"budget AR thread" has me thinking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Yeah, that is how Colt and FN America assemble their rifles. They manufacture their precision parts and then haul em down to the local auto mechanic shop for assembly.

Now I grant you it isn't rocket science and the lower assembly is a piece of cake, but wait til you scratch the lower using a regular automotive punch to start/drive in the bolt stop lever small roll pin.

When I did my first AR lower build I was worried about that so I put some blue painters tape around the hole. turns out I didn't need it but it was great for peace of mind.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    When I did my first AR lower build I was worried about that so I put some blue painters tape around the hole. turns out I didn't need it but it was great for peace of mind.

10-4. I still put a doubled up piece of duct tape. I'm sorta anal and don't like scratches and dings I can prevent. The starter punches are like $6 delivered off ebay and they are great for small roll pins. Ditto the gas tube pin.
    Or modding my Canik SFX trigger, or any other pistol for that matter. Colt Python new sights install, check.

Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Yeah, that is how Colt and FN America assemble their rifles. They manufacture their precision parts and then haul em down to the local auto mechanic shop for assembly.

Now I grant you it isn't rocket science and the lower assembly is a piece of cake, but wait til you scratch the lower using a regular automotive punch to start/drive in the bolt stop lever small roll pin.
    A good mechanic would not use a regular punch he would reach in his box and get his starter punch , the same one he uses to start the role pin into a clutch master cylinder . If you have trouble putting a pin in on the kitchen table / building bench don't try it on a clutch m/c wedged between a brake master cylinder and fender or on a slave cylinder while laying on a creeper .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I guess I should have said a mechanic that is a shooter , is knowledgeable of how firearms work and can follow directions . Seriously , nothing about building an AR is difficult . A 5th grader can lap an upper and the dreaded pivot pin launch can be avoided by inserting a multi hole 1/4 pivot pin in as a alignment tool . Putting hung pins on a door is more complicated . Most rails come with nuts with flats and don't have to be aligned and the torque range is from good-n-snug to good-n-tight . I have used a torque wrench to prove to several people I have helped on builds that most everyone can get close to the middle of the range with an open end wrench. Most mechanics have a vise ,brass hammer and all the punches you need . Mechanics understand proper alignment of tubes and the nessesity of sealing and probably has blue loctie and good synthetic oil on hand . If you get an under gassed barrel he can even open it up for you . That is the beauty of the AR platform even though it was not built by a tank mechanic It is simple mechanics . I for one would never be trust my vehicle to someone who could not build an AR .

I’m sorry to say, this is a lot of bad information and why I stated an auto mechanic wouldn’t know what to do.

You shouldn’t be using blue loctite on anything other than the handguard screws. Even then, Vibratite VC-3 would be a better option. NO ONE should be drilling out a gas port unless all other options gave been exhausted and the barrel is drilled by a competent gunsmith. Gas ports are so small, I would not trust a machinist unless they had gunsmithing experience.

Understanding WHY things are done is important. Your auto mechanic buddy doesn’t know why unless he’s educated on such things, which I would say is probably rare. You need the proper tools and understanding if you want to do things the right way.

The OP is not interested in building, so this conversation is best left to the other thread.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I really have no interest in "building" one. I'll just buy or trade for one.

The best thing to do is evaluate what you’re willing to spend and what you are looking for.

The best advice I can give you is to avoid the Springfield SAINT line altogether. They are quite possibly the worst current production rifles on the market.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I’m sorry to say, this is a lot of bad information and why I stated an auto mechanic wouldn’t know what to do.

You shouldn’t be using blue loctite on anything other than the handguard screws. Even then, Vibratite VC-3 would be a better option. NO ONE should be drilling out a gas port unless all other options gave been exhausted and the barrel is drilled by a competent gunsmith. Gas ports are so small, I would not trust a machinist unless they had gunsmithing experience.

Understanding WHY things are done is important. Your auto mechanic buddy doesn’t know why unless he’s educated on such things, which I would say is probably rare. You need the proper tools and understanding if you want to do things the right way.

The OP is not interested in building, so this conversation is best left to the other thread.
    Some of the best barrel manufacturers recommend blue loctie on gas blocks , drilling out a gas port is as easy as drilling out a hole in anything ( Don't forget to put a wooden dial in to protect the bore

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Some of the best barrel manufacturers recommend blue loctie on gas blocks , drilling out a gas port is as easy as drilling out a hole in anything ( Don't forget to put a wooden dial in to protect the bore

1. None of the best manufacturers recommend blue loctite on gas blocks. The only time you will use threadlocker on a gas block is for set screw blocks. At that point you will either use Loctite 271 (Red) or Rocksett.

2. No, you do not insert a wooden dowel into the bore. You should know what you are doing and ensure you set the depth to what you need. Any knowledgeable machinist would know this. You also shouldn't be drilling it out with a hobby drill press in your garage.

3. Stop giving out bad advice.

Rather than cluttering up this thread... Take the discussion here if you disagree:
    https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums...Gas-Block-Threadlockers&p=1727540#post1727540

Last edited:

jcdogfish

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 2, 2015
    prairieville, LA
    The best thing to do is evaluate what you’re willing to spend and what you are looking for.

The best advice I can give you is to avoid the Springfield SAINT line altogether. They are quite possibly the worst current production rifles on the market.

:thumbsup:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    1. None of the best manufacturers recommend blue loctite on gas blocks. The only time you will use threadlocker on a gas block is for set screw blocks. At that point you will either use Loctite 271 (Red) or Rocksett.

2. No, you do not insert a wooden dowel into the bore. You should know what you are doing and ensure you set the depth to what you need. Any knowledgeable machinist would know this. You also shouldn't be drilling it out with a hobby drill press in your garage.

3. Stop giving out bad advice.

Rather than cluttering up this thread... Take the discussion here if you disagree:
    https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums...Gas-Block-Threadlockers&p=1727540#post1727540
    You sir are just arguing to be arguing and have no idea what you are talking about . H at AR Performance for one suggests blue loctie and I don't know of anyone who knows more about barrels . His 3R 6.8 barrels are the ones others are judged by . Nothing I have said is misinformation I have stated facts .

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You sir are just arguing to be arguing and have no idea what you are talking about . H at AR Performance for one suggests blue loctie and I don't know of anyone who knows more about barrels . His 3R 6.8 barrels are the ones others are judged by . Nothing I have said is misinformation I have stated facts .

Sure thing, pal.

White Oak, Bartlein, and Shilen are not basing their barrels off of some no name brand selling $200 barrels.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Sure thing, pal.

White Oak, Bartlein, and Shilen are not basing their barrels off of some no name brand selling $200 barrels.
    I was not aware Bartlein started making AR barrels, that is good to know, thanks for the information .

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I thought I didn’t know what I was talking about?
    I'm not saying it is misinformation I'm saying I didn't know they started furnishing finished AR barrels like AR performance does and would like to know where I can get one .

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm not saying it is misinformation I'm saying I didn't know they started furnishing finished AR barrels like AR performance does and would like to know where I can get one .

There are numerous places to acquire one.

https://bartleinbarrels.com/ar10-and-ar15-barrels/
    https://craddockprecision.com/223-wylde-bartlein/
    https://www.whiteoakarmament.com/white-oak-precision-service-rifle-barrels-1798.html
    https://compasslake.com/
    https://www.precisionfirearms.com/m...-wylde-bartlein-920-muzzle-936-gas-block.html

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    That is my point exactly , they don't make drop in or ready to shoot barrels for AR 15s . The sites you provided actually shows that they only furnish blanks and don't offer any advice on how to seal gas tubes or blocks. AR Performance has his own chamber which is to the 6.8spc and 6.8spc2 what the . 223 w is to the . 223 and 5.56 . I advised op get a 6.8 if gun was going to be a hunting gun and anyone who knows anything about 6.8s would not considered Hs barrels " no name " they are the ones others copy . His 3r and 5r performance barrels often out perform barrels people pay twice as much for . And his are ready to shoot , you don't just get a blank someone has to machine .

Top Bottom