Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 67
Results 61 to 65 of 65
  1. #61
    _________

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by troy_mclure View Post
    not that im agreeing or disagreeing with the whole mechanic thing, but, the employees that build them are NOT gunsmiths, they are ASSEMBLY TECHS. they run off an assembly line. lots of videos to watch on the process that the big guys use.
    There are some big name manufacturers that have pulled their assembly videos due to the criticism received for doing things improperly. The majority of AR’s you come across at your LGS are not going to be well made. That’s due to over saturated market and current high demand.

  2. #62
    _________

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    You sir are the one who threw out brand names .
    That was actually you that threw out brand names.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    H at AR Performance
    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    Names of people who don't even build AR barrels -just blanks- .
    Bartlein was the only brand I mentioned that does not offer a completed AR barrel. However, the do recommend Compass Lake to finish their blanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    Everything I have stated is based on actual experience and everything you have countered with has been what you believe and not what you have experienced.
    Are you assuming what my experience is? That's unwise. I've had Loctite 242 (blue) fail in conditions where it was not subject to the pressures and temperatures that a gas block will see. It would be silly to even both using it on a gas block when Loctite 272 and Rocksett have been impervious to such conditions... in my personal experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    You say a good mechanic will scratch the upper using the wrong punch , maybe your mechanic will but good mechanics will use the correct tool .
    That was actually John who said that and he mentioned a lower, not an upper.

    Quote Originally Posted by John_ View Post
    Now I grant you it isn't rocket science and the lower assembly is a piece of cake, but wait til you scratch the lower using a regular automotive punch to start/drive in the bolt stop lever small roll pin.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    You are full of misinformation and guesses and short on facts yet still argue about a site you evidently have not read .
    If you can actually point out anything that I said as misinformation, I will entertain that discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    If you want to debate you should purchase or borrow a AR performance barrel and compare with the WO.
    It's now a requirement to purchase or borrow an AR Performance barrel to understand the properties of Loctite products?

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    you should seal one with blue loctie and leave the other clean
    As I've previously stated, I have no intentions of doing so, because Loctite 242 (Blue) was never designed for such purposes. Loctite 620 or another sleeving compound would be more preferable, although when using a properly sized and aligned gas block, leakage should be extremely minimal and over time will seal itself with carbon buildup. This is a common issue with carbon locked adjustable gas blocks.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    Don't put out misinformation by repeating internet builders or what you believe and don't argue with people who have experience with something you don't .
    Again, if you can actually point anything that I said as misinformation, I will entertain that discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    I enjoy debating facts
    I also enjoy discussing factual information, which you have surprisingly ignored. Multiple members here have stated using Loctite 242 threadlocker to seal a gas block is improper use of the product. Multiple members have also quoted factual information regarding the temperature ranges of Loctite 242. Do you dispute this factual information that is readily available on the Henkel Adhesives website?

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    so after you try sealing a block
    I have done this. However, I did not trust the word of a seemingly unheard of barrel manufacturer and use "blue loctite." Interestingly enough, there are multiple "blue" Loctite threadlockers. 242 is most common.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    and shooting a "no name" cheap AR performance barrel let me know and we can discuss your EXPERIENCE.
    I have no intentions of ever ordering a barrel from AR Performance. This discussion doesn't have very much to do with AR Performance aside from his claims of using Blue Loctite for gas block set screws and sealing a gas block to prevent leaks. If he focused more on ensuring his barrels maintained tighter tolerances and using a quality gas block, he may not be as concerned with sealing leaking gas blocks.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    Until then I'm not really interested in your baseless claims .
    Yet here we are. You continue to argue against my supposed "baseless claims" that you have thus far been unable to prove are baseless.

  3. #63
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    I stand corrected , I did mention Ruger S&W and AR performance before you mentioned names . I quoted john on the punch issue and knew it was not your quote . I do agree that if a block needs a sealer for proper bcg function the best thing to do is replace the block . You claim blue loctie is not a good sealer so my advice is don't use it , simple , it works for others and no sealer at all works for me . If you read the instructions on the sleeve sealer you recommend you will see it is best used for assembled parts and will flow into holes it doesn't need to be in . I have installed several of H's barrels and none have needed anything on the barrel or block to seal or take up space . Your assumption he doesn't pay attention to tighter tolerances is unfounded and misinformation . Any loose fit would not be caused by his barrels , he doesn't build gas blocks and has no control over the quality of the ones a builder uses. I admit I was wrong about who mentioned names first but will not hold my breath until you admit using a sealer that creeps into unwanted places is misinformation and that your bashing using blue loctie on blocks ( if someone feels the need) and claim AR performance doesn't pay attention to tolerance of barrels is misinformation by default , since you have no experience with AR performance barrels . Again you can argue until the cows come home but that will not mean anything and is just conjuncture unless you have experience with what you are talking about . Let me know when you do until then I'm done with this topic .





    Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

  4. #64
    _________

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    Your assumption he doesn't pay attention to tighter tolerances is unfounded and misinformation .
    So you agree that a loose fit between gas block and barrel is no good, but defend AR Performance's suggestion to seal a block with blue loctite? That's funny.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    I admit I was wrong about who mentioned names first but will not hold my breath until you admit using a sealer that creeps into unwanted places is misinformation
    If you're pouring gallons of Loctite 620 it might creep into unwanted areas. You saying that is indicative of you never actually having used the product. It has a similar consistency to Loctite 242 and other Loctite products. If Loctite 620 will creep, so will Blue Loctite... So tell me, what about it is misinformation?

    LOCTITE 620 is a high strength, high temperature resistant retaining compound.
    LOCTITE® 620 is a retaining compound designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close-fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage due to shock and vibration. Typical applications include locating pins in radiator assemblies, sleeves in pump housings and bearings in auto transmissions. Particularly suitable for applications where temperature resistance up to 200°C is required.
    https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/...ctite_620.html

    Loctite 620 is made for bonding cylindrical parts... like a barrel and gas block...

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    and that your bashing using blue loctie on blocks
    I have a huge bottle of Loctite 242 at my bench. I use it when necessary. Using it for gas block set screws and sealing a loose block is unnecessary. There is no reason to use blue Loctite when there are better adhesive to use. That is, unless you simply do whatever "H at AR Performance" tells you to do without actually understanding why there are other adhesives better suited for the job.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    claim AR performance doesn't pay attention to tolerance of barrels is misinformation by default
    I suggested that if he paid more attention to those tolerances and used a quality gas block, he may not need to be concerned with sealing the gas block. However, you continue to get upset any time anyone invoke the name of AR Performance, so I don't see this conversation going anywhere. We get it... you have a hard on for AR Performance.

    Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    and is just conjuncture unless you have experience with what you are talking about.
    What don't I have experience with? You seem to know me better than I know myself.

  5. #65
    _________

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Just to clarify for readers, you should never HAVE to use any adhesive between the gas block and barrel. Replacing the block with something that actually fits properly is the best solution.

    This discussion came about from someone suggesting that building a rifle is a cake walk. If you don't have the tools or experience, just don't do it. It's not cost effective in the slightest. Other members here have already pointed this out. The OP was looking to purchase a rifle, not build one. That's a wise move.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •