Firearm ownership

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lpso708

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    Thibodaux,LA
    I have posted about getting my glock22 that was stolen an trying to get from Lafourch parish sheriff before anybody ask no luck. I am asking for a friend in lake charles he lost all during storm firearms were ok in the safe but as far as bill of sales they are gone in the wind. He wants to know in this case how can he make sure he does have them taken as mine for no bill of sale? I have no answer for him so I turn to you on the site for answers. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    He needs to create an inventory of all his firearms. Pictures of the complete firearm, pics of the serial numbers, and approx value of each. Keep this on a thumb drive, cloud, phone, ect. If anything comes up missing just refer to the list.

If he has to use one on somebody, proof of ownership is the least of his concerns.

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Make a list with make model and serial number of each gun.
    Pictures are great, for insurance purposes..
    Have a notary visit and witness the list and firearms as those in your possession and notarize your list. It doesn’t matter whether or not you have a bill of sale as much as it does if any of the firearms were reported stolen, or can be proven to have been used in a crime (i.e. retrieved rounds matching the gun). The bill of sale is simply a written and signed testament that states you bought this object from said person who agreed to sell it to you. Unless someone comes looking for a gun and claims it belongs to them, you don’t need the BOS to prove you own it if you’re in possession of it. The bottom line is, the purpose of a receipt, BOS or list of guns and serial numbers is to support your claim of ownership should they ever be stolen or there is ever a challenge to your claim of ownership.
    If you shoot someone while defending yourself in your home and the police do take the weapon, a bill of sale won’t help you if they run the numbers and find the gun was reported stolen or run ballistics and find it was used in a crime before you purchased it.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Just an FYI on this discussion but most homeowner's insurance policies have a hard limit on firearms total coverage, $1000 to 2500 is the limit pretty much widespread. If you need to cover more, you have to elect/pay for an additional coverage rider. If your home goes up in flames, you could suffer a major loss concerning ur firearms. Or theft. Grant you it is a long shot, but it can and does happen occasionally.

Pics and receipts go a long way if you have a major loss. Your phone takes pics, take a pic of individual purchase receipts and ur firearms and store this on a thumb (usb) drive. Store thumb drive in a local bank safety deposit box, or have a family member keep it safe for you in their residence. Obviously you will have to update this proof of ownership/data occasionally. Insurance companies don't just take ur word "I had x firearms which burned up", you have to prove ur claim.

Most homeowners policies have hard limits on cash, electronics, furs, firearms, art, and jewelry. Read ur policy completely or call ur trusted agent.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Just an FYI on this discussion but most homeowner's insurance policies have a hard limit on firearms total coverage, $1000 to 2500 is the limit pretty much widespread. If you need to cover more, you have to elect/pay for an additional coverage rider. If your home goes up in flames, you could suffer a major loss concerning ur firearms. Or theft. Grant you it is a long shot, but it can and does happen occasionally.

Pics and receipts go a long way if you have a major loss. Your phone takes pics, take a pic of individual purchase receipts and ur firearms and store this on a thumb (usb) drive. Store thumb drive in a local bank safety deposit box, or have a family member keep it safe for you in their residence. Obviously you will have to update this proof of ownership/data occasionally. Insurance companies don't just take ur word "I had x firearms which burned up", you have to prove ur claim.

Most homeowners policies have hard limits on cash, electronics, furs, firearms, art, and jewelry. Read ur policy completely or call ur trusted agent.
    You’re right about the limits, but a few years ago when I paid the house off I actually got a break on the homeowner’s policy, had to redo it with State Farm and we got an extra 100k coverage on contents (not much when you think about it) for a decent price. Gotta jump through a few hoops for the discounts but it’s worth it. Surprising what they will give you credit for.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Lets say they were stolen in the future or he was god forbid he had to use one how do you prove it is his.

As others said, it's a good idea to have a list, with serial numbers, in case of theft or whatever. But, there is no reason he would ever have to prove it was his, unless someone claims it was taken from them. If he is in possession of it, it is his, unless someone can prove otherwise. And whether it is his or not would have no bearing on the legalities surrounding any use of it. For example, a person could steal a gun and use it in a justified self defense shooting, and it wouldn't matter except that he could be charged for theft.

Top Bottom