Join BayouShooter For Free
Meplat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Need glock help. Glock 20: Gen 3 or Gen 4?

So I wanted to have another double stack pistol in 10 auto and have a choice of gen 3 or 4 Glock 20. $50 difference in price and I’m assuming the 4 is the way to go but don’t have any other reason except that it’s the latest model.
    Can anyone tell me of any advantage either way? Aftermarket availability on later models can be iffy, which may influence my decision. I definitely see myself playing with different op springs and definitely a trigger upgrade.
    Any real world info appreciated.
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

3rd gen is my preference. I believe it is the point of diminishing return for Glocks.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Many prefer the Gen 4 pistols due to the improved dual recoil spring, better grip texture, different grip sizes, and ambidextrous mag catch.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

*admittedly I grind off the finger grooves in favor of having the grip textured and am unconcerned with ambi

** with the 10mm I was specifically thinking the dual recoil spring may or may not be an improvement but that the single spring had a track record and is easier to tune to your load with Wolff springs and aftermarket rods is/as necessary

Not Banned!!!

User Info Menu

If 3rd gen it has to be a SF model

4th gen has better grip feel stock (subjective of course)

Do you plan to mod it?
    "These Rocky Mountains aren't very rocky. Yeah, that John Denver is full of SH**!"

On Target

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    Many prefer the Gen 4 pistols due to the improved dual recoil spring, better grip texture, different grip sizes, and ambidextrous mag catch.

I own 6 glock 10mm...3 g29's and 2 g20c and 1 g4 g20.

The above staement is 100% true dat....

Donít troll me bro!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdindadell View Post
    If 3rd gen it has to be a SF model

4th gen has better grip feel stock (subjective of course)

Do you plan to mod it?
    Not really planning to mod it, but I am expecting to have to potentially tune it for reliability. I’m reading a few disheartening threads on forums about reliability issues primarily with the gen 4. As I understand it, that model has a different spring set up, a captured twin spring design, so I’m not sure about aftermarket springs being available or if anything intended for the gen 3 will work.
    It also does look like the gen 3 SF is the preferred model for reliability. Some say short frame, some say slim frame, I’m guessing it’s the latter. I don’t expect the deal to be available long so I ordered the gen 3 SF today.

Thanks for all the quick input guys!
    Doesnít play well with TROLLS...

_________

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pangris1 View Post
    and is easier to tune to your load with Wolff springs and aftermarket rods is/as necessary
    You can use Gen 3 single springs in a Gen 4 with an adapter. It's common practice.

Marksman

User Info Menu

The gen 3 grip felt like a brick in my hand. The gen 4 was much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Magdump View Post
    Not really planning to mod it, but I am expecting to have to potentially tune it for reliability. I’m reading a few disheartening threads on forums about reliability issues primarily with the gen 4.
    I have several Glocks in each of the three current generations (3, 4 and 5), with tens of thousands of rounds through them. I've never had a single issue with my Gen 4 guns, and they're all bone stock. I would be wary of these "reliability" complaints; I suspect these are people looking to "justify" the purchase of various farkles for their gun.

That said, I prefer the ergonomics of the gen 4 the best. But I think that's just a function of my body geometry.

Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.