Your AR-15 - Part 2

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So the last thread spiraled well off topic and was closed. It was re-opened, but I asked to have it closed once more, because it didn't appear to have been going anywhere positive.

If you care to learn about the AR-15 platform, watching this video is a great place to start. Not all rifles are created equally. There are standards to adhere to and you may or may not have found out that there are companies who will meet these standards, some who will not, and some who will exceed these standards. The term Budget has been somewhat phased out and no longer relevant due to the influx of higher priced rifles that fail to meet quality standards.

The standard for AR-15 rifles is based on the Technical Data Package that has been revised over the years for the M16 & M4 platform of rifles. Due to legalities, there are some modifications made to consumer rifles and therefore the term "Milspec" isn't really applicable.

So, just what does MIL-SPEC really mean? Simply put, it means that there is a standard in place. In this case, a military standard (MIL-STD) or military specification (MIL-SPEC) acts as a way to ensure consistent reliability across a multitude of equipment.

The largest standard that we see within the AR world is known as the TDP, or “Technical Data Package.” The TDP was something created by Colt which states proprietary information on their rifles. This means size of gas port, length of springs, etc. This TDP became THE standard.

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/mil-spec-standard-weapon-systems/

AR Build Junkie is an excellent resource for information regarding the AR-15 platform.

Regardless if you buy an entry level rifle or a professional level rifle, there is no reason for it to be assembled improperly. When you spend your money with a company that has a reputation for quality, you are not only ensuring that you have quality parts, but you are ensuring that the rifle itself was assembled with knowledge and experience. I have multiple examples of entry level companies cutting corners to assemble their products faster and cheaper, which yields a higher profit margin. The only thing I can ask is for everyone to be informed and educate themselves. There are a lot of new firearm owners thanks to this surge in gun sales. Many of them are uneducated. Do your own homework. Research the why and not the who.

Lastly, if you are new to AR-15's or experienced with them, I highly suggest you listen to this video where Pat Rogers explains some things about the platform.

Last edited:

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    Thanks for the info .
    I've enjoy watching and learning from sotar .
    Their facebook group is just a trove of knowledge as well .

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If this isn't a sign of the times, then I don't know what is.

50773101601_c702007881_b.jpg

50773101621_a6ea1954ce_b.jpg

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Pssh who needs feed ramps!

Think about how many times it was missed.

Whoever made the extension missed it.
    Whoever installed the extension missed it.
    Whoever installed the barrel missed it.
    Whoever did final inspection missed it.

I'd bet that gun wasn't test fired.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    But I was told del-Ton, radical firearms, psa, Olympic arms etc were just as good !

Guess I’ll just stick with bear creek Arsenal or fox trot mike

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    So, do we have a list of 3 or so tiers to put various shops into? Or is it just Colt/Smith/Ruger(?) and everyone else? I didn't really read past the first page in the other thread, so point me in that direction if anyone made an objective list.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    So, do we have a list of 3 or so tiers to put various shops into? Or is it just Colt/Smith/Ruger(?) and everyone else? I didn't really read past the first page in the other thread, so point me in that direction if anyone made an objective list.

Tiers are subjective and not always accurate.

Having a budget in mind and what you expect from the rifle will be more helpful than looking at a tiered list. Price isn’t everything. Springfield charges a premium and makes one of the worst production AR-15’s on the current market.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Some of those videos can be agonizing to watch. It's blah blah blah---then 30 minutes of actual info.
    It's like stfu and get to the nuts and bolts. I don't want to hear a bunch of mindless drivel. If you have something to teach then get to it. If I wanted to hear mindless drivel and chatter, I'd tune in to the View.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Some of those videos can be agonizing to watch. It's blah blah blah---then 30 minutes of actual info.
    It's like stfu and get to the nuts and bolts. I don't want to hear a bunch of mindless drivel. If you have something to teach then get to it. If I wanted to hear mindless drivel and chatter, I'd tune in to the View.

It’s difficult to complain about free education.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom