5.56 Nato and .223 ammo the same

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Looking at a rifle that says 5.56 Nato and wondering if it can shoot commercial .223 ammo? THANKS

Yes you can, and no they are not the same. Plenty of good info out there on the subject and of course it’s been covered here about 932 times, but yes. A rifle that’s specifically chambered in .223 might be a different story (older Mini 14) but its ok to fire .223 in a rifle chambered in 5.56x45.

I don’t load much for my AR15’s but when I do, I only use .223 brass (no crimped primers!) and I’m usually loading 75-77gr projectiles either in subsonics or pretty well maxed out for my long range rifles that prefer heavy stuff.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Mag is spot on, and this is truly his wheelhouse anyways. Don't shoot 5.56x45 factory ammo in older rifles chambered for .223 remington.

"The second and most important difference between the two is the fact that a 5.56 NATO chamber has a .125" longer throat. This allows approximately one more grain of powder to be loaded into a 5.56 NATO cartridge; this is what gives it higher performance than its 223 Remington cousin."

slightly higher internal peak cartridge pressures in 5.56 vs .223 rem besides the chamber throat diff.

Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    As previously stated ,this has been discussed many times but it would be wise to google difference between the two and look at the drawings . .223 and 5.56 brass is same dimension . The difference is in the free bore of the chamber , where as the 5.56 has a longer jump to the rifling which loweres pressure allowing more powder and or longer bullets to be used without creating too much pressure . Even though some brass is marked . 223 and others 5.56 it is not in common to find some . 223 brass thicker than some 5.56 brass so as always sort brass by weight and don't assume if it's not too hot in x case it is fine in y case. If you had a . 223 I would warn to obstain from shooting anything marked 5.56 unless it was notoriously weak but since you have a 5.56 shoot what you want.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom