Two Hurricanes One Gulf

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Dave Ol Buddy 8 gauge is larger than 10 gauge and can carry more......

I'm aware. It can carry up to 40 Amps, which I don't need.

Edit -

From doing more research, the maximum amperage can vary depending on a few factors. I really didn't intend for this to be an electrical discussion. I am not an electrician and I do not believe those who have commented thus far are either. I was simply asking about interlocks and apologize for using the term redneck.

Carry on, folks.

Last edited:

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    From my research, I would need to have 10ga to support 30A. If there is anything I’ve learned in the oil-field, there are a lot of people that cut corners.

I have no plans to purchase anything currently.
    I've got a whole house unit I picked up on a brother in-law deal and a proper Kohler transfer switch. It's an 11 kw but makes about 9.5 kw on natural gas. Does a scheduled test run once a week and everything. It was about $300 at the time. Biggest thing was I installed a bigger start capacitor on my a/c to keep the inrush from bogging the genset. I over did the wiring, used 6 gauge, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't the weak point when I knew the a/c starting amps were close.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Man, You never know Ol Buddy,You could very well end up with a 40amp diesel unit to run the whole masion?

That would be the snizzle there! Mama would approve !

All you have to do is let her sweat her boobs off one time and she's like GO get me a generator now !

40 amps will not run the house if you plan on running your whole house central cooling system. Double that, unless you live in a 600 sq ft house.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I'm aware. It can carry up to 40 Amps, which I don't need.

Edit -

From doing more research, the maximum amperage can vary depending on a few factors. I really didn't intend for this to be an electrical discussion. I am not an electrician and I do not believe those who have commented thus far are either. I was simply asking about interlocks and apologize for using the term redneck.

Carry on, folks.

Apologize? WTH Ol Bud,you getting soft in you're old age?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've got a whole house unit I picked up on a brother in-law deal and a proper Kohler transfer switch. It's an 11 kw but makes about 9.5 kw on natural gas. Does a scheduled test run once a week and everything. It was about $300 at the time. Biggest thing was I installed a bigger start capacitor on my a/c to keep the inrush from bogging the genset. I over did the wiring, used 6 gauge, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't the weak point when I knew the a/c starting amps were close.

I'm surprised a standalone unit can run over 10 kW. I don't have access to natural gas and the cost of installing a tank was way higher than I'm willing to spend for something I might use once a year. My neighbor's house was built long before mine, but he was wise enough to have the tank and Generac installed when the home was being built. In his case, he needs the generator due to medicine in the fridge. I would just like to be able to run the refrigerator/freezer and maybe some fans. I don't need to run the AC unit or anything like that. Both the transfer switch and the interlock pass code (to my knowledge), but I don't plan to run a generator large enough to warrant a transfer switch.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    Just saw a whole bunch of people on TV filling sandbags from a big pile of sand in the heat. All wearing masks. Wonder how many are passing flat out cold before they fill one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    40 amps will not run the house if you plan on running your whole house central cooling system. Double that, unless you live in a 600 sq ft house.

For what I'm planning to run, I may be able to get away with a small 2000 watt Honda generator. Running the AC unit was never something I really thought about, unless I decided to get something like a Generac standalone unit.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    For what I'm planning to run, I may be able to get away with a small 2000 watt Honda generator. Running the AC unit was never something I really thought about, unless I decided to get something like a Generac standalone unit.

Well you have good taste if you're getting a Honda,The little 2000 are tough machines.

I have the 3500 Honda at the camp as back-up

At the maison its a Tri-fuel 15 hp Briggs,Thinking its around 8750 running watts, I'd have to go pull it out to double check but sounds about right for the 15 hp

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

I purchased a 3000 watt Craftsman portable a couple months ago. My idea was to keep my fridge running and a fan for me and maybe a light. The unit is super quiet, the only drawback is the fuel tank is 1.2 gallons so every 3 or 4 hours to refill. I have natural gas service and would really like to do that, no storing/hauling gas. I got a quote for whole house a couple years ago by a firm in Covington and installed it was like $10k.

Searching you can purchase on line a 8 kw nat gas fueled perm install Kolher for about $2800 delivered. I have been researching the install and think I could do it with a little help. The elect service in Hammond is so fragile, about 6-8 outages annually. The longest has been approx 26 hours but most are < 6 hours. I lived in Laplace for 35 years and the power might go out once or twice a year tops.

For now I'm gonna try the portable and haul fuel for a major outage (hurricane), or an outage > 12 hours. I have 18 gallons stored in cans with Stabil.

A permanent whole house would be really nice but I just cannot justify it just for me @ this time. One of my neighbors has one, perm whole house.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Kolher 8 KW with auto switchgear included. Another $300 for a pre made concrete slab to go with it. The have larger units too. Pretty good prices.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirec...rect.com/power/kohler-standby-generators.html

Kolher is a good name in gen sets. My neighbor had a Generac and they were not really happy with it. Too many issues.

Add in another $1000-1500 for wire, conduit, and fasteners, for the self install.

Last edited:

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    Had to use the portable generators last week due to extended overnight power outage.

We’ve got a 6500 / 8000 (running / starting) running a small residence and the well pump via a 30amp twist-lock that ties into the panel. Covers everything but the AC. It’s nice to only run 1 heavy cable.

Also have a 7500 / 9400 running a couple fridges, lights, fans, portable AC, etc. in other house. This one requires running a few extension cords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have Gas Oven, Range Top, Water Heater, Furnace so just need 220 for A/C so can use a smaller size gen-set and run whole home less A/C. And can run all the 110 in the whole home and have ceiling fans in all the rooms. So it is notn bad.
    Have one with 8HP Briggs Iron Sleeve Old School since 1992 Is not broke so don't fix it comes into play for me. I feed it from barrels with gas that is stored with Sta-Bil in it with a pump. And have it safety hooked to the home with one of these when needed
    https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schneider-Electric-QO1DM10030TRBR-Twist-lock/dp/B00CONM68K
    Would like a smaller NG whole home one day that would do it all with and Auto Transfer Switch.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I purchased a 3000 watt Craftsman portable a couple months ago. My idea was to keep my fridge running and a fan for me and maybe a light. The unit is super quiet, the only drawback is the fuel tank is 1.2 gallons so every 3 or 4 hours to refill. I have natural gas service and would really like to do that, no storing/hauling gas. I got a quote for whole house a couple years ago by a firm in Covington and installed it was like $10k.

Searching you can purchase on line a 8 kw nat gas fueled perm install Kolher for about $2800 delivered. I have been researching the install and think I could do it with a little help. The elect service in Hammond is so fragile, about 6-8 outages annually. The longest has been approx 26 hours but most are < 6 hours. I lived in Laplace for 35 years and the power might go out once or twice a year tops.

For now I'm gonna try the portable and haul fuel for a major outage (hurricane), or an outage > 12 hours. I have 18 gallons stored in cans with Stabil.

A permanent whole house would be really nice but I just cannot justify it just for me @ this time. One of my neighbors has one, perm whole house.

I ran a Honda 1000 watt generator in the past. It is relatively quiet, but it's similar in that the gas tank is incredibly small. It must be filled up often, but it was adequate to power the refrigerator some fans and surprisingly the modem and router for interwebs.

Joe504

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Who's hosting the hurricane casting party?
    I'll bring some lead :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Dave I have the switch on the outside to hook up a generator to the house. Don't know much about it and never used it. Installed by a trusted, licensed electrician. Like you, I wanted it to be safe. Only know that I would have to turn A/C to off and no laundry/dishwasher, but the 5500 generator would do the lights, internet/TV, and run the fridge.

I'm thinking about selling the 5500 now because I know have a Generac 20kw on natural gas that runs everything in the house. It was the biggest air-cooled type at the time. The other ones are very expensive.

andysteb

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 27, 2017
    Hahnville, la
    I installed my transfer switch 2 months ago. I've already used it twice.

attachment.php

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Latest tracking (10pm) said Marco decreases to a tropical storm and may not make landfall at all! Good news for the gulf coast though we still have to worry about rain

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I don't think that Marco will be that bad but it looks like Laura is going to pass right over my house. Going to suck big time.

Top Bottom