Two Hurricanes One Gulf

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Hope it’s an old truck. The new ones aren’t so easy to get the gas out of. It’s a pain if even possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

New vehicles have a roll over check valve in the filler neck, since about 2000. I was researching this this morning as i was thinking my car could be an extended source of fuel for my port gen I purchased earlier this year. Most people report its next to impossible to siphon gas from late model vehicles. On some its a flapper, and some its a ball check. Either way getting a rubber or polymer hose with a diameter > 1/4" down the filler neck is a real challenge from what i read.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I'm looking for a non-redneck solution.

A transfer switch or generator interlock seems to be the logical, safe, and up to code solution.

Lol. My red neck solution was free and worked for every major outage since I’ve lived here. Good luck.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    New vehicles have a roll over check valve in the filler neck, since about 2000. I was researching this this morning as i was thinking my car could be an extended source of fuel for my port gen I purchased earlier this year. Most people report its next to impossible to siphon gas from late model vehicles. On some its a flapper, and some its a ball check. Either way getting a rubber or polymer hose with a diameter > 1/4" down the filler neck is a real challenge from what i read.

I found out the hard way years ago.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Kinda late in the game Bubba?

Planning to do things right in the future. I didn't have a need for a generator in the past.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol. My red neck solution was free and worked for every major outage since I’ve lived here. Good luck.

That's wonderful. It's not something I'm interested in.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Two reasons I'm looking into an Interlock Kit:
    1) I have nowhere to safely hook up a generator.
    2) Interlock Kits supposedly meet code.

I'll have to have someone run cables through the house to an ideal location for a generator inlet.

You guys can do what you want. I'm not into rigging things up.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

I'll have to have someone run cables through the house to an ideal location for a generator inlet.

I think your reason is fine but the whole “redneck” comment was silly. Once again it points to people not wanting to participate because of the immediate insults. You do you and I’ll keep rednecking it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think your reason is fine but the whole *redneck* comment was silly. Once again it points to people not wanting to participate because of the immediate insults. You do you and I’ll keep rednecking it.

I mean... it is kinda redneck. Not doing it the right way can be unsafe in many ways. I have family members that due it the "redneck" way. I don't want to do it that way.

Rather than redneck, perhaps I should have said the incorrect or illegal way, because that's what it is.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I mean... it is kinda redneck. Not doing it the right way can be unsafe in many ways. I have family members that due it the "redneck" way. I don't want to do it that way.

Rather than redneck, perhaps I should have said the incorrect or illegal way, because that's what it is.

My redneck generator hook-up is on a 240 volt 50 amp breaker, I pull the mains in order to guarantee no back feed down the line...as in not a chance in hell !

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My redneck generator hook-up is on a 240 volt 50 amp breaker, I pull the mains in order to guarantee no back feed down the line...as in not a chance in hell !

The interlock itself is just a plate to prevent your main and the generator breaker from turning on at the same time. With or without the interlock, I still don't have a way to connect a generator to my home.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

What size generator do we have?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    What size generator do we have?

Pick one lol

I don't own a generator, as I have no way to connect one to my home.

I am not looking for anything immediately. I just figured I would ask in this thread, because people typically run generators for power outages during/after hurricanes.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    The interlock itself is just a plate to prevent your main and the generator breaker from turning on at the same time. With or without the interlock, I still don't have a way to connect a generator to my home.

I put in a wall mounted 4 point prong twist-lock next to my panel,Ran 8 gauge wires to carry the load,Ran the wires to a stand alone breaker...Pretty bubba-ed up stuff I learned in the oil-field

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I put in a wall mounted 4 point prong twist-lock next to my panel,Ran 8 gauge wires to carry the load,Ran the wires to a stand alone breaker...Pretty bubba-ed up stuff I learned in the oil-field

From my research, I would need to have 10ga to support 30A. If there is anything I’ve learned in the oil-field, there are a lot of people that cut corners.

Oh well, Gud Luck out there...if you're searching for one today?

I have no plans to purchase anything currently.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    From my research, I would need to have 10ga to support 30A. If there is anything I’ve learned in the oil-field, there are a lot of people that cut corners.

I have no plans to purchase anything currently.

Dave Ol Buddy 8 gauge is larger than 10 gauge and can carry more......

Top Bottom