What is MIL-SPEC?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/mil-s...b45sJmWTLZp8DLPESoRiJg6Jqclu01AFPYX4i6imi_hXM

January 7, 2020 by Stephanie Martz

“MIL-SPEC equals lowest bidder” … “Military issued? I don’t want it”. There are a large amount of people within the firearms community who express these sentiments, without fully understanding what they are saying. They do this as a way to immediately denigrate and dismiss a firearm or piece of equipment.

xolNQbX_d.jpg.webp

The most recent time these sayings have come out is with Sig Sauer releasing the M17 military surplus commercially. Many online immediately discounted the pistol due to the simple fact that it was issued to the military.

These commenters had no knowledge of how long, and how often they were used. More importantly, they likely had no idea of maintenance schedule, nor any of the things that actually indicate a firearms’ quality.

On some level, I understand the sentiment. We see the HWMMV’s break down, we see weapons have malfunctions, and we see old night vision equipment have issues. Yet, what we don’t see is that operator of that broken down truck neglected to check the oil. Meanwhile, yet another operator just finished running his identical truck for three days straight without issue. We also don’t hear about the M2A1 .50 calibers that fire in -20 degree weather because they have been provided correct lubricant and care, or the Beretta M9s that fired 15,000 rounds before the locking block finally broke.

My point is, any piece of equipment needs a knowledgeable operator, as well as someone to maintain it. In the military, we find that some over-clean, and on the opposite side of the spectrum, there are some who never clean. They certainly don’t inspect often enough, and they definitely don’t write up their bad parts for replacement or repair.

Because we tend to focus on the negative, today I believe that many of the people who are using the term MIL-SPEC as a pejorative, simply don’t understand what MIL-SPEC really means. Nor do they understand all that goes into the military’s acquisition process.

What does MIL-SPEC really mean?

So, just what does MIL-SPEC really mean? Simply put, it means that there is a standard in place. In this case, a military standard (MIL-STD) or military specification (MIL-SPEC) acts as a way to ensure consistent reliability across a multitude of equipment.

Everything has a standard, even magazine pouches. The cleaner, lubricant, and preservative (CLP) we use states “MIL-PRF” on it, which means it’s a “performance specification.”

The largest standard that we see within the AR world is known as the TDP, or “Technical Data Package.” The TDP was something created by Colt which states proprietary information on their rifles. This means size of gas port, length of springs, etc. This TDP became THE standard.

Will Larson was renowned for teaching TDP, which is why so many loved him and Semper Paratus Arms courses. He taught about what kind of weapons you could trust and why.

42894415_1400365876764740_6106015302321963008_o.jpg.webp

Since the TDP was first bought by the Army in 1967, enough information has gotten out so that many AR part manufacturers now follow it. In order for them to do so, it does require good manufacturing equipment, and the funds to keep their equipment running at a high level.

Colt went so far to honor the standard that they made sure to replace machine equipment parts at regular intervals to ensure every firearm component was cut correctly. Colt did this because they had contracts to uphold. As such, they needed good quality assurance on the AR parts they manufactured.

cutaway-1.jpg.webp

On the flip side, it’s important to understand there are manufacturers in the marketplace who don’t seek to keep or maintain a basic standard of quality. It’s an unfortunate fact that some manufacturers skimp on their parts. Often these subpar parts find their way back to the manufacturer as returns…They are sent back because a company did not want to use them.

Do you know what happens to those substandard parts, though? As it turns out, they are not put in the dumpster. Instead, that manufacturer will offer these subpar parts to other less demanding companies who will buy them, and then turn around and sell them to end users cheaply.

P1150977.jpg.webp

This is unfortunate, as buying quality parts matters. Standards matter. Over and over again, I’ve seen how build quality matters, even on something as small as a selector spring detent. There are detents going around that have a flat tip that seats in the selector, instead of a pointed tip.

When someone searches online if this is acceptable, they will quickly learn that Colt’s detent features a pointed tip, and it does so for good reasons. Colt trued their weapons, which is why they are so highly relied on…yet there are still parts out there being used which do not meet standards, and can easily degrade and cause malfunctions to the weapon system.

Research and Development

People who have negative opinions of MIL-SPEC and of the firearms that are used by the military also do not always seem to grasp the amount of work that went into ensuring that the weapon is viable. The fact of the matter is that very contract put out by the military to be fulfilled has very specific specifications that must be met. It can be anything from the length of the flash hider, to the amount of rounds fired without a malfunction.

Companies go to great lengths to create a weapon that falls into the specified categories and wins the contract. A lot of time and money goes into the research and development of said weapon. Much effort and funds also goes into demonstrating the weapon’s performance, and then making absolutely sure that performance is maintained.

Finally, when a new piece of equipment is issued, there will be classes given to both operators and maintainers on how to operate and care for that piece of equipment. There are also things called “Modification Work Orders” (MWO). These come out throughout that piece of equipment’s life as new parts are released that can help the performance of the weapon.

In all my experiences with military issued weapons, I have seen firsthand how beaten and trashed our equipment can get in the military. It is used roughly and often. I have also seen firsthand though, how reliable it can still be if properly maintained. The bottom line is I have no problem gaining a firearm that has been so trued and maintained like they do in the military.

The first few years working full time for the Minnesota Army National Guard, I was able to see every unit within the state, and witness first hand how poorly some weapons were maintained. However, after by visiting each unit once a year, doing preventative maintenance, and also instructing each unit on where they were lacking, we soon saw the condition of the equipment dramatically improve.

Military issued equipment means that there is a standard, and if that standard is maintained, it will save operators lives, just like your individual weapon could save yours or your loved ones.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    see what he says at 1:11

Mike does a really good job of explaining why and what matters.

PSA is a great example of Mil-Spec.

Sarcasm doesn’t translate well through text, so if you’re being serious, I can tell you that PSA and DC Machine’s deviations from the Milspec materials alone are enough to say that they are not a great example.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    For me it's a bang wagon that people jump on. It sells. Just like when people but "billet" into a description.

It's undoubtedly used as a buzzword for sales, but it does have meaning. Unfortunately, those using it as a buzzword typically don't meet Milspec to begin with.

As far as those using Billet in a description, I would hope the part is actually from a Billet and they are not just using it to say they machined the part. There are more than a few companies that have parts cut from Billet Aluminum and Billet Steel.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Mike does a really good job of explaining why and what matters.

Sarcasm doesn’t translate well through text, so if you’re being serious, I can tell you that PSA and DC Machine’s deviations from the Milspec materials alone are enough to say that they are not a great example.

Yes definitely sarcasm. How about DD Mil-Spec plus?

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    So... Is there an actual mil-spec for the semi auto trigger that is std in most ar-15s?

I see triggers sold that way all of the time, but I am not sure if any of the army procured m16 family of weapons has a semi auto only trigger setup?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So... Is there an actual mil-spec for the semi auto trigger that is std in most ar-15s?

I see triggers sold that way all of the time, but I am not sure if any of the army procured m16 family of weapons has a semi auto only trigger setup?

Eh... sort of. Since a semi auto fire control group doesn't have as many components as a full auto fire control group, the semi auto FCG only shares some of the components and dimensions. Obviously, full auto triggers and disconnectors have differing dimensions due to differing features, but the hammers, pins, and springs are similar. Mil-spec was more or less Colt-Spec at one point (and has changed a few times since then), but Colt also made civilian consumer market semi-automatic AR-15's and most of those components are used as the design basis for modern semi-automatic parts.

trigger.gif

disconnector.gif

hammer.gif

selector.gif

aboatguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    I did a little more than thirty years in the NAVY, In my experience MIL SPEC is short hand for lowest bidder to a standard... Just saying...everything we used parachutes, firearms, boats, planes ammo etc et al, someone had something better but it cost more money. However, perfection is the enemy of good enough and I walked/swam away from most of my parachute landings, 99.9% of the time my weapons went PEW and the boats ran and stayed afloat more often than not ; so I guess every thing was good enough.

Last edited:

rdass623

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    new orleans
    generally mil-spec is a bit over used. some criteria like corrosion resistance, or the hardness of anodizing meet the criteria set for the military specifications for their contract purchase are met by a manufacturer, so they call it mil-spec.... there are certain parts on an ar-15 for example which might be mil-spec the barrel, receiver, pistol grip, etc. but there are some parts which are completely different, like the fire control group. sometimes the FCG might be called mil-spec because the same quality steel, heat threating and finish are used, but all of the military specifications have not been met... generally speaking mil-spec is a loosely used term which has many non specific meanings...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    And what about the term TACTICAL? Anybody know what criteria has to be met for something to be deemed tactical? Because in the realm of overused terms, I’m thinking TACTICAL beats MIL SPEC hands down...

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    And what about the term TACTICAL? Anybody know what criteria has to be met for something to be deemed tactical? Because in the realm of overused terms, I’m thinking TACTICAL beats MIL SPEC hands down...

I would agree that both are used as marketing buzzwords by lesser quality manufacturers to sell items.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    generally mil-spec is a bit over used. some criteria like corrosion resistance, or the hardness of anodizing meet the criteria set for the military specifications for their contract purchase are met by a manufacturer, so they call it mil-spec.... there are certain parts on an ar-15 for example which might be mil-spec the barrel, receiver, pistol grip, etc. but there are some parts which are completely different, like the fire control group. sometimes the FCG might be called mil-spec because the same quality steel, heat threating and finish are used, but all of the military specifications have not been met... generally speaking mil-spec is a loosely used term which has many non specific meanings...

There is a lot that goes into what is actually "mil-spec." That's why the TDP is literally a Technical Data Package. The TM is only one bit of that package. There are many things that are outlined in the TDP: dimensions, materials, coatings, and assembly to name a few.

A company claiming to make a "milspec" carbine that uses a 6061 receiver extension installed with blue loctite is lying to the consumer. Granted, consumer rifles will never be "milspec," but the important components should at minimum meet the TDP specifications. As another example, there is only one company that I know of using a 9310 bolt that isn't complete garbage, yet every cheapo gun under the sun uses them.

Top Bottom