Barn Find Question?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    the zink sells for about $.60/lb on line($1.20 in ingot form), the lead sells for $.40-$.50/lb($1.00 in ingot form) shipped.
    you can fit 66lbs of lead in a plywood reinforced medium flat rate box.

Gmac

Hermit
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    The Bush
    Yeah, I probably should have explained.

I agree that most people would be unable to get the commodity price for a small quantity. But if it’s as clean as it looks in the picture I think it’s worth investing a little time to find a buyer.

A scrap dealer, I think, will be the low option. They are used to buying things from eager sellers and they are the ones trying to sell it close to the commodity price.

When I read the post the “found” word dinged loudest to me. For my time, etc. finding a source of possible cash is better than finding another long-term project. I’ve got a lot of long-term projects already.

As far as making bullets, I can attest that I have a little experience casting bullets. But I don’t like wearing a cartridge mask, other PPE, special gloves and extra clothes in the heat for hours and hours. I don’t like worrying about lead poisoning or having to undergo chelation therapy for years. I don’t like getting burned (there’s always at least a little one). Also, I’m not very good at it. So trying to cast that much lead is not my idea of fun. But if anyone does like it, Jerry Miculek has a great video about it on YouTube.

Who knows? Maybe there are some muzzle-loader shooting enthusiast clubs that need lead for making their round balls and Minie’ balls. It would be better if they could use their own truck to come get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I agree....I don't think there is any melting/smelting lead in my future. I think I'll start investigating, in search of a source
    to off load it. $0.96/lb would be great ...but at any price, it is some heavy shixt to move...my back aches already, just thinking about it

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I truly don’t believe you’d be able to sell even pure lead for 96 cents/lb unless it was already in the form of some new bullets, but that’s just my belief. I do see pages and pages of ingots for sale on eBay at some crazy prices, but it doesn’t look like it’s selling. My dad is sitting on a steel drum full of Linotype and he didn’t pay 96 cents/lb for that. Again, not trying to ruffle any feathers. I will offer a deal to anyone who finds a buyer tho. 400+ pounds of ingot and At least 200 pounds of pure lead for 50 cents/lb and you can nearly double your money. Just lemme know and I’ll get it crated up.

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I truly don’t believe you’d be able to sell even pure lead for 96 cents/lb unless it was already in the form of some new bullets, but that’s just my belief. I do see pages and pages of ingots for sale on eBay at some crazy prices, but it doesn’t look like it’s selling. My dad is sitting on a steel drum full of Linotype and he didn’t pay 96 cents/lb for that. Again, not trying to ruffle any feathers. I will offer a deal to anyone who finds a buyer tho. 400+ pounds of ingot and At least 200 pounds of pure lead for 50 cents/lb and you can nearly double your money. Just lemme know and I’ll get it crated up.
    easy peasy. linotype can easily get you over $1/lb

example 1
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?409927-WTS-RANGE-LEAD-INGOTS-25-lb-boxes-10-boxes

example 2
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?409883-FS-Hard-lead-ingots-***Oct-6th***

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA

25 lb of lead for $34 shipped. How much you think it costs the seller to ship a 25 pound box of lead anywhere in the USA?

More than $10 I guarantee you that. A medium USPS flat rate box = $13.20 (appears what seller is using in your links above) Think net profit for seller. In his pocket.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    25 lb of lead for $34 shipped. How much you think it costs the seller to ship a 25 pound box of lead anywhere in the USA?

More than $10 I guarantee you that. A medium USPS flat rate box = $13.20 (appears what seller is using in your links above) Think net profit for seller. In his pocket.

$13.20+25=$38.20 is $0.84 lb thats still well over your $0.50 lb, and its range scrap. not pure pb or lino.

ive been casting boolits for almost 15 years. i made a good chunk selling ww ingots online in '13. id buy from tire shops for $5-$10 a 5gal bucket.

but i can see you "know" that you cant sell lead for $0.50 lb, so im going to leave it alone.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    25 to 28 is shipped in Small flat rate the boxes I have state $8.30

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    $13.20+25=$38.20 is $0.84 lb thats still well over your $0.50 lb, and its range scrap. not pure pb or lino.

ive been casting boolits for almost 15 years. i made a good chunk selling ww ingots online in '13. id buy from tire shops for $5-$10 a 5gal bucket.

but i can see you "know" that you cant sell lead for $0.50 lb, so im going to leave it alone.

But it isn't "easy peasy, well over $1 a pound" as you claimed above. I never posted anything about 50 cents a pound in this entire thread. You clearly have me confused with someone else.

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    But it isn't "easy peasy, well over $1 a pound" as you claimed above. I never posted anything about 50 cents a pound in this entire thread. You clearly have me confused with someone else.

and as stated thats for range scrap, the cheapest lead you can buy. alloys and pure pb go for much better values. you can dig into the sale listings on castboolits if you like to find plenty of sales of all types of alloys.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    my apologies, the quote grabbed you for some reason.

No problem Troy. No doubt this massive guns and ammo run on demand/sales has also affected loading supplies and raw materials too. Primer and powder demand/pricing is crazy right now like finished ammo too.

Raw lead commodity value was actually way higher in the fall of 2019, then dropped big time this year from the pandemic. View this one year trend: https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/lead

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    No problem Troy. No doubt this massive guns and ammo run on demand/sales has also affected loading supplies and raw materials too. Primer and powder demand/pricing is crazy right now like finished ammo too.

Raw lead commodity value was actually way higher in the fall of 2019, then dropped big time this year from the pandemic. View this one year trend: https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/lead
    that is crazy.
    ive never looked beyond the scrap price. and its been fairly stable last year or so. maybe a $0.05/lb fluctuation
    soft lead(basically anything but ww) is running $0.60/lb here in br area. national avg is $0.65/lb
    https://www.scrapmonster.com/scrap-prices/north-american-lead-scrap/soft-lead-scraps/186/1/1

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    that is crazy.
    ive never looked beyond the scrap price. and its been fairly stable last year or so. maybe a $0.05/lb fluctuation
    soft lead(basically anything but ww) is running $0.60/lb here in br area. national avg is $0.65/lb
    https://www.scrapmonster.com/scrap-prices/north-american-lead-scrap/soft-lead-scraps/186/1/1

The problem is at least here is that may be the price for scrap lead but they will state it is Dirty Scrap as it is not all lead and bring what they are paying way down as it gas glue and foam as,well as,steel mixed in.
    And they are right.
    For them to be worth close to.the price they woukd have to be in ingot form. And they would still not pay the whole 0.60 to 0.65 as they buy from you and resell it.
    Might as,well if doing that sell the ingots on the net.
    Plain and simple they will be you up on .price

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I would do my " Happy Happy Dance"
    I started casting bullets in 1967 and my friend who owned a couple tire shops retired last year ... I know exactly what to do with them !
    Gary

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom