SA Imbel 1911 loose front sight

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    I have a Springfield Armory 1911, made by Imbel, i notice the front sight is loose, its not falling out just loose. I had a friend look at it and he said it looked like it was brazed or soldered. I am looking for someone local who can fix it for me. I have tried Gunslingers in Denham but they dont have the gear to work on 1911's. Thanks!
    20201001_185538.jpg20201001_185845.jpg

oneshy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2014
    Houma La
    I like to try a self fix when possible. In this case I don't think I could Bubba too bad. I have used a product called Solder-It which comes as a cream in a syringe. Apply around the piece and heat with a torch. Check it out before paying big money. There's probably something on utube. My go to site. JMHO

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    I will see if I can find some, I have used solder paste before to braze Ferrells for R/C boat running gear. Great idea! Thanks!

Oilman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Lafayette, LA
    I have a springfield milspec that has a front sight with that same tenon type design. The front sight began to be loose and wiggle at about 6,000 rounds. I used a plunger tube staking tool to peen the underside of the tenon where you can see it in the hole in the slide like in your picture. I put some drops of red loctite in the hole and peened the bottom of the tenon to make it spread tightly into the hole and it has held in place since then. That gun now has almost 20,000 rounds through it and the sight is still tight. If any of the tenon protrudes into the opening of the slide where the barrel bushing fits then just file the small protrusions away with a jeweler's file so that they won't interfere with the bushing fitting in properly.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    Id love to find a smithy that has the gear to do it local. I dont really want to spend 50 bucks on a punch I will use once, but I will if I have to. I'd rather support a local gunsmith with that $50.

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    The guy over at Hebert's Guns in Prairieville can do it. I had the exact same problem last year and he got it squared away for me and I haven't had a problem since, 2500 rds later. Unfortunately I can't remember his name for the life of me

Last edited:

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    I ran into this issue ony kids Springfield. I fashioned a punch from a larger punch and peened the sight. Has not come loose since. You are welcome to use my punch if you'd like.

MikeSlater

Sportsman 'N' Paradise
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Walker, LA
    I ran into this issue ony kids Springfield. I fashioned a punch from a larger punch and peened the sight. Has not come loose since. You are welcome to use my punch if you'd like.

I have punches I can modify, can you post a pic of what modification worked for you?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom