Need glock help. Glock 20: Gen 3 or Gen 4?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    So I wanted to have another double stack pistol in 10 auto and have a choice of gen 3 or 4 Glock 20. $50 difference in price and I’m assuming the 4 is the way to go but don’t have any other reason except that it’s the latest model.
    Can anyone tell me of any advantage either way? Aftermarket availability on later models can be iffy, which may influence my decision. I definitely see myself playing with different op springs and definitely a trigger upgrade.
    Any real world info appreciated.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Many prefer the Gen 4 pistols due to the improved dual recoil spring, better grip texture, different grip sizes, and ambidextrous mag catch.

pangris1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    BR metro area
    *admittedly I grind off the finger grooves in favor of having the grip textured and am unconcerned with ambi

** with the 10mm I was specifically thinking the dual recoil spring may or may not be an improvement but that the single spring had a track record and is easier to tune to your load with Wolff springs and aftermarket rods is/as necessary

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    If 3rd gen it has to be a SF model

4th gen has better grip feel stock (subjective of course)

Do you plan to mod it?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If 3rd gen it has to be a SF model

4th gen has better grip feel stock (subjective of course)

Do you plan to mod it?
    Not really planning to mod it, but I am expecting to have to potentially tune it for reliability. I’m reading a few disheartening threads on forums about reliability issues primarily with the gen 4. As I understand it, that model has a different spring set up, a captured twin spring design, so I’m not sure about aftermarket springs being available or if anything intended for the gen 3 will work.
    It also does look like the gen 3 SF is the preferred model for reliability. Some say short frame, some say slim frame, I’m guessing it’s the latter. I don’t expect the deal to be available long so I ordered the gen 3 SF today.

Thanks for all the quick input guys!

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Not really planning to mod it, but I am expecting to have to potentially tune it for reliability. I’m reading a few disheartening threads on forums about reliability issues primarily with the gen 4.

I have several Glocks in each of the three current generations (3, 4 and 5), with tens of thousands of rounds through them. I've never had a single issue with my Gen 4 guns, and they're all bone stock. I would be wary of these "reliability" complaints; I suspect these are people looking to "justify" the purchase of various farkles for their gun.

That said, I prefer the ergonomics of the gen 4 the best. But I think that's just a function of my body geometry.

Mike

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have several Glocks in each of the three current generations (3, 4 and 5), with tens of thousands of rounds through them. I've never had a single issue with my Gen 4 guns, and they're all bone stock. I would be wary of these "reliability" complaints; I suspect these are people looking to "justify" the purchase of various farkles for their gun.

That said, I prefer the ergonomics of the gen 4 the best. But I think that's just a function of my body geometry.

Mike
    Do you have a gen 4 in 10mm auto?
    The FTF complaints are pretty numerous on the net and it seems to be a pretty common complaint, so I am being wary. Lot of talk about being ammo finicky as well.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Do you have a gen 4 in 10mm auto?
    The FTF complaints are pretty numerous on the net and it seems to be a pretty common complaint, so I am being wary. Lot of talk about being ammo finicky as well.

No, sorry. For whatever reason the 10mm part of your post didn't register in my noodle.

I had a gen 3 10mm for some time, but it would eat whatever it was fed without complaint. Ditto for my Colt Delta Elite, which has weirdly become one of my favorite guns.

Mike

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I have a Gen4 in 10mm.
    Like the grip size much better than the Gen3.
    It’s thinner and narrower; just fits my hand better.
    If you want a bigger grip, use the backstraps.
    Never had a reliability issue and mine is all stock.

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    if i had my choice, i would pick the gen 4 due to the ambi mag catch. i prefer a left hand mag release, because i prefer to use my trigger finger to eject the magazine, rather than the repositioning of my hand required to use my thumb. the gen 4/5 texture is also better in my opinion than the gen 3. having carried a g-22 gen 3 model for 15 years, i found it got a little slippery with wet, sweaty hands.

Eagle Eyes

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2020
    Ruston
    Had a gen 3 sf 29 and several gen4‘s. I prefer the gen 4‘s. No malfunctions with my glocks. Reliable like advertised....perfection. Lol. But seriously, If it were me, I’d buy the gen 4

also. I hear the gen 5 10mms are in the works.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I agree with the choice of Gen 3. I will admit that I feel that way because all of my Glocks are Gen 3 and before. I simply have not had the urge to buy Gen 4 or 5 yet. My Gen 2 G20 has never malfunctioned. Old FBI target rounds(felt almost like a .22), the old 175gr Sivertips, 180gr FMJ, and a variety of loads from Corbon and Buffalo Bore all worked well.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom