Why I never shoot at indoor ranges

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandy1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    B.R., La.
    Just met a fellow forum member at FRC to conclude a transaction.
    Deal was closed and we were getting in our trucks.
    BAM
    Guy comes running across the parking lot.
    Seems his buddy was "putting his gun together" in his vehicle and had an AD.
    No injuries.
    If this is what goes on in the parking lot I can only imagine how busy the range officer is inside.

Don't believe me?
    On your next trip to an indoor range just check out the side walls, ceiling or just right over your head.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I believe it. Why I have never been to the Honey Island range. Too many untrained (or poorly) with firearms, some without a lick of sense. How do you have an AD in ur vehicle putting your gun together? By violating rudimentary firearms safety rules. People get seriously injured or killed like that.

For many years I shot in the spillway, no problems. Lots of huge berms/backstops. Then Nick's in Garyville after he opened the range. Nick and his brother Paul ran a tight ship on the line. Last 4 years @ Bedico Range. Relaxed, safe, good people.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    FRC has rules and some of the fine folks of Baton Rouge have difficulty following them.

If you think this only happens at indoor ranges, please never visit some of the WMA ranges or really any other public range.

Bedico could make more money if it weren’t such a dump.

Honey Island would be safer if they had paid employees, but that probably won’t happen.

sandy1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    B.R., La.
    I know. I shoot occasionally in Port Allen, but never on Saturday or Sunday.
    Weekdays and especially weekday mornings the range is populated with solid, safe shooters.
    Weekends are a zoo.
    I have been blessed my whole life with many private places to shoot.

sandy1

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    B.R., La.
    Oh and Dave these were some of Baton Rouge's finer citizens if actions, clothing and jewelry have any bearing.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Oh and Dave these were some of Baton Rouge's finer citizens if actions, clothing and jewelry have any bearing.

I have been in FRC and witnessed someone fire two rounds from an AR pistol into the ceiling above. He was quickly asked to leave. The staff does a good job, but they get large crowds and can’t babysit everyone in the parking lot.

SuperK

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Denham Springs
    As a firearm enthusiast, I'm glad more and more people are first time gun buyers, but jeez, some of these guys are down right dangerous to shoot next to. Sometimes it's not even first time buyers but rather long time owners who are not paying attention. Several times in the past, I have packed my gear and left a range rather quickly after seeing the dumb stuff the guy in the lane next to me is doing. As a rule I usually try to go at opening time and get in, have some fun, then roll out. Glad you survived the parking lot :)

Last edited:

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I took this pic last time I was at Shooter's Club in Harahan. Someone would have to be a few feet behind the line to shoot this part of the wall. No idea how long it's been there, but I'm glad I wasn't around to witness it.
    da605af540bf87f4c6c43e8996f8c397.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk Pro

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    FRC has rules and some of the fine folks of Baton Rouge have difficulty following them.

If you think this only happens at indoor ranges, please never visit some of the WMA ranges or really any other public range.

Bedico could make more money if it weren’t such a dump.

Honey Island would be safer if they had paid employees, but that probably won’t happen.

I've been on a few law enforcement ranges and I can't remember seeing any without holes as well.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    Who remembers NO indoor range on Magazine St? My cousin was talking to the guy in the next lane about inproving the trigger on his S&W. The guy said try mine, if you like it, I can do the same to yours. He told my cousin "Do Not touch the trigger till your on target, it's a hair trigger". He raised the gun and as soon as he started bringing it down Boom. My cousin was very white with a Big shocked look on his face. The guy said I told you not to touch the trigger. Then he said, don't feel too bad. Look up at the celling. It was Full of bullet holes!!! Good thing it was a thick wooden floor above us.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I feel like you guys get more excited to see bullet holes vs wet lap holes. Stroke it to this sh!t. Holmes Blvd and Terry pkwy about 6 years ago..maybe more.

oRvnvD3.jpg

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Look, we all know there are idiots out there. Some just happen to own firearms too. Probably 30 years ago, I was at an indoor range in Kenner. A guy shooting in a lane stops firing, turns 180 on his feet pistol in hand and muzzle whips two of his friends with him. I packed up my chit and left pronto.

At Nick's in the beginning the RSOs were very cautious, head on a swivel, checking actions when range goes cold, watching for hazardous moves by shooters, muzzle direction. I found 8 or 10 years down the road, not as attentive on some days I was there shooting. Way more relaxed than on day one. Shouldn't be that way but I guess time (years) and the same ole thing (routine) every day breeds complacency.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I'm still trying to understand what an indoor range has to do with an AD outside ?

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    bass pro shop just outside the indoor gun range at the counter upstairs, sombody shot the floor while comming out of the range... i was there a few hours after it happened, fella at the counter said people was running like bulls to get outta there lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      215.5 KB · Views: 108
    Top Bottom