Paddle or belt loop??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    I prefer belt loops for EDC OWB under a shirt. More secure/stable for me. Also, the pancake style holsters I use ride a little closer to the body than the paddle holsters “typically” do. The paddle holsters work well for range use, carrying out on your property, hunting etc...and the ease of on/off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I agree with Jasarii. I only carry OWB, usually concealed under just a thin t-shirt. Pancake style belt loop holsters seem to work best for me and provide me with the concealability I need and the comfort to wear all day long.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I prefer belt loops for EDC OWB under a shirt. More secure/stable for me. Also, the pancake style holsters I use ride a little closer to the body than the paddle holsters *typically* do. The paddle holsters work well for range use, carrying out on your property, hunting etc...and the ease of on/off.

What he said with SCK Holsters made by Jasarii.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    What he said with SCK Holsters made by Jasarii.

I agree on belt loops and SCK. Paddles are for someone who needs to take the holster on and off throughout the day. If you are going to keep it on then go belt loops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I agree with the above. Plus the paddle on my Safariland GLS isn’t very comfortable the way it’s molded to *fit* my hip. If I were bigger around it would be really uncomfortable.

Its worth mentioning I’ve tested the retention to the waistband and it could be removed against my will much easier than a closed loop but it wouldn’t be an easy task.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Belt loops for this guy. I like the pull the dot loops. The raven concealment QMS is pretty secure.

products-20120621-213906.jpg

southerncanuck

www.RangeSport.com (Use code "BayouShooter")
    Premium Member
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 3, 2019
    New Orleans
    I don't carry OWB often, but when I do I prefer the speed clips over standard belt loops. Pictured here on more of Jasarii's handiwork.

R7ASkkW.jpg

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Fixed loops. Always.

Paddles are not very comfortable or secure, and if concealment is the goal, they tend to push the holster further away from the body.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    The new PHLster Summit has a lot of adjustment for OWB carry.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My first choice is SCK, after that it would have to be the RCS Perun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Perun is good value. I like Will's holsters, but I'm not a fan of pancake kydex OWB holsters.

I'll be optimistic with the PHLster Summit, since PHLster makes very good quality products.

ajk3rd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    Covington, LA
    For security reasons I would say belt loop but if you need to take it off, often, during the day, I would go with the paddle. I like the paddle for convenience sake.

Rman

Free on weekends
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    City of Central
    Man I hate to disagree with all the long time listers, but before you jump, consider the ECP from RM Holsters. The company was founded on this little gem. Take it from a guy who has a *few*, these are the most comfortable OWBs you’ll ever put on. More stable than any belt loop holster I’ve ever owned and believe me, I had that *drawer full of holsters*. You won’t find better people to deal with, than Kee, nor better products than RM Holsters. He’s on the forum.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For years I was a firm believer in the Safariland ALS holster system. I owned at least a half-dozen, and all were fitted with paddles. They've all had use in competitive and daily wear situations and have never given any indication of coming loose.

That said, I've started to wear a leather OWB holster with my Glock 42, and I do appreciate that it sits a little closer to my body. It has a snap retention closure, so I'm not worried about the gun popping out.

So I guess the answer for me is "it depends." Do I want more of a duty carry-style rig that will be easier to draw from, or do I want something that sits a bit closer, making it easier to conceal with an untucked shirt?

mike

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Man I hate to disagree with all the long time listers, but before you jump, consider the ECP from RM Holsters. The company was founded on this little gem. Take it from a guy who has a *few*, these are the most comfortable OWBs you’ll ever put on. More stable than any belt loop holster I’ve ever owned and believe me, I had that *drawer full of holsters*. You won’t find better people to deal with, than Kee, nor better products than RM Holsters. He’s on the forum.

I have probably purchased 100 holsters in the last 60 years and tried RM Holsters before Kee was the owner. Kee did replace or modify a holster free of charge that I purchased from the previous owner and Kee is great to deal with but I have picked up about 3 dozen from SCK Holsters for myself and friends and we are all satisfied with his products.

Last edited:

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Unless I know that I won’t have to take it off and on during the day (or night) it’s paddles for me. I have four that I use, one each for what I like to carry.

If you always wear a tucked in shirt and have to take it off multiple times a day, paddles are required unless you want to be taking your belt on and off. I also don’t like having a holster on with nothing in it. I feel like it’s yelling “look, he’s not wearing his gun, let’s get him”.

I used to have a holster that had a wire frame clip instead of a paddle. It was great. Very comfortable. You could use it with a belt and not have to put anything inside your pants. It was stolen and I haven’t been able to find them. I bought it at Granberry’s Guns in the ‘70’s.

I’ve also taken the screws out of the bottom of the loop on OWB kydex holsters. It slips right over your belt. Great for carrying a J-frame.

RM Holsters

Aware
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    For anyone who has tried a paddle holster and didn't like how it felt, or the inconvenience of taking it on and off, give an RM Holster paddle holster a try. The paddle I make on my holsters is molded against the weapon just like the main body of the holster and is no wider than the holster itself. This makes it extremely comfortable and concealable. Anyone who wants to try before you buy an RM paddle holster you can PM on here or text me your information to 225-three three three-1729.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom