Barn Find Question?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gmac

Hermit
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    The Bush
    What would you do if you found a ton or so of sorted lead wheel weights in the back of your barn?
    Hypothetically speaking of course.....;)

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I second what 340 said, but if it’s not an option for you, there may be a few people who’d be interested in part or all. Wheel weights are not all the same. The old ones are pretty good as is for a lot of bullet making, in that the mix is the right hardness over pure lead or dead soft lead. A lot of the new ones that are mostly lead are a different mix, or so I’m told. It’s possible that some found in a barn from a certain era may contain more lead than modern weights. That might be a reason to leave them as is and maybe pick them out of the rubble or what have you and clean them up.

gcab985

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Raceland, LA
    Well... I purchased a 150 lb. lot of wheel weights a couple of years ago. I spent a couple days examining each weight to separate the zinc weights from the lead weights. I then cast lead ingots of what was left. I guess I ended up with about 70 lbs of ingots after several days of work. The lot was supposedly all lead.

Since I am retired, I have the time available. But, I did obtain the weights at a very good price and that made it worth while for me.

Hypothetically of course, if I were to find a lead trove in my barn I would feel like it was Christmas. ;=)

Gcab985

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Well... I purchased a 150 lb. lot of wheel weights a couple of years ago. I spent a couple days examining each weight to separate the zinc weights from the lead weights. I then cast lead ingots of what was left. I guess I ended up with about 70 lbs of ingots after several days of work. The lot was supposedly all lead.

Since I am retired, I have the time available. But, I did obtain the weights at a very good price and that made it worth while for me.

Hypothetically of course, if I were to find a lead trove in my barn I would feel like it was Christmas. ;=)

Gcab985

They would take me 20 to 30 min.
    Side cutters and magnet are your friends. As,well as a good thermometer.
    My oldest son used to work at a tire place that also rebuilt wheels.

Last edited:

Gmac

Hermit
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    The Bush
    Inspection reveals they are sorted into 4 categories:
    1. 100% Lead These are the type attached by adhesive tape... no steel clips
    2. Lead with steel clips
    3. Zinc most with steel clips some with adhesive tape
    4. 100% Steel probably half with steel clips and half with adhesive tape
    All of the adhesive type have been scraped off of the wheel and as such have varying amounts of tape still attached.
    I would imagine that would burn off in the melting process?

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I don’t overthink it too much and try to keep things simple. One word of advice is not to smelt and cast from the same pot. I take wheel weights, range scrap, casting scrap, etc., and throw it in an old pot that is used just for smelting. You can use a propane cooker, camp stove, electric hot plate, even an open fire to melt things down. Once melted good, flux with candle wax, sawdust, pine needles, and stir well while skimming the slag that rises to the top. Have PLENTY ventilation! Once the junk is removed you will see the lead looking nice and clean. Pour into a muffin tin or whatever mold you want and let cool into ingots.

When ready to cast (fishing weights, bullets, etc.) use a different casting pot. I cast mostly round ball so don’t have to mess much with bullet lube or powder coat stuff. Relaxing way to spend an afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I like corncobs !

Attachments

• acorns 12-25-19 005.jpg
      acorns 12-25-19 005.jpg
      252.9 KB · Views: 172

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Not sure where the Bush is.
    If you want to call me I can give you a play by play. Just PM me.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The price on Market Insider as of the close of business on October 2, 2020, was $1763 per metric ton. There are about 2200 pounds in a metric ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah, I probably should have explained.

I agree that most people would be unable to get the commodity price for a small quantity. But if it’s as clean as it looks in the picture I think it’s worth investing a little time to find a buyer.

A scrap dealer, I think, will be the low option. They are used to buying things from eager sellers and they are the ones trying to sell it close to the commodity price.

When I read the post the “found” word dinged loudest to me. For my time, etc. finding a source of possible cash is better than finding another long-term project. I’ve got a lot of long-term projects already.

The closer he can get to someone who needs those exactly the way they are, the more money he’ll get. I don’t have experience with this item but I wonder if small tire and repair shops would buy some at 60% of what they pay now. I don’t think someone would buy the whole deal in one transaction. Perhaps if he can find 3, 4, 5 shops, it might be wins for everyone. Or, put-em in ZipLoc bags and sell them on EBay. Be sure NOT to offer free shipping.

As far as making bullets, I can attest that I have a little experience casting bullets. But I don’t like wearing a cartridge mask, other PPE, special gloves and extra clothes in the heat for hours and hours. I don’t like worrying about lead poisoning or having to undergo chelation therapy for years. I don’t like getting burned (there’s always at least a little one). Also, I’m not very good at it. So trying to cast that much lead is not my idea of fun. But if anyone does like it, Jerry Miculek has a great video about it on YouTube.

Who knows? Maybe there are some muzzle-loader shooting enthusiast clubs that need lead for making their round balls and Minie’ balls. It would be better if they could use their own truck to come get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You are comparing price wise what sorted weights that need made into ingot prices with certified lead ingot.
    Even sorted clip ones need to be melted at controlled heat so the missed zinc floats.
    And needs the be skimed cleaned of clips and trash. Fluxed three times and then poured into ingot molds.
    The same with the stick ones as they are very close to pure lead and should be kept separate. That is so the buyer knows source most wants to use them for balls or fishing. Thus selling the ingots as 2 types.
    Or as a mix of both but stating bow much percent of each is in the ingots. That would be selling them as is the most money.
    Other than that sort the steel, zinc, lead and plastic. Yes they make hard plastic ones. And sell them as zinc, lead and steel at whatever it is going for.

With the zinc and lead bring the most.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I sorted 6 buckets and had clip on and stick on. Like stated above.
    But gave the steel to a buddy whjo scraps cars so he could place then inside a steel is not worth much in the amount I had.
    Also I wasted my time thinking that price on zinc was good but was not as scrap. I should have just junked the steel, and zinc like it was the plastic and trash for what it was worth. And kept or sold the 2 types of lead.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom