Best circular saw to buy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Are any of you handy and do some carpentry? My Black and Decker circular saw is an early 80's model and I have used the heck out of it through the years. It struggled to cut the last time I used it so I am looking to finally replace it. So what is the best circular saw to get? I have been researching them and there are tons of different models to chose from. Any suggestions from experienced saw users? I am just a DIY guy, so I do not need the absolute top of the line.

Last edited:

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    If you want to get cabinet grade cuts, Festool track saw.

Milwaukee used to be the one for circular saws

Or get a Skill wormdrive, they last fore ever

Markmmg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Thanks everyone. I had not looked at Milwaukee saws. Home Depot has a sidewinder Milwaukee saw that is about $8 less than the Dewalt. My old Black and Decker saw was bogging down badly when I was cutting 3/4" plywood. The blade is in good condition too. My 38 year old saw is tired.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    My buddy had a Worm Drive and used it every day for years before they gave out. When they did they looked like they had been beaten to death.
    If not a pro get the Milwaukee Sidewinder

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm pretty heavily invested in the DeWalt 20v cordless system, and the circular saw has worked well for me. Of all of the battery powered tools that I own, the circular saw does the best of munching through a fully charged battery ... so when I'm using it heavily I keep three or four batteries in rotation.

I built our kitchen cabinets from scratch with the help of that circular saw. I don't want to remember how many sheets of 4x8 I ripped with it.

Mike

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I can't comment on the skill saws but Milwakee tools will outlast the DIY guy. I have a 1/2" Holeshooter drill I got used in 1981. It's still my go to for heavy drilling. And you better hold on!

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    If it’s just a beat around saw to have at the house most will do that.

Something to consider is right side vs left side blade. Right handed folks will be looking over the handle and blade guard to see the cut line. Porter cable and a couple others make a left side blade similar to most worm drive saws. I preferred that back when I used them for a living. Still do.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I have 2 old Skil saws, a worm drive and a regular circular saw. Some of you might remember the old plug in type. I’m afraid to try anything else. I would truly be at the mercy of the market if I suddenly needed one.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you have the money the Festool is where it’s at or so I’m told.

I have a Bosch for a circular saw. It’s good but not perfect. The motor is strong and doesn’t bog down. The cuts are accurate... for a circular saw. I mean they’re not track saws or a quality table saw. The weak point on the Bosch is the terrible plastic adjustments for the angle of cut and depth. They break or fall apart easily.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Mikita should also be considered. I bought one in 1999 and am still using it. My cousin cut the cord in half so I replaced it and it’s good to go. I use this thing hard over the last 20 plus years and it’s running like a clock.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    i have an 80's craftsman i bought from a pawnshop for $15. lol ive been looking at the Ryobi 1+ series. good reviews online, as long as you have a couple batteries.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So, it appears you are getting a few "opinions" to your query. Let me give you real world examples with my opinion.

I bought an 8 1/4 inch heavy duty DeWalt electric about 15 years ago. Came with hard case and a cross cut blade and a rip cut blade. In that same purchase, I bought an extra cross cut blade. I have yet to replace the original cross cut blade, and have never used the rip cut blade. I have used the saw extensively. I have cut tons of lumber with it, including alot of treated 2x4's & 4x4's that were actually still wet. Goes through them like butter. I have made rip cuts, cross cuts, plunge cuts, and bevel cuts; and because I am lazy, just keep using the original blade. I also have cuts tons of plywood. The machine itself is a beast, but the blade seems to be a very important element as well. As long as it keeps cutting clean and doesn't kick back, I will keep using the same blade.

Now, that being said, I have as many Milwaukee power tools as I do DeWalt. I only buy those two brands, with an occasional Makita when I can't find the particular power tool in either DeWalt or Milwaukee.

I would gladly bring either with me to battle in a combat "pro" or DIY scenario!

Emperor pro tip: Buy the best blades you can find!!!!!

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Unless it is for my tablesaw or miter saw I treat blades as fungible items. I use my circular saws for a ton of crap and will hit nails and other assorted bad items when using it. Lost a ton of carbide teeth cutting a counter top down to size to get rid of wiht all the nails and screws they put in it. But was using my cheap circ saw for that so no big loss and just another item to pick up at HF to replace.

Corded saws will run for what seems like a lifetime still have some old cheap Black and Decker ones from like 1995. Cordless saws are only as good as the battery lasts so buy extras.

I usually buy Ridgid cordless because they have the lifetime maintenance plan on it and it covers batteries that are bought with combo kits. The closest warranty place to me is in New Iberia but I don't have to get stuff worked on that often. I had my first Ridgid stuff for at least 15 years and just replaced batteries and just upgraded a few years ago to the new stuff and found that the new batteries work in the old tools so yeah.....

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Unless you spend a fortune all the new ones are junk. Have you thought about fixing the old one? There was a good tool repair shop in Fat City.

BTW, I'm using a 6 3/4 porter cable from around 1950. I had the cord replaced about 10 years ago and no problems since.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I have 2 old Skil saws, a worm drive and a regular circular saw. Some of you might remember the old plug in type. I’m afraid to try anything else. I would truly be at the mercy of the market if I suddenly needed one.

I'm with you Mag. I have a top of the line (back then) Craftsman corded circular saw that is 30 years old at least. Still works great. Every rechargeable battery product I have purchased at best might give you 4 to 8 years of battery life (if your really lucky) then they are worthy of the trash can. Ni-cads are the worst. And new replacement batteries are priced like they don't want you to buy them, read ridiculous. So you have to purchase a new tool completely. Read cordless drills, I have been thru 3 so far because of this reason, just ditched #3. I still own a Bosch 3/8" chuck corded hand drill too. Cordless tools are very convenient, but its a racket too. Manufacturers know exactly what they are doing.

My two year old cordless weed whacker has a 40V lipo battery. We shall see how it holds up long term. So far so good, fingers crossed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom