Case lube?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Howdy all! So im getting into reloading, ive got all the gear except I cant find any case lube. I see DIY lubes made with lanolin, but again I cant seem to locate any lanolin oil locally. Question, could I use the saddle conditioner from tractor supply? It says its lanolin and silicone. Any other things I could use in place of store bought lube? I will order some but would like to get to practicing in the mean time. Thanks and I hope everyone is doing well!

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    ....oh I see

fa3d8996d7309d6e17ffcb2b04831862.jpg

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    checked academy and bass pro, no case lube to be found. I did find some 99% alcohol and a bottle of castor oil. what is the ratio for castor oil?

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I’ll pay It forward
    Take a ride to Prairieville and I’ll leave you a tub of hornady unique lube in my mailbox for you
    Sending pm

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Dillon type but I made my own from Alky and Lanolin as that is what the one they sell is

DH Vidrine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    There is no need to mix the castor oil with anything. Apply a thin film of castor oil to each case by soaking a cloth patch and tumble the cases with it in a plastic bowl. Keep it simple.

JCBuilt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    Covington, LA
    I am new to reloading and learning what to do. Do you need to lube cases when reloading? If so, do you need to clean off lube? Would it affect the powder if it goes inside the brass casing?

Plinkin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2020
    Houma
    I am new to reloading and learning what to do. Do you need to lube cases when reloading? If so, do you need to clean off lube? Would it affect the powder if it goes inside the brass casing?

Lube the outside of bottleneck cases. Lanolin or wax lubes shouldn't harm the function of the powder, but you can apply by shaking in a bag or rolling in a loaded pad to avoid getting it in the case anyway.

EightySix

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Howdy all! So im getting into reloading, ive got all the gear except I cant find any case lube. I see DIY lubes made with lanolin, but again I cant seem to locate any lanolin oil locally. Question, could I use the saddle conditioner from tractor supply? It says its lanolin and silicone. Any other things I could use in place of store bought lube? I will order some but would like to get to practicing in the mean time. Thanks and I hope everyone is doing well!

If you want to drive to Hammond, I can hook you up with some lanolin if you want to make up a DIY batch. All you would need is a bottle of ISO-HEET (red bottle) and a small spray bottle. I think the mixture is 12:1. PM if interested

This is the stuff I bought and it works great.
    https://www.amazon.com/Now-Foods-So...hild=1&keywords=lanolin&qid=1597855972&sr=8-7

Last edited:

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    Way back in the early 60's I was taught to use the old STP oil treatment. It was messy but worked well. I gravitated through several products over the years and finally settled on Imperial sizing wax. now Imperial Redding die sizing wax.

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    if i am not mistaken, the only part of the process which requires case lube is the sizing step of necked rifle cases. generally speaking pistol cases are sized using carbide dies. so wouldn't the prudent thing be to size the cases and then send them through the media for cleaning and polishing? if reloading rifle, i prefer to use a single station press. size and decap, clean the cases, prime, charge, and seat the bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom