Noob boolit castings, looking better!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Getting the hang of the Lee 6 cavity 224 boolit mold. These have been gas checked and resized. Dont know what I want to do to them, lube or powder coat.

20200827_204153.jpg

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Looks good. How fast will you be pushing them? The bayou bullet coating can be had and it’s fairly easy to do.

I will have to check into that for sure. I loaded some bayou bullet 9mm and they shot great. Thanks for the tip! I actually ordered a pound of neon zombie green powder coat. Going to give that a try. What do you find gives the best even coat, wet or dry?

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Looks good. What weight are they? I assume that is one of the Lee Baltor Molds.
    I sold my 55 grain 224 Lyman mold.
    And bought a Mihec brass heavy 224 (227)
    But have not cast with it.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Looks good. What weight are they? I assume that is one of the Lee Baltor Molds.
    I sold my 55 grain 224 Lyman mold.
    And bought a Mihec brass heavy 224 (227)
    But have not cast with it.

Yes its a lee mold. Been testing some CFE223 at about 22 gr. Runs reliably and is accurate enough in my ar rifle and pistol. Still getting the hang of powder coating.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Just a normal lee mold.
    Your mold is the current mold offered by Lee, which is a copy of the RCBS mold. Lee at one time offered a mold referred to as the "Bator". I have a 6 cavity Bator myself. It's very different than their current offering. I also have the RCBS mold that inspired the Lee copy that you have. Both designs have a following of fans. I prefer the one like you have.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Your mold is the current mold offered by Lee, which is a copy of the RCBS mold. Lee at one time offered a mold referred to as the "Bator". I have a 6 cavity Bator myself. It's very different than their current offering. I also have the RCBS mold that inspired the Lee copy that you have. Both designs have a following of fans. I prefer the one like you have.

Interesting, im fresh into reloading metallic. I did a little shotgun reloading back in my youth, but no brass. Id like to see the difference in the molds. I got the lee because it looked like it would work and they had them in stock. Amazing how hard stuff is to find for 9mm and 223.
    I'm having a little more success with the coating part, changed my buckets and got a tray and such. I only applied one coat to these and size/gas checked them. I think since my alloy is so damn hard it makes it really difficult to resize with two coats. Like I have to drill the stuck bullets out of the sizing die. Or maybe im doing them to thick. I do like this mold though, the gas checks snap on really nice and im hoping the factory crip die works well with the cannelure.
    20200830_134038.jpg

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Interesting, im fresh into reloading metallic. I did a little shotgun reloading back in my youth, but no brass. Id like to see the difference in the molds. I got the lee because it looked like it would work and they had them in stock. Amazing how hard stuff is to find for 9mm and 223.
    I'm having a little more success with the coating part, changed my buckets and got a tray and such. I only applied one coat to these and size/gas checked them. I think since my alloy is so damn hard it makes it really difficult to resize with two coats. Like I have to drill the stuck bullets out of the sizing die. Or maybe im doing them to thick. I do like this mold though, the gas checks snap on really nice and im hoping the factory crip die works well with the cannelure.
    20200830_134038.jpg

I've seen 2 versions of the Bator. One is a 55 grain blunt round nose. The other is also a blunt round nose with a small flat area on the nose. (RNFP). I have the later. You can Google "Lee 22 Bator" and find pictures. The Bator didn't shoot well for me. The design you have was much better. What is your alloy?

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    I am assuming wheel weights and lino type. I got the pot used and it came with lead in it and quite a bit of extra lead wheel weights and some linotype.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Are the wheel weights in ingot form or still as "wheel weights"? If still raw wheel weights, be sure not to use any zinc weights. Many currently available wheel weights are zinc. You can ruin your good alloy with zinc. If the linotype is pure, mixing it 50/50 with clip-on wheel weight lead will yield an alloy very close to "Hardball" alloy. Hardball is what I use successfully up to about 2300fps with conventional lube. Most lead stick-on wheel weights are close to pure lead and are soft. You should consider joining the Cast Boolit Forum for a wealth on information.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Are the wheel weights in ingot form or still as "wheel weights"? If still raw wheel weights, be sure not to use any zinc weights. Many currently available wheel weights are zinc. You can ruin your good alloy with zinc. If the linotype is pure, mixing it 50/50 with clip-on wheel weight lead will yield an alloy very close to "Hardball" alloy. Hardball is what I use successfully up to about 2300fps with conventional lube. Most lead stick-on wheel weights are close to pure lead and are soft. You should consider joining the Cast Boolit Forum for a wealth on information.

I've got about 350# of old wheel weights still in wheel weight form. I do have a couple ingots that already were made. Will keep a eye out for zinc when I smelt them down into ingots. I quench after casting and then after powder coating. They just turn to dust when encountering ar500.

- - - Updated - - -

Where is this cast bullet forum?

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I've got about 350# of old wheel weights still in wheel weight form. I do have a couple ingots that already were made. Will keep a eye out for zinc when I smelt them down into ingots. I quench after casting and then after powder coating. They just turn to dust when encountering ar500.

- - - Updated - - -

Where is this cast bullet forum?

Mike, the weights have been sorted, no zinc or steel in them, it is a waste of linotype to use 50/50

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Mike, the weights have been sorted, no zinc or steel in them, it is a waste of linotype to use 50/50

It depends what you're loading for. If you're loading for a 45 ACP I agree. I use straight wheel weights for that. But when approaching the velocities I do, 50/50 is required to get the results that I do.

Top Bottom