Seek Training

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    This was posted by John Hollister, on another forum I frequent, way back in 2008, but it still holds true to this day.

Folks. People like to have the cool guy gear, but if it came down to it, would you honestly know what to do with it if you needed to?

In the last, basically, two weeks, we have seen runs on gun stores for rifles and pistols. OK, you bought a shiny AR15. Congratulations

But again, when the Aliens are landing or the Zombies are rising (tongue obviously in cheek, insert your own SHTF situation here) could you utilize it to full effect, or are you buying a rifle/pistol that someone will claim from you?

I could go on for pages, but I hate reading long and boring posts . . .

First-aid, knife skills, firearms skills . . . hell, driving . . . get out there and learn from a professional how to use the shiny gear you own! Otherwise it'll do you little to no good when you really need it

Be safe

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Chances are most of the first time buyers only have to two units of ammo they are allowed to purchase with their new thunder stick. I highly doubt there will be much real training with the new buyers. I’m am happy to see people realizing they have a right to bear arms and are acting on that. I just hope their awakening transfers to their voting too. I have a feeling if Trump wins the market will be flooded with used guns by April of 2021.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Chances are most of the first time buyers only have to two units of ammo they are allowed to purchase with their new thunder stick. I highly doubt there will be much real training with the new buyers. I’m am happy to see people realizing they have a right to bear arms and are acting on that. I just hope their awakening transfers to their voting too. I have a feeling if Trump wins the market will be flooded with used guns by April of 2021.

Thanks to COVID-19 and the power of the internet, there are virtual classrooms being held. Not everything involves shooting live fire. Dry fire is free.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    You are correct. Many things can be done in the comfort of your own home but at some point one need to get hands on training. But I totally agree practicing dry fire, draw, etc... is a must.

Hardtack

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 1, 2020
    New Orleans
    Good advice. A couple of us at work got guns when the pandemic started and did a course with Phobos, glad we all did. I’m wondering if we’re more the exception than the rule for new gun owners these days. But that was back in April when ammo was still available and cheap. I signed my wife up for training since we now have a gun in the house, but the class was canceled, I think due to low demand.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Good advice. A couple of us at work got guns when the pandemic started and did a course with Phobos, glad we all did. I’m wondering if we’re more the exception than the rule for new gun owners these days. But that was back in April when ammo was still available and cheap. I signed my wife up for training since we now have a gun in the house, but the class was canceled, I think due to low demand.

Sadly, low demand has cancelled many classes. There were a few cancelled due to COVID restrictions early on.

There has been an uptick in CHP applications, but I don't know if that has translated to more people seeking further training.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Not nearly as awesome as if people would seek training.

You mean like a long time member here advocating to blindly discharge suppressive fire behind him while fleeing an armed attacker pursuing him?

Firing non-aimed shots behind you while running forward? Like they do in some fictional action movies.

I was rather appalled to read someone here advocate such as a strategy on the forum. One a waste of precious ammo, but more importantly could injure or kill an innocent bystander with an errand shot.

Is that the actions of a responsible gun owner?

I admit I have not had a single day of organized firearms training in my lifetime, but I have better sense than to employ such a tactic, for a couple really good reasons imo.
    Better to stop and take cover if possible and take aimed shots at the pursuer imo, if in that scenario. Better yet, don't end up being pursued by an armed assailant taking shots at you from your six.

Last edited:

jlw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Due east
    The demand for training has increased with all of the uncertainties, but the lack of ammo is really hampering the ability to actually provide training. Range access is problematic in my area (GA) as the demand to use ranges is also high. A fellow instructor was running a training group at an indoor range, but the range has been so busy that they aren't letting him rent the range for the group now.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You mean like a long time member here advocating to blindly discharge suppressive fire behind him while fleeing an armed attacker pursuing him?

Firing non-aimed shots behind you while running forward? Like they do in some fictional action movies.

I was rather appalled to read someone here advocate such as a strategy on the forum. One a waste of precious ammo, but more importantly could injure or kill an innocent bystander with an errand shot.

Is that the actions of a responsible gun owner?

I admit I have not had a single day of organized firearms training in my lifetime, but I have better sense than to employ such a tactic, for a couple really good reasons imo.
    Better to stop and take cover if possible and take aimed shots at the pursuer imo, if in that scenario. Better yet, don't end up being pursued by an armed assailant taking shots at you from your six.

None of what you said is actually taught by reputable firearms instructors. I’m unsure where he learned that *technique.*

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    Sadly, low demand has cancelled many classes.

That's a marketing problem, not a demand problem.

Demand is at a record high. People are falling all over themselves to take CHP classes. Why? In part it's because it's literally the only class available at most ranges. You need maybe a dozen people to run a class? In a frothing, frenzied market filled with new gun owners, if you can't find 12 people who want training then you're just not asking for their business. This is a remarkably stupid problem to have.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    That's a marketing problem, not a demand problem.

Demand is at a record high. People are falling all over themselves to take CHP classes. Why? In part it's because it's literally the only class available at most ranges. You need maybe a dozen people to run a class? In a frothing, frenzied market filled with new gun owners, if you can't find 12 people who want training then you're just not asking for their business. This is a remarkably stupid problem to have.

I sort of agree. It would be nice to have a platform where instructors could actually advertise training without having to pay a fee to do so.

People flocking to CHP classes, yes.
    People flocking to further training, no.

The CHP course itself is more of a seminar on the CHP rules with a laughable qualification. It’s not a replacement for actual training.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    None of what you said is actually taught by reputable firearms instructors. I’m unsure where he learned that *technique.*

You have forgotten so soon, I'm am surprised. (my bad, it was almost a year ago looking at dates) Post # 47 https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?184812-It-s-Your-Ammo-Not-Your-Pistol!/page5

And your post# 49.

Says he learned it from some training dvds he purchased.

Posts 62, 63, and 64 are really telling here: https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?184812-It-s-Your-Ammo-Not-Your-Pistol!/page7

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    CHP classes are a mostly a joke, unless you are a true novice, and even then, there's a lot of really bad info being pushed at many of them.

Advantage Group has been running classes in Robert and in Shreveport at Red River Range all year. They are doing Carbine I and II classes this weekend, and Pistol classes next month.
    http://advantagegrouptraining.com/calendar/

I agree ammo should not hamper training. You'll get waaaaayyyyyyy more reps at home with dry fire drills a few times a week, than going to the range for a class every month or two. But admittedly, getting out on the range and going BANG is much more fun. Ideally: Go to a class or two; Learn a few things; Dry practice at home to build muscle memory; Repeat.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You have forgotten so soon, I'm am surprised. (my bad, it was almost a year ago looking at dates) Post # 47 https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?184812-It-s-Your-Ammo-Not-Your-Pistol!/page5

And your post# 49.

Says he learned it from some training dvds he purchased.

Posts 62, 63, and 64 are really telling here: https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?184812-It-s-Your-Ammo-Not-Your-Pistol!/page7

The keyword in my statement was reputable.

CHP classes are a mostly a joke, unless you are a true novice, and even then, there's a lot of really bad info being pushed at many of them.

Advantage Group has been running classes in Robert and in Shreveport at Red River Range all year. They are doing Carbine I and II classes this weekend, and Pistol classes next month.
    http://advantagegrouptraining.com/calendar/

I agree ammo should not hamper training. You'll get waaaaayyyyyyy more reps at home with dry fire drills a few times a week, than going to the range for a class every month or two. But admittedly, getting out on the range and going BANG is much more fun. Ideally: Go to a class or two; Learn a few things; Dry practice at home to build muscle memory; Repeat.

I agree. One or two classes a year should be doable. Dry fire and even recording yourself is free. There is also a ton of free advice out there if you know where to look. Hell, even Nate and other instructors have given out free advice to those who are actually looking for it.

Rman

Free on weekends
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    City of Central
    Remember the old saying: "Too little, Too late". Unfortunately, for many newcomers, this is the case. As patriots, we should be out there helping in any way we can. Just sayin'

Rman

Free on weekends
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    City of Central
    That boy put in a lot of practice, but he could have used a better instructor. Some of the entry techniques they used made me cringe.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom