Best circular saw to buy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mxav

Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    New Orleans
    The Ryobi one works fine for me. Fairly priced & does what I need it to do. If it craps out, I dont feel bad because they arent expensive to replace. The non-brushless one usually comes in a kit with battery included.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    My Skilsaw has always given good service. Adjustments are easy and positive. the new models look nice and rugged. This looks like a nice one. If I was in market I would look into the left mounted blade saw as another here suggested.

Skilsaw
    SPT67M8-01
    7-1/4 In. Left Blade SIDEWINDER™ Circular Saw, SOUTHPAW™

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have been looking at 14 and 15 amp saws. When I went home yesterday, I looked at the label on my old Black and Decker and it has a 9 amp motor. Between that and the fact it is 38 years old, I understand why it was bogging down on me last weekend when I was trying to cut through 3/4" plywood.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have been looking at 14 and 15 amp saws. When I went home yesterday, I looked at the label on my old Black and Decker and it has a 9 amp motor. Between that and the fact it is 38 years old, I understand why it was bogging down on me last weekend when I was trying to cut through 3/4" plywood.

Don't feel too bad about your discovery! Few laypeople understand the relationship between power and amperage!

It is the entire reason why Tim the Toolman Taylor of Home Improvement was so funny!

J.Ellis

One for the road
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Madisonville,LA
    Earlier in the post it was mentioned to get good saw blades.
    +1 for Diablo saw blades. They are the best for the money IMHO. They stay sharper longer and last longer then regular saw blades.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    Earlier in the post it was mentioned to get good saw blades.
    +1 for Diablo saw blades. They are the best for the money IMHO. They stay sharper longer and last longer then regular saw blades.

i just used 2 for cutting wood laminate flooring. the circular saw blade did great. the jigsaw was not so impressive.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    To anyone that wants a 120v worm drive, I suggest that you look at the RIdgid. Anyone who has done serious framing understands the value of a worm drive. Also, the blades on the left so it’s better for right-handers.

I had the classic lightweight (magnesium) SkilSaw that I bought used and wore out. When I looked at the Skil and the Ridgid side by side I was impressed and bought the Ridgid. Some people trash talk it because it’s the HD brand. However, they are made by Emerson who made the Craftsman power tools before they started being built by Ryobi. Emerson makes motors for lots of power tools and also makes APC UPS models and other computer environmental gear.

The Ridgid saw has a much longer, heavier cord that illuminates when it has power and has an attached Velcro retaining strap. The blade screw is hex key and the Allen wrench for it fits in a storage spot in the saw body. You can use both diamond hole and round hole blades. It’s also lighter and has a more comfortable top handle.

I liked the saw so much that I bought the planer (1/2” wider cut than Dewalt, double sided blades) and their full-size table-saw (it’s an awesome beast).

For smaller corded circular saws I like the weight and ergonomics of the Makita.

I’ve had at least four brands of battery tools. Most of them Dewalt to be able to share batteries on the job site. I continue to be frustrated with battery life and how expensive they are. Most places sell a discounted 2-pack around Christmas and Fathers Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlong1691

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2020
    Denham Springs
    As a frame and trim carpenter for most of my life, I use Makita Circular Saws, and Diablo Blades. Before Diablo, I used Marathon Blades. Marathon is obsolete to Diablo, more expensive, and for 9.95 the red blade can't be beat. I like the Makita 5007 series saws for power to weight ratio. Worm drives are good, but heavy. I am a fan of the ergonomics on the newer Dewalt saws, where you adjust the blade height by the large knob on the front rather than a tiny lever. All in all my Dewalt is 10 years old, I have Makitas that are still going strong for 20+. Any good name brand saw is kind of like any reputable gun company, buy the one that has the best ergonomics for you. Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita all have capable long lasting motors.

Just my .02

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    Are any of you handy and do some carpentry? My Black and Decker circular saw is an early 80's model and I have used the heck out of it through the years. It struggled to cut the last time I used it so I am looking to finally replace it. So what is the best circular saw to get? I have been researching them and there are tons of different models to chose from. Any suggestions from experienced saw users? I am just a DIY guy, so I do not need the absolute top of the line.

Makita 5007 is an excellent saw choice, Porter Cable PCE310 is what I'm using these days since I gave my old 5007 to my son-in-law. Irwin Marathon 24T is a terrific all purpose blade with a vented plate and a thin kerf. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Or get a Skill wormdrive, they last fore ever

I have one that is over 40 years old, still works great. My favorite saw, but it is heavy. Talked my son into getting one we saw at the pawn shop for $25. I have a standard Skill circular saw, but I don't like it as I am right-handed and the motor is on the left, and I can't see the line I am cutting unless I lean over the saw. With the worm, the motor is on the right and I can see the line with no problem.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    What do you mean by circular saw. I have an old B&D hand held, ie, Skil saw that has served me well for 50+ years. I had a Sears table saw, not the cheapest, nor their most expensive and always had fits using it. Never could get the rip fence to align parallel to the blade and could never get a straight cut. Miter gauge was not the most accurate either. I finally sold it, almost gave it away to get rid of it and bought a Delta Unisaw cabinet saw. Fantastic, all kind of robust adjustments. Rip fence aligns perfectly, and it has a micro adjustment and I can repeat width adjustments to a few thousands of an inch. Miters are a cinch also. I made a heavy duty crosscut table for most jobs and I can always get perfectly square cuts. I also have a big Dewalt 12" compound miter saw and it's ok, but have seen others much better since I got it about 25 years ago.

As much as I like the Delta Unisaw, if going that route again I think I would look more seriously at a Powermatic.

swampgeauxfur

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2020
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I'd probably pick up a DeWalt 20V. Since most companies now have their specialty lines, I'd rather buy into something with consistent quality across the board instead of spending beaucoup bucks investing in the best of every system.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'd probably pick up a DeWalt 20V. Since most companies now have their specialty lines, I'd rather buy into something with consistent quality across the board instead of spending beaucoup bucks investing in the best of every system.

I hand built my entire kitchen with the DeWalt 20v system. Granted, I'm a hobbyist and not using my tools eight hours a day, five days a week.

That said, I know more than a few full-time tradesmen that use the DeWalt 20v system and are quite happy with it.

Mike

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I hand built my entire kitchen with the DeWalt 20v system. Granted, I'm a hobbyist and not using my tools eight hours a day, five days a week.

That said, I know more than a few full-time tradesmen that use the DeWalt 20v system and are quite happy with it.

Mike

I have the 6 1/2" saw and screwgun with the 20 volt lithium batteries, sawblade on the left, so very easy to follow lines, and lithium batteries last 4 times longer than old ni cads

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    So I think I have decided to get this Skil circular saw from Home Depot for $99. For my purposes it is more than good enough. I just do light work around the house from time to time. I also recently bought a cordless Ryobi 18v circular saw with a 5-1/2" blade for quick little projects. That Ryobi surprisingly cuts very very well. I tried it on a 2x4 and it cut it very easily. It fact, it cut through a 2x4 better than my 38 year old Black and Decker with the 9 amp motor that I am replacing.

skilsaw-circular-saws-spt67wm-22-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So I think I have decided to get this Skil circular saw from Home Depot for $99. For my purposes it is more than good enough. I just do light work around the house from time to time. I also recently bought a cordless Ryobi 18v circular saw with a 5-1/2" blade for quick little projects. That Ryobi surprisingly cuts very very well. I tried it on a 2x4 and it cut it very easily. It fact, it cut through a 2x4 better than my 38 year old Black and Decker with the 9 amp motor that I am replacing.

skilsaw-circular-saws-spt67wm-22-64_1000.jpg

You wanted to know what the "best" circular saw was (as per your title)????? :confused:

The one you have here is by no means garbage, but it is way away from "best!"

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have a couple of the old cheap Skil brand saws. One is silver and black and the other is gold and black. They get the job done, and I doubt either was more than 50 bucks.

I recently replaced my aging dewalt nicad cordless tools with Kobalt 24v, from lowes. They had a deal where they would do 24% off if you brought in an old tool. I did this for the drill/driver kit and for the bare tool circular saw. Pretty sure it is a 6.5" blade, but is designed with an offset motor so that it can cut through 3 stacked 3/4" items. It is great with the 5ah 24v battery. The drill and driver are great too. And I have 250 bucks in the 3 tools and 5 batteries.

Using a circular saw is as much of an art as any other power tool. I can cut pretty straight freehand, but a clamp on guide is a good thing to have. I often use the kobalt saw to rough in material so that it is easier to handle when running it through the table saw.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom