Ruger To Buy Marlin

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Well I have to say that as someone who likes Marlin Lever actions I am happy to see Marlin go to Ruger. At least Ruger is a company who does not appear to be in any financial trouble and they have great customer service and product. I think they will do the Marlin line well.

Hate to see Remington having so many troubles still though.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/remin ... ushmaster/

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    From Caleb Giddings:

Breaking: Remington has announced the winning bidders for their bankruptcy asset sale. Major acquisitions:

Ruger will acquire Marlin
    Vista Outdoors to buy Remington Ammunition
    JJE Capital Holdings, aka Palmetto State will get: DPMS, H&R, Stormlake, and AAC
    Franklin Armory buying Bushmaster

Monday morning I’ll have a special edition of Firearms Industry News breaking down the bids, next steps in the process, and potential ramifications

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    That's good news. I hate what Remington did to Marlin. And Ruger makes good stuff and best I can tell is the last of the old US gun companies not owned by investment companies.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    That's good news. I hate what Remington did to Marlin. And Ruger makes good stuff and best I can tell is the last of the old US gun companies not owned by investment companies.

Agreed. And Ruger is a stand up company. Excellent products, support their customers 100%. Bill Ruger would be pleased that this carries on today.

Long term this should be a good thing for Marlin, and Marlin product fans.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was hoping for a comeback of the camp9. That won't happen if Ruger buys them...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I was hoping for a comeback of the camp9. That won't happen if Ruger buys them...

I just had that conversation with a gunshop owner. It could absolutely go either way with any of Marlin’s products, but seeing as the line was discontinued, there was never much hope of it being available again. About the only line that marlin (actively) produced that wouldn’t be considered competing with Ruger would be the lever action rifles. But that doesn’t necessarily mean anything is on the chopping block or drawing block.

I’m amazed at how any firearms company as big as Remington or Marlin or Smith & Wesson could be having money problems in this day and age. Poor management!

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I just had that conversation with a gunshop owner. It could absolutely go either way with any of Marlin’s products, but seeing as the line was discontinued, there was never much hope of it being available again. About the only line that marlin (actively) produced that wouldn’t be considered competing with Ruger would be the lever action rifles. But that doesn’t necessarily mean anything is on the chopping block or drawing block.

I’m amazed at how any firearms company as big as Remington or Marlin or Smith & Wesson could be having money problems in this day and age. Poor management!

Some of the old school stuff is actually harder to manufacturer, And the youngins don't want to pay a premium for old school.

The Marlin 39 held the record for the longest produced firearm by original manufacturer. If any one Marlin gun needs a comeback it's the 39.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Holy $3700 cameltoe!!!!!!!!!! If that thing is worth 3700 my 1897CB worth must be worth about a million bucks!!

Dat be the most expensive 22 lever action rifle I ever seen. I don't know if Browning might offer something more expensive, Grade Unobtainium. Guess that's why Marlin is trading hands so frequently. Or perhaps Remington established their product pricing in the later days.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    A lot of people criticized Remington's manufacture of Marlin lever actions but the truth is that Marlin had old 1950's machinery they were making the lever actions with that were just about wornout. Remington had to re-blueprint all the leveractions so they could be produced using modern CNC machinery, They got off on a rocky start using the old machinery at first until they could modernize production and finally start making rifles that worked fine. I believe Ruger will further continue new production methods and bring Marlin back to their former glory. Remington got too big for their britches and acquired too many companies too quickly and quality suffered in all the brands they acquired. I am wondering if Remington will continue as a separate entity as I don't see any mention of anyone buying the Remington brand.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    To be honest, Remington hasn’t made anything new that is worthwhile in decades.

Their trigger debacle and the RP9 were complete jokes.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’m optimistic that Ruger will do well with Marlin and not sully the name.

I really like every Ruger that I own. I wish that I still had the two that I used as trades. ( I’ll never sell / trade ANY firearm from now on!)

According to the Ruger literature, all the parts and components on Ruger ARs are made by Ruger in Mayodan, North Carolina (with the exception of the ones that are “co-branded”or “packaged” items (like MagPull furniture or magazines, Davidson’s, M-Lok, etc.). That includes the backup sights, standard Ruger grips, stocks and hand guards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    A lot of people criticized Remington's manufacture of Marlin lever actions but the truth is that Marlin had old 1950's machinery they were making the lever actions with that were just about wornout. Remington had to re-blueprint all the leveractions so they could be produced using modern CNC machinery, They got off on a rocky start using the old machinery at first until they could modernize production and finally start making rifles that worked fine. I believe Ruger will further continue new production methods and bring Marlin back to their former glory. Remington got too big for their britches and acquired too many companies too quickly and quality suffered in all the brands they acquired. I am wondering if Remington will continue as a separate entity as I don't see any mention of anyone buying the Remington brand.

I agree very much with the first part of this also. I was also wondering about Remington as its own entity. Will there still be a Remington brand and who controls it?

On a side note, I sure hope Ruger gets rid of those darn QR codes on the side of the Marlin receivers. Its bad enough to have the serial number there and it is a sure turn off to have the serial number and a QR code on there too. Its just ugly.

swampgeauxfur

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2020
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I've got a really good feeling about this. I'm thinking their first true release is gonna be something cool worth seeing. Looking forward to whatever it is.

Top Bottom