Perhaps a better option than paint, between $2200 and $2800 depending on size...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SuperK

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Hello All,

(Just spoke with the guys at the body shop and they will do your vehicle for between $2200 and $2800 depending on vehicle size. If interested please give them a call you won't regret it.)

I recently had my old GMC sprayed with Raptor Liner. My roof was damaged from pine trees, and I wanted to address it. The work was done at River City Collision in Denham Springs. The price was very competitive and the work is impeccable.

I am VERY pleased with the results. This may not be very appealing to every taste, but it is more durable than paint. It is UV and fade resistant. It can be tinted to match ANY color. It also sheds dirt and you never have to wax again. Just spray it off with a garden hose nozzle and MAYBE a soft brush. I personally have never washed it since. It looks like this every time after it rains. It rained the day before these pictures were taken, and they were taken without washing it.

The durability of this finish may appeal to those of you who drive your vehicles into the wilderness for various reasons, and although I don't know yet personally, it should be able to survive pushing through soft brush in the woods without scratching.

It will become damaged with severe impact such as a fender bender, but it is way easier to repair than paint.

The people at River City Collision are nice and kind people. If this interests you, please give them a call 225-665-8282. I am not affiliated with them at all. I received quality work, and want to share my discovery with other BS users.

There are plenty of videos on the internet of people doing this to vehicles, and some have achieved great results, but for me and my schedule, having River City Collision do the work was the obvious choice. They have been spraying vehicles for over 35 years...

Attachments

• truck pic 1.jpg
      truck pic 1.jpg
      258.8 KB · Views: 189
    • truck pic 2.jpg
      truck pic 2.jpg
      249.6 KB · Views: 189
    • truck pic 3.jpg
      truck pic 3.jpg
      254.4 KB · Views: 161
    • truck pic 4.jpg
      truck pic 4.jpg
      250.9 KB · Views: 157
    • truck pic 5.jpg
      truck pic 5.jpg
      249 KB · Views: 140
    • truck pic 6.jpg
      truck pic 6.jpg
      246.1 KB · Views: 158
    Last edited:

SuperK

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Denham Springs
    The price will be different for different sizes of vehicles. I don't want to misquote, but they are fair people, and will work with you to achieve a fair deal.

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Dude, that looks great. I really like it. Thinking my old Suburban would look bad ass with this spray. Thanks for sharing.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    The price will be different for different sizes of vehicles. I don't want to misquote, but they are fair people, and will work with you to achieve a fair deal.

The price will be different for different sizes of vehicles, agreed but what did it cost you for the Yukon. Did they do inside the door jams.

Last edited:

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    Thumbs high! Looks ballistic, now stuff the panels with phone books and install bullet-proof glass, add Teflon tubes in the wheels and there you go. Wilderness and beyond....

SuperK

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Denham Springs
    They did not spray the door jams. My GMC was black to begin with and did not need it. I'm not saying that they won't do the door jams, but the labor costs will go up. I asked about the jams, and they said they would, but it would require removing the doors, then taping off and sanding that area which is very time consuming. I'm sorry but I will not disclose what I paid. It would negatively affect their ability to negotiate with clients. They have no set price scale to my knowledge. They have charged people full price, and they have also helped out people who need their vehicles for work who are struggling with expenses after a crash. They are good, honest people, and will quote a fair price. That is all I will say.

I will comment on the work though, which as I stated was impeccable. They removed everything they could before spraying it in order to do an excellent job. Just like a full paint job, they removed the bumpers, the mirrors, the door handles, the roof rack, etc. Then they fixed every little ding and dent so the body would be perfect again, and I had more than several of those. Then they taped everything off just like a full paint job, and then sanded, wiped it down and sprayed it. It will cost less than a regular paint job though because there is no need for multiple coats, with wet sanding and a wipe down between each coat of paint and/or clear coat. They did NOT leave everything on the truck and simply cover it with tape/paper. They really care about their work.

Here is a comment on the their attitude towards their work. I wanted my truck and my wheels painted, but my original deal was for the truck and not the wheels. I'm not saying they will do this for everyone, but the man who sprayed it decided that it wouldn't look as good without doing the wheels, so he painted them free of charge. I had resigned myself to buying some black wheels after the job was done, but he told me that he did the wheels for me because he "couldn't let it roll out of (his) shop not at 100%". That's integrity. That is taking pride in your work and really caring about aesthetics.

If you are seriously interested please call them they will do a great job :)

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I DIY'd a bed once... Wasn't perfect but it worked. If I had a 10+ year old truck with a shot paint job I'd try it. I bet materials would be under $300... better than going to Earl Scheib!

SuperK

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 14, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Just spoke with the guys at the body shop and they will do your vehicle for between $2200 and $2800 depending on vehicle size. If interested please give them a call you won't regret it.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    That seems like it would greatly increase the likelihood of someone running into you in low light conditions, especially in parking lots.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I have personally sprayed quite a bit of raptor liner. In beds mainly, but I have sprayed it on the outside panels too.

Just like any other paint it has to be applied over decent paint. So if you have peeling, sun-damaged paint, scratches, etc it will fail, just like any other paint.

So all damaged paint has to be removed and the surface will need to be primed correctly with a decent primer, which will likely cost about the same as the raptor product does, per unit volume. The reason i say the damaged paint has to be removed is moisture incursion. The top coat (on car paint is is usually referred to as clear coat) provides all of the uv and moisture resistance. Primers and color coats (basecoat) are not water resistant, so they act like sponges. If you paint over a substrate with moisture in it the moisture will want to get out and cause the new paint to lift/bubble. Just want to clue the DIY crowd in, not just a sand and spray if the existing paint is in bad shape. However, if the paint is decent, a good clean, sand with 320 grit and spray should work. I would still suggest some sort of sealer/primer over the existing paint, as it will help with adhesion and chip resistance. Plus a color matched sealer (to the color of the raptor) will help with coverage. tinting raptor to a light color and going over a dark color will require more material to archive coverage.

The product is about 130 bucks per spray able gallon. That will do the inside of a 6 foot long bed, floor, side walls and front panel, and the inside of the tailgate. This stuff does not build like line x, so don't expect it to be thick. Texture is easy to vary by the distance you hold the gun from the panel. I can imagine they used 3 kits or maybe 4 for that tahoe. So 500 bucks or so of material, just in the raptor. Add the cost of tape, paper, sandpaper, body filler, primer, etc. You get the idea. It all adds up. I would guess 600-700 dollars at shop cost for materials. Figure 50 an hour for the labor, so about 37 hours. Std commission pay for a auto painter to spray the exterior of a vehicle that size would be something like 18-22 hrs, that includes all of the prep after primer is applied. So 15 hrs to disassemble, reassemble and fix dents. Even at 2800, you got a deal my friend.

So for 2200 to 2800 I would say that they are offering quite a deal.

Final surface prep is much more forgiving with a product that is thick and rough, versus shiny car paint. So there is a fair amount less prep required to bedliner the outside of a vehicle than spray it and make it look like new (with shiny paint).

Depending on the vehicle size and paint condition I could likely match their price, but I certainly would not spray it in my paint booth, as that stuff gets everywhere. And spraying with a cup over 3oz outside of a filtered booth is illegal.

I can see this being a great solution for the DIY crowd, as getting a nice clean paint job outside of a paint booth is very tricky, auto paint is costly (400 a gallon for some of the basecoat tint bases), and this stuff can be sprayed with a schultz gun and a reasonable sized compressor. It is a great product for trail vehicles, inside of jeep tubs, undercoating for the underside of vehicles, etc.

Top Bottom