"budget AR thread" has me thinking

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    not that im agreeing or disagreeing with the whole mechanic thing, but, the employees that build them are NOT gunsmiths, they are ASSEMBLY TECHS. they run off an assembly line. lots of videos to watch on the process that the big guys use.

There are some big name manufacturers that have pulled their assembly videos due to the criticism received for doing things improperly. The majority of AR’s you come across at your LGS are not going to be well made. That’s due to over saturated market and current high demand.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You sir are the one who threw out brand names .

That was actually you that threw out brand names.

H at AR Performance

Names of people who don't even build AR barrels -just blanks- .

Bartlein was the only brand I mentioned that does not offer a completed AR barrel. However, the do recommend Compass Lake to finish their blanks.

Everything I have stated is based on actual experience and everything you have countered with has been what you believe and not what you have experienced.

Are you assuming what my experience is? That's unwise. I've had Loctite 242 (blue) fail in conditions where it was not subject to the pressures and temperatures that a gas block will see. It would be silly to even both using it on a gas block when Loctite 272 and Rocksett have been impervious to such conditions... in my personal experience.

You say a good mechanic will scratch the upper using the wrong punch , maybe your mechanic will but good mechanics will use the correct tool .

That was actually John who said that and he mentioned a lower, not an upper.

Now I grant you it isn't rocket science and the lower assembly is a piece of cake, but wait til you scratch the lower using a regular automotive punch to start/drive in the bolt stop lever small roll pin.

You are full of misinformation and guesses and short on facts yet still argue about a site you evidently have not read .

If you can actually point out anything that I said as misinformation, I will entertain that discussion.

If you want to debate you should purchase or borrow a AR performance barrel and compare with the WO.

It's now a requirement to purchase or borrow an AR Performance barrel to understand the properties of Loctite products?

you should seal one with blue loctie and leave the other clean

As I've previously stated, I have no intentions of doing so, because Loctite 242 (Blue) was never designed for such purposes. Loctite 620 or another sleeving compound would be more preferable, although when using a properly sized and aligned gas block, leakage should be extremely minimal and over time will seal itself with carbon buildup. This is a common issue with carbon locked adjustable gas blocks.

Don't put out misinformation by repeating internet builders or what you believe and don't argue with people who have experience with something you don't .

Again, if you can actually point anything that I said as misinformation, I will entertain that discussion.

I enjoy debating facts

I also enjoy discussing factual information, which you have surprisingly ignored. Multiple members here have stated using Loctite 242 threadlocker to seal a gas block is improper use of the product. Multiple members have also quoted factual information regarding the temperature ranges of Loctite 242. Do you dispute this factual information that is readily available on the Henkel Adhesives website?

so after you try sealing a block

I have done this. However, I did not trust the word of a seemingly unheard of barrel manufacturer and use "blue loctite." Interestingly enough, there are multiple "blue" Loctite threadlockers. 242 is most common.

and shooting a "no name" cheap AR performance barrel let me know and we can discuss your EXPERIENCE.

I have no intentions of ever ordering a barrel from AR Performance. This discussion doesn't have very much to do with AR Performance aside from his claims of using Blue Loctite for gas block set screws and sealing a gas block to prevent leaks. If he focused more on ensuring his barrels maintained tighter tolerances and using a quality gas block, he may not be as concerned with sealing leaking gas blocks.

Until then I'm not really interested in your baseless claims .

Yet here we are. You continue to argue against my supposed "baseless claims" that you have thus far been unable to prove are baseless.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I stand corrected , I did mention Ruger S&W and AR performance before you mentioned names . I quoted john on the punch issue and knew it was not your quote . I do agree that if a block needs a sealer for proper bcg function the best thing to do is replace the block . You claim blue loctie is not a good sealer so my advice is don't use it , simple , it works for others and no sealer at all works for me . If you read the instructions on the sleeve sealer you recommend you will see it is best used for assembled parts and will flow into holes it doesn't need to be in . I have installed several of H's barrels and none have needed anything on the barrel or block to seal or take up space . Your assumption he doesn't pay attention to tighter tolerances is unfounded and misinformation . Any loose fit would not be caused by his barrels , he doesn't build gas blocks and has no control over the quality of the ones a builder uses. I admit I was wrong about who mentioned names first but will not hold my breath until you admit using a sealer that creeps into unwanted places is misinformation and that your bashing using blue loctie on blocks ( if someone feels the need) and claim AR performance doesn't pay attention to tolerance of barrels is misinformation by default , since you have no experience with AR performance barrels . Again you can argue until the cows come home but that will not mean anything and is just conjuncture unless you have experience with what you are talking about . Let me know when you do until then I'm done with this topic .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Your assumption he doesn't pay attention to tighter tolerances is unfounded and misinformation .

So you agree that a loose fit between gas block and barrel is no good, but defend AR Performance's suggestion to seal a block with blue loctite? That's funny.

I admit I was wrong about who mentioned names first but will not hold my breath until you admit using a sealer that creeps into unwanted places is misinformation

If you're pouring gallons of Loctite 620 it might creep into unwanted areas. You saying that is indicative of you never actually having used the product. It has a similar consistency to Loctite 242 and other Loctite products. If Loctite 620 will creep, so will Blue Loctite... So tell me, what about it is misinformation?

LOCTITE 620 is a high strength, high temperature resistant retaining compound.
    LOCTITE® 620 is a retaining compound designed for the bonding of cylindrical fitting parts. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close-fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and leakage due to shock and vibration. Typical applications include locating pins in radiator assemblies, sleeves in pump housings and bearings in auto transmissions. Particularly suitable for applications where temperature resistance up to 200°C is required.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/retaining-compounds/loctite_620.html

Loctite 620 is made for bonding cylindrical parts... like a barrel and gas block...

and that your bashing using blue loctie on blocks

I have a huge bottle of Loctite 242 at my bench. I use it when necessary. Using it for gas block set screws and sealing a loose block is unnecessary. There is no reason to use blue Loctite when there are better adhesive to use. That is, unless you simply do whatever "H at AR Performance" tells you to do without actually understanding why there are other adhesives better suited for the job.

claim AR performance doesn't pay attention to tolerance of barrels is misinformation by default

I suggested that if he paid more attention to those tolerances and used a quality gas block, he may not need to be concerned with sealing the gas block. However, you continue to get upset any time anyone invoke the name of AR Performance, so I don't see this conversation going anywhere. We get it... you have a hard on for AR Performance.

and is just conjuncture unless you have experience with what you are talking about.

What don't I have experience with? You seem to know me better than I know myself.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Just to clarify for readers, you should never HAVE to use any adhesive between the gas block and barrel. Replacing the block with something that actually fits properly is the best solution.

This discussion came about from someone suggesting that building a rifle is a cake walk. If you don't have the tools or experience, just don't do it. It's not cost effective in the slightest. Other members here have already pointed this out. The OP was looking to purchase a rifle, not build one. That's a wise move.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Just to clarify for readers, you should never HAVE to use any adhesive between the gas block and barrel. Replacing the block with something that actually fits properly is the best solution.

This discussion came about from someone suggesting that building a rifle is a cake walk. If you don't have the tools or experience, just don't do it. It's not cost effective in the slightest. Other members here have already pointed this out. The OP was looking to purchase a rifle, not build one. That's a wise move.

I never said a cake walk . I say an AR is a piece of machinery and not complicated , don't claim I posted something I didn't to make yourself look good . It does not take a wizard of a gun smith to assemble one but it needs to be done by someone who is skilled with tools and has an eye for details. I never said by someone without proper tools either. Since I offered my opinion you have argued about everything I have said . If it makes you feel superior to criticize others and pretend to be an authorty of things you know nothing about that is your problem . In my opinion you are just another sexual intellectual who likes to argue .

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    I never said a cake walk . I say an AR is a piece of machinery and not complicated , don't claim I posted something I didn't to make yourself look good . It does not take a wizard of a gun smith to assemble one but it needs to be done by someone who is skilled with tools and has an eye for details. I never said by someone without proper tools either. Since I offered my opinion you have argued about everything I have said . If it makes you feel superior to criticize others and pretend to be an authorty of things you know nothing about that is your problem . In my opinion you are just another sexual intellectual who likes to argue .

Dave is now a sexual intellectual. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No dog in this hunt, but wtf is a "sexual intellectual" in this context?

ETA: OK, Urban Dictionary shed some light. Proceed.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I never said a cake walk . I say an AR is a piece of machinery and not complicated , don't claim I posted something I didn't to make yourself look good .

You called it simple mechanics.

Some people like to make it sound like an art but it's really simple mechanics

It does not take a wizard of a gun smith to assemble one but it needs to be done by someone who is skilled with tools and has an eye for details.

Doesn't need to be a gunsmith, but needs to be done by someone who is skilled with the tools and has an eye for details? So like a gunsmith?

I never said by someone without proper tools either.

But you did say a mechanic friend. I don't know many mechanics that have proprietary AR-15 tools.

Since I offered my opinion you have argued about everything I have said . If it makes you feel superior to criticize others and pretend to be an authorty of things you know nothing about that is your problem .

I simply stated you spread bad information, which others seem to agree with.

In my opinion you are just another sexual intellectual who likes to argue .

Uh... what.

Ah... you mean a know it all. Well, for someone who has previously stated they like to debate factual information, you sure hate debating factual information.

I enjoy debating facts

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    In my opinion you are just another sexual intellectual who likes to argue .

WTF does a sexual intellectual have to do with anything you're debating with Dave over?

Dude, you just need to raise the white flag and give up. You brought a dull pocket knife to a gun battle and Dave is eating you up night and day. Just concede and live to fight another day.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    WTF does a sexual intellectual have to do with anything you're debating with Dave over?

Dude, you just need to raise the white flag and give up. You brought a dull pocket knife to a gun battle and Dave is eating you up night and day. Just concede and live to fight another day.

A little more on topic, when I was reading way back on page one, I actually found some uppers in stock that are not insanely overpriced. BCM seems to be trying and hasn't jacked their prices way up.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/ar15-upper-receiver-groups/?_bc_fsnf=1&in_stock=1

$700ish for a good upper, although it needs a BCG and a lower.

I'm seeing people listing DD rifles for damn near $2000. Grabagun has Colt LE6920's for $1800 :eek3:

- - - Updated - - -

A little more on topic, when I was reading way back on page one, I actually found some uppers in stock that are not insanely overpriced. BCM seems to be trying and hasn't jacked their prices way up.

https://bravocompanyusa.com/ar15-upper-receiver-groups/?_bc_fsnf=1&in_stock=1

$700ish for a good upper, although it needs a BCG and a lower.

I'm seeing people listing DD rifles for damn near $2000. Grabagun has Colt LE6920's for $1800 :eek3:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    sexual intellectual = A person who is clearly a f*cking know-it-all. A blend of a smart ass and a douche bag - overall an annoying person that no one can stand.

Now does Dave sound like this sort of guy?

Dave 3.0 has evolved into a rational, intelligent, and respectful guy :)

One would think that the term would pertain to sex in some manner.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    sexual intellectual = A person who is clearly a f*cking know-it-all. A blend of a smart ass and a douche bag - overall an annoying person that no one can stand.

Dave 3.0 has evolved into a rational, intelligent, and respectful guy :)

One would think that the term would pertain to sex in some manner.

I'm trying.

I like building AR's the right way. I am tired of pulling guns apart to fix stupid mistakes that could have been prevented. I'm honestly about to replace a barrel and gas block that's overgassed and has leaks. It should be the last one I ever touch from a specific manufacturer.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

Well....um....never mind.

I'll go back to my corner and keep monitoring the thread. Carry on.

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo

I was debating he was arguing , there is a big difference . Remind me , who was so silly as to have made the ridiculous comment that mechanics would use the wrong punch ? I cringe to think there are people out there letting their wife and kids ride in a vehicle that have brakes and steering repaired by someone who can not figure out how to install a roll pin in a lower or lap it . God help those poor people if their mechanic can't tighten a barrel properly with a 50 ft lb . Window . Hopefully they are not a sexual intellectual also and will take my advice and find a skilled mechanic capable of quality work . Hopefully one with a good set of punches .

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I was debating he was arguing , there is a big difference . Remind me , who was so silly as to have made the ridiculous comment that mechanics would use the wrong punch ? I cringe to think there are people out there letting their wife and kids ride in a vehicle that have brakes and steering repaired by someone who can not figure out how to install a roll pin in a lower or lap it . God help those poor people if their mechanic can't tighten a barrel properly with a 50 ft lb . Window . Hopefully they are not a sexual intellectual also and will take my advice and find a skilled mechanic capable of quality work . Hopefully one with a good set of punches .

Well now I know for sure you are an auto mechanic by trade, maybe retired given your age. I had a suspicion earlier but I'm pretty convinced now.

What is "a 50 ft lb . window ." btw? I'm not familiar with this terminology.

Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    Well now I know for sure you are an auto mechanic by trade, maybe retired given your age. I had a suspicion earlier but I'm pretty convinced now.

What is "a 50 ft lb . window ." btw? I'm not familiar with this terminology.
    ARs are such precise machines the torque on the barrel nut has to be between 30 ftlbs and 80 ftlbs ( I'm sure you can find other values such as 35 - 80 if you want to argue the size of the window ) . The German torque value is between good-n-snug and good-n-tight .

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I will confess that I would not let the majority of the so called mechanics work on my veh . but on the same note I would not let most so called builders touch my guns . Most so called professionals are Gators .

Top Bottom