Mayhaw Jelly & Biscuits

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA

Warmed a couple of biscuits this morning added some butter and mayhaw jelly.

50244903782_91b14fee26_b.jpg

50244903582_f2e8687593_b.jpg

An old guy I used to hunt with in Angie introduced me to mayhaw jelly. I love that stuff!!! He used to make it and give me some as well as cook big breakfasts and of course biscuits and mayhaw jelly were always on the table. We used to pick mayhaw berries in the swamp and he'd make the jelly.
    He's passed away since and we lost the lease there. I bet many see mayhaw trees in the woods and don't know what they are. Remind me of cranberries.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    my wife and i along with our 3 boys go get mayhaw berrys every year and my wife makes jelly with it, you right it is some good stuff.. we go in the swamp by boat i have a few spots i know of.... Yea they are like cranberrys, usually bring a big push pole and knock them off the bush and let kids scoop them up with the nets.. easy pickings... there is a pretty small window of when they are ripe vs when the animals start eating all of them lol, they can wipe a bush out in a day or so

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    My wife makes Muscadine, Mayhaw, Strawberry, Blackberry, Plum Jelly for our consumption each year.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Mayhaw Jelly & Biscuits

Male Muscadines don’t bear fruit, only the females. Unfortunately the males far outweigh females. Those are mainly what you see in the woods everywhere. If you are lucky enough to find a female it is usually loaded beyond belief. You have to use your nose to find them in the woods when they are blooming and keep checking. Like wild persimmons and crabapples, they draw every kritter for miles around and they will be long cleaned out if you time it wrong.

Edited to mention that elderberry grows around Folsom and Franklinton. Doesn’t get much love but really really good too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    The muscadines in the wild also usually are up high. They only grow produce on new growth which is trying to reach the sun. Wild ones are so much stronger and sweeter. I’m going to flag the ones I’ve found making this year and transplant and train it on a trellace like my hybrids. Should really bring my jelly to the next level in a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gautreaux
    Top Bottom