Law Enforcement Protection Act

Marksman

User Info Menu

Nice to see folks in FL stepping up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are the hammer

User Info Menu

If you are like me and don't wanna watch a video here's an article

https://www.flgov.com/2020/09/21/governor-ron-desantis-announces-the-combatting-violence-disorder-and-looting-and-law-enforcement-protection-act/

The Combatting Violence, Disorder and Looting and Law Enforcement Protection Act has three components, outlined below:
    New Criminal Offenses to Combat Rioting, Looting and Violence

1. Prohibition on Violent or Disorderly Assemblies: 3rd degree felony when 7 or more persons are involved in an assembly and cause damage to property or injury to other persons.
    2. Prohibition on Obstructing Roadways: 3rd degree felony to obstruct traffic during an unpermitted protest, demonstration or violent or disorderly assembly; driver is NOT liable for injury or death caused if fleeing for safety from a mob.
    3. Prohibition on Destroying or Toppling Monuments: 2nd degree felony to destroy public property during a violent or disorderly assembly.
    4. Prohibition on Harassment in Public Accommodations: 1st degree misdemeanor for a participant in a violent or disorderly assembly to harass or intimidate a person at a public accommodation, such as a restaurant.
    5. RICO Liability: RICO liability attaches to anyone who organizes or funds a violent or disorderly assembly.

Increased Penalties

1. Mandatory Minimum Jail Sentence: Striking a law enforcement officer (including with a projectile) during a violent or disorderly assembly = 6 months mandatory minimum jail sentence.
    2. Offense Enhancements: Offense and/or sentence enhancements for: (1) throwing an object during a violent or disorderly assembly that strikes a civilian or law enforcement officer; (2) assault/battery of a law enforcement officer during a violent or disorderly assembly; and (3) participation in a violent or disorderly assembly by an individual from another state.

Citizen and Taxpayer Protection Measures

1. No *Defund the Police* Permitted: Prohibits state grants or aid to any local government that slashes the budget for law enforcement services.
    2. Victim Compensation: Waives sovereign immunity to allow a victim of a crime related to a violent or disorderly assembly to sue local government for damages where the local government is grossly negligent in protecting persons and property.
    3. Government Employment/Benefits: Terminates state benefits and makes anyone ineligible for employment by state/local government if convicted of participating in a violent or disorderly assembly.
    4. Bail: No bond or bail until first appearance in court if charged with a crime related to participating in a violent or disorderly assembly; rebuttable presumption against bond or bail after first appearance.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I like this DeSantis fella. It's about time law enforcement got backed and leadership regained their balls. Enough is enough and those are some good and proper outcomes for the trouble makers in the mix.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko68 View Post
    I like this DeSantis fella. It's about time law enforcement got backed and leadership regained their balls. Enough is enough and those are some good and proper outcomes for the trouble makers in the mix.
    Agreed.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana

Sic semper tyrannis

User Info Menu

FL man stepping up. I can appreciate the dicks out approach.
    Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

I like guns because they're f*cking awesome.

On Target

User Info Menu

Not sure that I agree. The Libertarian in me cringes at the thought of legislating the right to freely assemble. I like DeSantis a LOT, but I see this as something that is wrought for abuse.

I can get behind being able to sue the state I FCC injured during violent protest and the prohibition of toppling monuments
    Last edited by Horrible; September 25th, 2020 at 07:12 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Horrible View Post
    Not sure that I agree. The Libertarian in me cringes at the thought of legislating the right to freely assemble. I like DeSantis a LOT, but I see this as something that is wrought for abuse.

I can get behind being able to sue the state I FCC injured during violent protest and the prohibition of toppling monuments
    I see your opinion as well but the actual outcome of these "peaceful protests" in some places have Illustrated that not all Americans know how to act accordingly without looting and destruction of property, even death.
    I figure we all have these rights and a huge majority would and do stay in the realm of the proper way to protest but given the current events, i feel it's clearly obvious that some can't handle the privilege/right.

Shooter

User Info Menu

Nothing in this law prevents anyone from freely assembling or lawful protest. Not one iota of it. What it does prevent is unlawful behaviors stemming from unruly assembly, blocking off roadways or freeways to draw attention, damaging private or public property, or harassing or intimidating people.

I'm not an expert on FL laws but I'd bet these are already unlawful activities. It just increase the penalties for committing such offenses while gathered in large crowds.

Like several have stated earlier, good on FL for having the balls to address illegal behaviors while under the guise of lawful assembly or protest. It isn't a free pass to intimidate, destroy property, or infringe on the rights of other citizens. Pretty clear really.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George Santayana

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

I don't believe the right to peacefully assemble is really affected by this.

"Prohibition on Violent or Disorderly Assemblies: 3rd degree felony when 7 or more persons are involved in an assembly and cause damage to property or injury to other persons."
    -If the assembly is peaceful, this does not apply.

"Prohibition on Obstructing Roadways: 3rd degree felony to obstruct traffic during an unpermitted protest, demonstration or violent or disorderly assembly; driver is NOT liable for injury or death caused if fleeing for safety from a mob."
    -If the peaceful assembly has a permit, the city is able to block off streets accordingly. If the goal of the assembly is to restrict the movement of other citizens and cause chaos, I don't think I'd agree to call it peaceful. So this would not apply either.

"Prohibition on Destroying or Toppling Monuments: 2nd degree felony to destroy public property during a violent or disorderly assembly."
    -Criminal Damage to Property isn't peaceful.

"Prohibition on Harassment in Public Accommodations: 1st degree misdemeanor for a participant in a violent or disorderly assembly to harass or intimidate a person at a public accommodation, such as a restaurant."
    -If your actions are designed to harass and/or intimidate people, saying those are peaceful actions is a stretch.

"RICO Liability: RICO liability attaches to anyone who organizes or funds a violent or disorderly assembly."
    -This does not apply to peaceful protests.