as he has 6 places that he wants to have access to said guns. Keep in mind he has neever held or shot an ar rifle. He just decided it was a good idea.

So he gets them all built and then goes out to train with them. He finds that due to some sort of unseen circumstance that he much prefers bolt action scout style rifles in 375 ruger. So he now has no need of the 6 ar rifles. And he would like to sell them on to fund the purchase of 6 identical scout style rifles in 375 ruger.

He certainly built (assembled) them, and he certainly bought all of the parts via legal channels, including the lower receivers.

Is it ok for him to sell them, his reasoning behind the sale being solely that he changed his mind?

Or??? Is it illegal for him to "change his mind"?

Just wondering...

Always seemed weird that there are these cautious statements of not "manufacturing firearms for sale". There is a mighty good chance that when I die my remaining family will sell on the guns that I have built (and bought). Maybe not all but likely most. Since I am not "forever" my ownership of any item is not "forever" either...

So if I built a few guns a few months ago and decided that due to increasing prices and demand that I would move them on so that I could buy other items that better suit my changing tastes, would I be at fault? Or if I sold them at my cost would it be ok? If I sold at going rate, but donated the profits to Antifa would it be ok?

Seems like there are a bunch of holes in this, and the wording is not really good enough to differentiate between an average Joe selling some belongings and someone actively trying to skirt the ffl laws.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    So , lets run a hypothetical scenario.

Say a fictitious character, we'll call him Boe Jiden, did a bunch of research and decided that the ar platform was what he wanted to use. He then did a bunch more research and decided that building (assembling) an ar was going to be the most cost and time conscious way to get all of the features that he desired. And then he also decided to build 6 identical rifles, as he has 6 places that he wants to have access to said guns. Keep in mind he has neever held or shot an ar rifle. He just decided it was a good idea.

So he gets them all built and then goes out to train with them. He finds that due to some sort of unseen circumstance that he much prefers bolt action scout style rifles in 375 ruger. So he now has no need of the 6 ar rifles. And he would like to sell them on to fund the purchase of 6 identical scout style rifles in 375 ruger.

He certainly built (assembled) them, and he certainly bought all of the parts via legal channels, including the lower receivers.

Is it ok for him to sell them, his reasoning behind the sale being solely that he changed his mind?

Or??? Is it illegal for him to "change his mind"?

Just wondering...

Always seemed weird that there are these cautious statements of not "manufacturing firearms for sale". There is a mighty good chance that when I die my remaining family will sell on the guns that I have built (and bought). Maybe not all but likely most. Since I am not "forever" my ownership of any item is not "forever" either...

So if I built a few guns a few months ago and decided that due to increasing prices and demand that I would move them on so that I could buy other items that better suit my changing tastes, would I be at fault? Or if I sold them at my cost would it be ok? If I sold at going rate, but donated the profits to Antifa would it be ok?

Seems like there are a bunch of holes in this, and the wording is not really good enough to differentiate between an average Joe selling some belongings and someone actively trying to skirt the ffl laws.

Well if you’re Joe it’s ok. No need to ponder the legalities. You’re the chosen class.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

If you're repeatedly building and selling, it's difficult to fault a reasonable person for seeing your activity as manufacturing. If you build and buy once or twice, it's much easier to articulate how you just changed your mind.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell

I read that entire article and m still not any wiser about why it is illegal to sell more than 500 dollars of rabbits a year. Must be tied to some other law that reflects the breeders in some way. It would be handy if that article had covered that. Another badly written piece of crap, journalists should be reprimanded for that.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I read that entire article and m still not any wiser about why it is illegal to sell more than 500 dollars of rabbits a year. Must be tied to some other law that reflects the breeders in some way. It would be handy if that article had covered that. Another badly written piece of crap, journalists should be reprimanded for that.

its an fda/usda regulation. something about needing a inspector over a certain amount as rabbits are food/livestock, not pets.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If you wanna build and sell you can build AR uppers ready to roll, any length barrel, all day long and sell as many as you want to anyone you want and still be perfectly legit in the eyes of the ATF. Just don’t sell any lowers. So there.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you wanna build and sell you can build AR uppers ready to roll, any length barrel, all day long and sell as many as you want to anyone you want and still be perfectly legit in the eyes of the law. Just don’t sell any lowers. So there.

Good luck. Building uppers is still gunsmithing and if you sell enough, you would be required to acquire a business license and file taxes. Of course, you could do such things under the table, but discussing it on a public forum is pretty stupid.

I recall a shop in Covington doing this that was shut down.

Top Bottom