Here we go...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Cross your fingers for me, boys. First time...

*gulp*

klAUCuN.jpg

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Be careful with that portable mini vise/mount, maybe stand on it while tightening barrel nut. Looks like you got everything there. Do you have syn grease or neverseize for the receiver barrel nut threads? Dave would advocate Aeroshell 33, but you can use neverseize from the auto parts store. Small tube. Light application.

It isn't rocket science. I'm sure they have youtube step by step videos, good idea for the first time assembler.

Last edited:

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Do you have syn grease or neverseize for the receiver barrel nut threads? Dave would advocate Aeroshell 33, but you can use neverseize from the auto parts store. Small tube. Light application.

Yessir, I got the Aeroshell 33! Tiny little jar with the circus tent on it.

I've only ever worked on handguns so the small bench vice has worked out for me so far. Good tip standing on it if need be, or I could relocate the vice to the workbench out in my shed pretty easily (I'm just indoors hiding from the humidity)

Yetimaltz

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2019
    Metairie
    Looks like he has aeroshell (the umbrella in the middle of the photo).

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    10-4 on the aeroshell 33. Dave would be pleased. What is the coffee for? stimulus?

Get to work bro. Take ur time. You got a lot of support here if ya need it. Live support (not in India) .......people pay good money for that!

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Dave would advocate Aeroshell 33

I advocate using Aeroshell 64, which was formerly named 33MS and is compatible with 33. The TM calls for Aeroshell 33MS (64) on the receiver extension threads and upper receiver threads to ensure you achieve proper tension, among other things. The difference between 33 and 33MS (64) is 5% molybdenum disulfide added, which gives it the metallic grey color. Aeroshell 33 will appear a greenish color. There are other options that can be used, but avoid anything with graphite.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    The advil will be useful when you launch something across the room.

Yeah like those little detent pins and their springs. I've gotten pretty good with them, use a thin flat blade to compress and hold the detent and their springs while you insert the two lower receiver main pins. Thin flat blade like a non-serrated steak knife edge held close, or my thin 6" metal ruler edge.

You almost need some sort of guard while assembling those guys so if you accidently launch one, you can find it again. Plan ahead. I guarantee somebody has shot one of those little detent pins into oblivion, never to be found again.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Yeah like those little detent pins and their springs. I've gotten pretty good with them, use a thin flat blade to compress and hold the detent and their springs while you insert the two lower receiver main pins. Thin flat blade like a non-serrated steak knife edge held close, or my thin 6" metal ruler edge.

You almost need some sort of guard while assembling those guys so if you accidently launch one, you can find it again. Plan ahead. I guarantee somebody has shot one of those little detent pins into oblivion, never to be found again.

I have a few tricks to mitigate the possibility of them launching across the room. There is a good pivot pin tool to use that's made by Real Avid. Possibly the only good tool they make, but it works as advertised. It not only works as a slave pin, but allows you to compress the spring, rotate the tool to prevent it from backing out, and guides the pivot pin into place.

657544.jpg

When I shot an ejector and spring across the garage, I nearly had a heart attack. Luckily it hit the wall and fell onto the ledge of the baseboard where I don't have anything. If it went behind the bench or any of my storage, I would never find it.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    a dirty, junk infested garage floor or cluttered workshop is bad news for launching springs or pins.

Or guys doing lower assembly @ their dining room table, and they have shag carpet wall to wall.

James...where ya at brother?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I have a few tricks to mitigate the possibility of them launching across the room. There is a good pivot pin tool to use that's made by Real Avid. Possibly the only good tool they make, but it works as advertised. It not only works as a slave pin, but allows you to compress the spring, rotate the tool to prevent it from backing out, and guides the pivot pin into place.

657544.jpg

When I shot an ejector and spring across the garage, I nearly had a heart attack. Luckily it hit the wall and fell onto the ledge of the baseboard where I don't have anything. If it went behind the bench or any of my storage, I would never find it.

Nice tool. Dave, when it comes to the AR-15, you are the master. Probably Glocks too I imagine.

southerncanuck

Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I advocate using Aeroshell 64, which was formerly named 33MS and is compatible with 33.

The stuff I got says AEROSHELL 64//33MS GREASE on the top. Just ordered it off Amazon but sounds like I got the right stuff?

Couple tricks I saw on various forums... one was to use a 1/4 clevis pin (only a buck at the hardware store) and the other was to install that detent spring inside a plastic bag so if/when it goes flying you can track it down pretty easily. Might be easier said than done.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    When the manufacturers assemble/sell a lower parts kits, they should just supply 3 of those little detent pins. And maybe 3 springs. Cheap insurance against show stoppers. Or just have some spares on hand if you are a regular assembler.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Couple tricks I saw on various forums... one was to use a 1/4 clevis pin (only a buck at the hardware store) and the other was to install that detent spring inside a plastic bag so if/when it goes flying you can track it down pretty easily. Might be easier said than done.

Good ideas, I especially like the bag idea for nubes. Like a gallon size zip lock bag as a blocker/container :)

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The stuff I got says AEROSHELL 64//33MS GREASE on the top. Just ordered it off Amazon but sounds like I got the right stuff?

Yea, you're good to go. Umbrella Corp has been selling those tins for a while. That's what I did when I bought my first large tube of Aeroshell. I found a bunch of 1/2 oz jars on Amazon for a few dollars and parted out 50% of the tube. Sold them to people who needed them for a few bucks a pop, made my money back on the tube and cost of jars, and I still have a good portion of Aeroshell to last me a while.

That small jar you have will last a dozen or so rifles. A little goes a long way. Do yourself a favor and wear some nitrile gloves when you apply it.

49786545592_b5f9ac30ca_z.jpg

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

You are not finished yet? You should be ready for the range by now for sure. You must be brewing Advil and ingesting coffee :)

PS: no disrespect intended.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You are not finished yet? You should be ready for the range by now for sure. You must be brewing Advil and ingesting coffee :)

PS: no disrespect intended.

Maybe he has an upcoming appointment with his mechanic to make sure he built it right.

Top Bottom